Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Friday thread] ...if it could save even one life

Options
  • 13-10-2017 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about Minister Ross this morning, and his standard for what laws are worth passing. Is there anything you'd like to see the good Minister introduce, if it could save even one life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

buffalo wrote: »
    I was thinking about Minister Ross this morning, and his standard for what laws are worth passing. Is there anything you'd like to see the good Minister introduce, if it could save even one life?

Outlaw driving, obviously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Well, banning motorised traffic would save the best part of 200 per year.
    That HAS to be worth it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a ridiculous standard to judge any measure on.

Ban unlit roads.

That would save more than one life.

So obviously, by this standard we must do it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ban having more than one person in a car at any one time.
    that way the overall danger of injury or fatality is reduced if a car is involved in a collision.

in order to be seen to be fair, they would also have to ban cyclists giving backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ban motor vehicles. Road deaths would be down to single figures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

Dozens of people drown in swimming pools and the sea every year. So, swimming should be banned unless you're wearing a life jacket.

Actually, in all seriousness, I just checked and the number of accidental drownings was 82 in 2016, a multiple of the number of cyclists killed on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous standard to judge any measure on.

Ban unlit roads.

That would save more than one life.

So obviously, by this standard we must do it.

But it's not reasonable to expect all roads to be lit. So we need to ban roads? Only one solution.....

6671c1b6b82bb83eb39d6e461a02c49caf2f79c0b1b7d9bd8a3e04dda8f63f2f.jpg

As cyclists we'll all just have to swap our road bikes for MTBs or CX bikes, and perhaps lycra for baggies and adapt to rougher terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Ban school runs - might save the life of the 68% of kids who are not involved in sport, or the 75% that don't walk to school
    Ban all processed foods - might save the life of the 1 in 4 kids who are obese
    Ban office work - might save the life of the one of the 60& of overweight adults

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Triathlons - they increase the risk of death quite a bit, impact on the sanctity and superior enjoyment of cycling by forcing unnecessary pre and post ride swims and runs, and let's not even talk about the style - compression socks to the knee and sleeveless jerseys. It's a health risk and fashion risk behaviour Joe, and we need to put a stop to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ban publicans from holding positions in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

:pac:

Only allow hi-vis coloured cars.

Mandatory helmets for vehicle occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Mandatory helmets for vehicle occupants.

Mandatory helmets for everyone! ALL OF THE TIME!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I think they should drop the speed limits, especially on the L-Roads. How's about "60 for safety" as the tag line...nice and catchy!

And roll out the ANPR(?) thing where your average speed over a section of road is captured so you're caught automaticaly for speeding. If they had them countrywide, people would slow down immediately: it's not the fear of the punishment, it's the fear of being caught that works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

buffalo wrote: »
    Mandatory helmets for everyone! ALL OF THE TIME!

Mandatory personal airbag biosuits for everyone! ALL OF THE TIME!

(In mandatory high vis colour, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Ban skateboarding on Tuesday's between 1pm & 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

All these Bans are well and good, but as i keep saying, its ENFORCEMENT that's needed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ban internet forums for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ban having more than one person in a car at any one time.
    that way the overall danger of injury or fatality is reduced if a car is involved in a collision.

in order to be seen to be fair, they would also have to ban cyclists giving backers.

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/910446188004020226?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ban peanuts, high heals and marathons. Ban competitive sports altogether.

As this law is not about banning, but forcing people to adapt new clothing, why don't we force overweight, people onto treadmills for a minimum of 30 minutes every day.

While we are at it, if somebody is considered overweight, they are only able to purchase healthy foods. At the checkout the customer scans his/her chip (installed in their arm), any foods that are deemed unhealthy while being scanned through are diverted down a chute and any approved items proceed on the conveyor belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

An enforced 30km speed limit in urban areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it's an unrealistic standards, but my realistic proposal would be:
    If a disqualified driver is caught driving a vehicle, they should get a life sentence in jail.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think it's an unrealistic standards, but my realistic proposal would be:
    If a disqualified driver is caught driving a vehicle, they should get a life sentence in jail.

I'd qualify that to

"If you injure/kill somebody with your vehicle you go to jail until they recover."

Advertisement