Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Liverpool V Manchester United - Sky 12:30pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

After spending a billion on cast and crew and getting them to make the tea and clean the toilets instead of taking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Did he bottle it?

He had 1 chance all game and well he could have done better but is that the definition of a 'bottler'?

If it was a one off then no but when it constantly happens against the bigger teams then maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Unearthly wrote: »
    Look at all the posts start of last season. People saying he is finished in the game, that the game has passed him by while saying people like Klopp are the future of the game.

1 year later, 2 trophies later, top of the league, and comfortable in CL. He's having a grand time

Yet, also look at the posts expecting him to finish top two last year. It'd be all different when he was manager of United they said. He played the same way in the corresponding fixture and ended up sixth. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's a wasted opportunity.

This was a wasted opportunity.

dfx- wrote: »
    Yet, also look at the posts expecting him to finish top two last year. It'd be all different when he was manager of United they said. He played the same way in the corresponding fixture and ended up sixth. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's a wasted opportunity.

Not in the context of how we are doing in the league this season in it's entirety.

Leave it until the end of the season before you judge

I see clear progress in this Utd team

I see nothing but the same old from Liverpool

Liverpool will lose or draw next week and the meltdowns will continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Did he bottle it?

He had 1 chance all game and well he could have done better but is that the definition of a 'bottler'?

Not just the chance he missed, his general play was poor also. This is the Lukaku I've watched at Everton, hopeless in the big games when the intensity is high and he doesn't have space. Any suggestion that the "he doesn't do it against the big teams" has been debunked is very wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What would Liverpool be? The assasins who couldnt fire through a cupboard? Impressive.

pjohnson wrote: »
    What would Liverpool be? The assasins who couldnt fire through a cupboard? Impressive.

Well if Bruce Willis was hiding in a cupboard why would we need to kill him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Anyone who thinks Utd should be embarrassed by that haven't watched José teams in big games before. This is what he does. He tried to beat the shíte in the league, and tried to nick a point away to the big teams.

If he does that, he's a great shot of winning any league.

He'll have been delighted by that.

That may anger some people, but it's true. He makes the opposition come and try to win the game. Of course Utd are capable of more, but it's not how Mourinho operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Congrats to Liverpool for the moral victory today

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Utd should be embarrassed by that haven't watched José teams in big games before. This is what he does. He tried to beat the shíte in the league, and tried to nick a point away to the big teams.

That may anger some people, but it's true. He makes the opposition come and try to win the game. Of course Utd are capable of more, but it's not how Mourinho operates.

It wasn't the classic Mourinho bus job though, I thought they gave up a number of chances and had Liverpool been more clinical would have lost the game. I thought last year was better from them defensively.

Would still put City, Chelsea and Spurs ahead of them so would be surprised if they win the league.

Can't disagree with any of this, Again fair play

Not just the chance he missed, his general play was poor also. This is the Lukaku I've watched at Everton, hopeless in the big games when the intensity is high and he doesn't have space. Any suggestion that the "he doesn't do it against the big teams" has been debunked is very wide of the mark.

Looks heavy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

'Afraid of our counter-attack'

Master of spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not in the context of how we are doing in the league this season in it's entirety.

Leave it until the end of the season before you judge

I see clear progress in this Utd team

I see nothing but the same old from Liverpool

Liverpool will lose or draw next week and the meltdowns will continue

You could say that about any result. You could afford to go for it and lose...and still win the league. You could argue they did it better last season against a better Liverpool side.

So you may as well go win it...

You could say that about any result. You could afford to go for it and lose...and still win the league. You could argue they did it better last season against a better Liverpool side.

That's fine whatever you think

Ultimately this Utd team are miles ahead of Liverpool

And the results at the end of the season will show that

Liverpool won't win snot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So the teams United could not beat City have beaten by 5 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Top of the league lol
    Top of the league

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

That's fine whatever you think

Ultimately this Utd team are miles ahead of Liverpool

And the results at the end of the season will show that

Liverpool won't win snot

Possibly, but if Utd don't win the league/CL, which I don't think they will, it will hardly be dancing in the streets of Manchester time.

fullstop wrote: »
    Nope

Defo not Liverpool. fullstop.

:)

rgace wrote: »
    Possibly, but if Utd don't win the league/CL, which I don't think they will, it will hardly be dancing in the streets of Manchester time.

Utd will win trophies, like they did last season

That makes me happy

• Advertisement

rgace wrote: »

Winning the league at ManU wouldn't be as expected though as it was in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So the teams United could not beat City have beaten by 5 goals

And the team city couldn't beat, united beat by 4 goals

*rolls eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You reckon they will end up 6th this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Winning the league at ManU wouldn't be as expected though as it was in recent years.

Really I think most utd fans expect to win it in the next 2 maybe 3 years.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Really I think most utd fans expect to win it in the next 2 maybe 3 years.

I don't think any fan should be expecting the league in a given year. There are 3 big spending teams that should be challenging each year relative to money spent and two will have to miss out. I think a dominant era for any one team is probably gone for a while.

Lads, if Utd fans don't expect to win the League, then I don't know what it'd take.

José has everything he needs. There is no excuse.

If they don't win it, they simply aren't good enough. They and City are way ahead of the rest if managed correctly. Their squads are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

So united wouldn't be expected to win the league???? the amount of cash they have spent was to what, get back into the top 4?

Liverpool were the only team who tried today and they looked the better side.

United have gotten results against the weaker sides. That kind of form never won the league for arsenal so I foresee it happening for the Portuguese pulis.

The only other tough game united had this league season, Jose cried about his team being the only team trying to win. Now his side had 6 touches in Liverpool's box.

Pathetic

Mr.H wrote: »
    United have gotten results against the weaker sides. That kind of form never won the league for arsenal

Yes it did. They just started losing to the big teams too regularly.

José doesn't lose regularly to the better teams. It's why he did what he did today. It gets a point, which is all he felt he really needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I don't see the value of not being more positive. Like they were never getting more than a point today. It would take three of those to equal a win. And even at that you're going to lose some games as well playing like that.

Jose's record was always excellent at other sides against big teams so this isn't his way. He's always been more pragmatic in said games but got positive results more often than not. He hasn't at United. Needs addressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Mr.H wrote: »
    So united wouldn't be expected to win the league???? the amount of cash they have spent was to what, get back into the top 4?

Liverpool were the only team who tried today and they looked the better side.

United have gotten results against the weaker sides. That kind of form never won the league for arsenal so I foresee it happening for the Portuguese pulis.

The only other tough game united had this league season, Jose cried about his team being the only team trying to win. Now his side had 6 touches in Liverpool's box.

Pathetic

And how many times have we heard kloop bitch and moan this seson with the other 3 draws in the league. We got the results against the weaker sides where liverpool failed to do the same. It exactly those results that win you league

It was a ****e game either way as these hyped games tend to be

• Advertisement

At least Martial is a step closer to his dream of being a left back....

Haha that top of the league chant lasted almost a full hour!! Dogsh!t football from United. 6-3-1....laughable. Fergie musta spat some amount of gum watching that.

Bobby Charlton was spot on not wanting Jose anywhere near United.

Lads, if Utd fans don't expect to win the League, then I don't know what it'd take.

José has everything he needs. There is no excuse.

If they don't win it, they simply aren't good enough. They and City are way ahead of the rest if managed correctly. Their squads are ridiculous.

Think about it though, City, Chelsea and United are all spending a fortune. Each one of those teams should expect a title challenge. But two need to lose out. Accepting nothing less than the trophy over a 38 game season with all the variables thrown in, whilst a couple of other teams are spending similar amounts simultaneously is unrealistic and not understanding the realities of the competition in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Unearthly wrote: »
    And the team city couldn't beat, united beat by 4 goals

*rolls eyes*

Christ, been about thirty years since I heard an argument like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

At least Martial is a step closer to his dream of being a left back....

Haha that top of the league chant lasted almost a full hour!! Dogsh!t football from United. 6-3-1....laughable. Fergie musta spat some amount of gum watching that.

Bobby Charlton was spot on not wanting Jose anywhere near United.

For some reason I sense you’re not really laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

It's quite a compliment to Liverpool that Jose feels a 0-0 is the best he can do. It shows a lot of respect to Liverpool and a fair dose of fear which I find strange given the players he has at his disposal.

Utd have 6 away games against the top six each season. If Jose adopts the same (grab a point) strategy in all six games and is successful he'll end up with 6 points but if he sets up to actually compete and try to win each game I'd bet he'd win at least 2 and likely draw another 2 which would result in 8 points but then what do I know??

It's quite a compliment to Liverpool that Jose feels a 0-0 is the best he can do. It shows a lot of respect to Liverpool and a fair dose of fear which I find strange given the players he has at his disposal.

Utd have 6 away games against the top six each season. If Jose adopts the same (grab a point) strategy in all six games and is successful he'll end up with 6 points but if he sets up to actually compete and try to win each game I'd bet he'd win at least 2 and likely draw another 2 which would result in 8 points but then what do I know??

5:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Rekop dog wrote: »
    5:pac::pac::pac:

Too many pints!! You get the p(o)int though :P

5 away games against the others in the top 6 so :o

5 points from draws Vs 6 or 7 if they win 2 or win 2 and draw 1.

Too many pints!! You get the p(o)int though :P

5 away games against the others in the top 6 so :o

5 points from draws Vs 6 or 7 if they win 2 or win 2 and draw 1.

:DI actually agree with your overall point though. And you're probably being kind to them giving the 5 draws. City and Spurs would likely break them down if they approached the game in a similar manner as today.

I think with Pogba, fellani, mata & Baily in the Utd team we could have easily would today

Ah well a point will do

Biggest mistake from Jose was not bringing on Mata

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Utd would remind you Wimbledon when they were in their pomp in the 80s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Utd would remind you Wimbledon when they were in their pomp in the 80s...

No,Wimbledon won one nil.

The funniest thing about this thread is the half wits who slate MON for playing defensively, yet praise Jose for doing even worse with a massively better team. Beggars belief. They do exist though! :D

What's hilarious is lads comparing an international game to a PL game :)

Yeah cos that strengthens the point I'm making, you're having a tough day understanding simple explanations though, I'll leave you back to moaning about MON and praising Jose. Irony in the extreme.

Totally comparable situations apparently :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I doubt he set them up to be quite as toothless as they were today, especially in the second half, I think Liverpool controlled the game well against a good team.

Mourinho's thinking in those games is set up not to lose and pick up one or two wins from set piece goals or a breakaway or whatever so he wouldn't agree with your points comparison.

Totally comparable situations apparently :)

11 men v 11, in the same sport, with the same rules.

Only MON has to make do with a limited pool of limited players.

Yet Jose spends more than any other manager in world football.

And you choose to criticise one of the above.

Says it all about comprehension abilities right there.

Some posters seem to be a wickle bit irritated

Take a deep breath

Because you are comparing apples to oranges

We shall see how the season pans out

Thing is Utd will beat the teams that they should be beating easily this season

And I'd put any money on them beating Liverpool at Old Trafford too

The difference between wannabes and winners really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It could be worse

We could be Arsenal

Some posters seem to be a wickle bit condescending and childish.

The ol"take a deep breath", I couldn't be any calmer watching Arsenal arse things up here.

I'll put money on me not replying to anymore of your posts though, as you seem about as reasonable as a 12 year old girl defending her favourite band.

Jose finished 5th last season and won 2 pointless trophies :) we finished 4th. Na na na na na. Talking your language now :)

Get back to getting a pasting in the United thread, nice too see not all fans are as delusional as you in there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement