Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Liverpool V Manchester United - Sky 12:30pm

• 13-10-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Premier League comes back from the International Break with a bang.

mg_prem_matchday_lvpl_utd01.png?w=748&h=427&crop=1

Last 6 games going into this

Liverpool
    DDLWDD

Manchester United

WWWWWW

Head to Head
    Liverpool have failed to beat Manchester United in six Premier League games since since a 3-0 victory at Old Trafford in March 2014 (D2, L4).

United have won three of their past five league visits to Anfield (D1, L1), keeping clean sheets in the last two games.

Liverpool
    Liverpool have lost just one of the last 14 home games in all competitions (W8, D5).

However, they have only one victory in their last seven league and cup matches (D4, L2).

Defeat would leave Liverpool on 12 points from eight Premier League games, the same tally as when Brendan Rodgers was sacked in 2015-16.

Jurgen Klopp has only lost once in seven competitive meetings with Jose Mourinho (W3, D3).

Philippe Coutinho has registered nine goals and three assists in his last 12 Premier League games.

Manchester United
    A win on Saturday would give Manchester United a Premier League club record 22 points after eight games.

They have kept 17 Premier League clean sheets in 2017, three more than any other side.

United have also kept eight clean sheets in their last nine league games.

Romelu Lukaku could become the first player to score eight goals in his first eight Premier League games for Manchester United.

However, Lukaku has just one goal in his last seven games against Liverpool, failing to register a shot on target in five of those matches.

Marcus Rashford has recorded five goals and four assists in his last 10 appearances.

Team News
    Liverpool will be without forward Sadio Mane, who faces a six-week absence with a hamstring injury suffered during international duty for Senegal.

Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino are expected to be available despite a lengthy journey back from Chile.

Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini injured knee ligaments playing for Belgium.

Captain Michael Carrick is doubtful with a calf injury but defender Phil Jones should recover from a knee issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Wish I am wrong, but think it will be an easy 0-2 win for Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd have to give the edge to Liverpool. Klopps record against the big sides easily the more impressive of the two managers since their respective arrivals.

Should be fun though

2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

boring 0-0 with Jose playing 6-3-1 formation and parking the double decker

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Probably 0-1 utd.

Thread will be locked soon too I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Lock the thread, all the bases selected prediction wise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

United's first tough match and luckily for them Mané is missing. If they have any title aspirations José should be going all out for the win. United to win 2-0 unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jose to keep United patient and wait for the inevitable mistakes from Liverpool's defence and leave Anfield with all 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The lack of traffic on Boards these days will probably see the thread stay open.

1 goal in the 80 something minute will decide the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ole ole ole ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This is my least favourite game of the year. At least Mane is fit
    Awwwww crap

• Advertisement

Utd away to Anfield;

Expecting a high pressing one dimensional tactic from Liverpool at home.
    With Liverpools weak defense exposed multiple times on the break.

Both teams missing key players is annoying however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The lack of traffic on Boards these days will probably see the thread stay open.

1 goal in the 80 something minute will decide the game.

Wish I was that confident, but this Liverpool defence is a big worry against speed and United have added that to their attack this season. Unless they step up big time then their is only one winner in this and it is not the home team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

5-0 United

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Just a shame Pogba isn't available, Liverpool could've done with him producing a similar display this year.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Both teams missing key players is annoying however.

Besides Mané who else is missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'd be very disappointed not to win this given the respective form of both teams but as the old chiche (true in this case) goes, for this form goes out the window.

marvin80 wrote: »

Clyne and llalana.

United missing pogba, fellaini, Zlatan, Rojo and likely Carrick.

Besides Manho else is missing?

Lallana, Pogba, Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I'm going over to it tomorrow.
    I have been a jinx for the past 2 seasons when over for the matches.
    Jan 16 - Rooney late winner
    Mar 15 - Mata with 2 , Gerrard's moment of madness & red card, sturridge late reply

Hopefully its third time lucky but I honestly don't think we will win.

Serious pressure for Klopp going in to this game

Just checking for my fantasy football!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

surprisingly Liverpool are slight favourites in the bookies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

redzerdrog wrote: »

"form goes out the window", and such other cliches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm going over to it tomorrow.
    I have been a jinx for the past 2 seasons when over for the matches.
    Jan 16 - Rooney late winner
    Mar 15 - Mata with 2 , Gerrard's moment of madness & red card, sturridge late reply

Hopefully its third time lucky but I honestly don't think we will win.

Serious pressure for Klopp going in to this game

You've a very inappropriate username :):)

Pogba & Fellani are unavaiable and a doubt to Phil Jones

I thought Lalanna and Clyne are also missing

redzerdrog wrote: »

The home team. Not that surprising.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Pogba & Fellani are unavaiable and a doubt to Phil Jones

I thought Lalanna and Clyne are also missing

Ssn was saying Jones should be OK but Carrick is a big doubt. Running out of mf options.

Hope it's a cracker with plenty of bite to it (from a neutral point of view).

Not enough of those types of matches these days.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ssn was saying Jones should be OK but Carrick is a big doubt. Running out of mf options.

Terrible that you have to pair last seasons best outfield player with arguably the same from this season. The paucity of options! :pac:

5starpool wrote: »
    Terrible that you have to pair last seasons best outfield player with arguably the same from this season. The paucity of options! :pac:

Assuming you are talking of Herrera & Matic?
    You've got a point!
    And Herrera does tend to piss off Liverpool players and fans....:pac:

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

Haha yeah I know what you mean but I'm sure you'd prefer if it was yourself to have the manager decide the team not injuries. Besides those two we really have no other first team cm players available. Not ideal when you think we have you, Chelsea and spurs in the next four league games and 6 matches before the end of the month.

Hopefully we'll see a few of them return sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

A game of chances Liverpool win easily, goals scored United win 2-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The whinging and crying when Jose plays the Jose way - which in actual fact is the best way to play against a Pool team who are all talk and no trousers. Let them have the bleedin ball, they can do nothing with it anyway, draw them in and then hit them.

"dinosaur football", "park the bus"

Yeah.

Hopefully a red card mid way through the second half that "ruins the game" too, that's always a go-to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Has there been a combined XI yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I haven't been impressed with united at all this season. Look like a side that haven't gotten through the gears yet which is worrying given their record so far. With that said We have been so wasteful its untrue and we cant do that tomorrow because united will expose us at some point and more than once.

I've a horrible feeling of United winning this relatively comfortable. Mane out and Firmino and Coutinho definitely not right after some long travelling could cost us towards the end of the game if we have to chase it which i fear we might.

United 3-1 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Said this on the LFC thread, but with no idea what liverpool team is gonna show up id give the advantage to UTD

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hope it's a cracker with plenty of bite to it (from a neutral point of view).

Not enough of those types of matches these days

Rovers V Dundalk was the other night, any game between the top LOI sides is.

On this game, I fancy Utd to dominate 2/3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GavRedKing wrote: »

You must be looking to build your yellow card numbers :p:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'll go 2-1 Utd. Mane is a huge loss, Salah and Fermino will miss their fair share of one on one's while Coutinho will put his fair share of shots into the stand. Utd will be more clinical. The usual.

Hopefully though, the international break will have helped LFC break their poor run of form while disrupting Utd's good form. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Trying to think of the last time I was so resigned to losing one of these games and I'm struggling to remember

I assume it would have been one of the Hod*son era games

Nearly everyone predicting a United win. Always amazed how many people get sucked in by short term form.

There's a reason Liverpool are slight favourites here you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Nearly everyone predicting a United win. Always amazed how many people get sucked in by short term form.

lol

lol

United fans are over valuing their sides ability, Liverpool fans are under valuing there's, it's leading to a perfect storm of all United win predictions.

It's far from the actual reality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

My head says it will be tight enough, but My gut says this is Uniteds chance to make an example out of a wounded Liverpool squad with very little depth.

Going with my gut, 3-0 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GavRedKing wrote: »

There's an article in the Daily Mail today if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It’s going to be either a draw or a loss for either team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Football will be the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You must be looking to build your yellow card numbers :p:D:pac:

I've a quota to fill, like breath tests I migt just skew it and hand out random ones. :o
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's an article in the Daily Mail today if you're interested.

I seen it actually, dont agree with it either.

FWIW, I think Utd might just sneak it, Klopp has a good record against the top sides and Jose but this Utd team is setup to deal with Liverpools threat and be devasting on the counter.

If Pool go for the gung ho approach, it could be a long afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I could see Herrera being set on Coutinho like he was on Hazard last season. Take Coutinho out of the game, with Mané missing, and Liverpool are severely neutered imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

United fans are over valuing their sides ability, Liverpool fans are under valuing there's, it's leading to a perfect storm of all United win predictions.

It's far from the actual reality though.

So you think the reality is that Liverpool are a better team more likely to win this game than United are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Fools and money??? :pac:

Just a few stats..

These 2 teams have played each other 50 times in the Premier League, with Manchester United tipping the scales with 27 wins compared to Liverpool's tally of 13; with the remaining 10 ending in draws.
    Liverpool have won this fixture once in the last 7 attempts in the Premier League, and that was a 3-0 romp at Old Trafford in the '13/14 season.
    Liverpool’s players have been well-travelled over the international break and could face a disadvantage, with the squad travelling a total of 75,484 miles by the time they return to Anfield for the return of the Premier League; 5,793 miles further than the Man Utd Squad (69,691 miles).
    Despite recent form, Liverpool have an extremely positive league record in October. They are unbeaten in the Premier League in this month since a 2-0 defeat to Everton in '11/12, with Roy Hodgson at the helm (W11 D10).
    Romelu Lukaku is on fire for Man Utd, scoring 7 goals so far this season and 1 in each of the last 4 Premier League games.

fools i say fools :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement