Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Liverpool V Manchester United - Sky 12:30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Some posters seem to be a wickle bit condescending and childish.

The ol"take a deep breath", I couldn't be any calmer watching Arsenal arse things up here.

I'll put money on me not replying to anymore of your posts though, as you seem about as reasonable as a 12 year old girl defending her favourite band.

Jose finished 5th last season and won 2 pointless trophies :) we finished 4th. Na na na na na. Talking your language now :)

Get back to getting a pasting in the United thread, nice too see not all fans are as delusional as you in there.

Get your facts right man, we finish 6th not 5th. Jeez.

Actually it's clearly boiling down to some person having an issue with an individual poster and embarrassing themselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

8th in the league.

9pts off the pace.

Couldn't beat a rubbish united side that resemble Wimbledon at home.

I can clearly see why you're all so up beat

Watford in the top 4

Looks like the league is playing out as normal :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The funniest thing about this thread is the half wits who slate MON for playing defensively, yet praise Jose for doing even worse with a massively better team. Beggars belief. They do exist though! :D

Anyone who slates responsible defensive play is a halfwit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My team was better than your team today but didn't win or lose so it was a draw.

Hopefully my team will win their next game and your team will lose their game against whoever that may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Jaysus, there's some amount of shiite in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's got the stage now where Mod's don't even have to lock these threads after a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some posters seem to be a wickle bit condescending and childish.

The ol"take a deep breath", I couldn't be any calmer watching Arsenal arse things up here.

I'll put money on me not replying to anymore of your posts though, as you seem about as reasonable as a 12 year old girl defending her favourite band.

Jose finished 5th last season and won 2 pointless trophies :) we finished 4th. Na na na na na. Talking your language now :)

Get back to getting a pasting in the United thread, nice too see not all fans are as delusional as you in there.
    Might as well win them when you get all the way to the final.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Most utd fans seem to reckon that ye have better players, team and manager than Liverpool. If Liverpool fans reckon that about a team (Everton or West Ham, say) and go out and barely try to attack and played for a draw, there would have been a lot of confused Liverpool fans.

Perhaps Jose doesn't reckon they are a much better team, or perhaps as a master tactician he couldn't see a way to win this game other than smash and grab essentially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Leagues aren’t won in one game week

The significance of this draw will be seen in May, if we lose the league by 2 points then you have a case, if we win the league who gives a fùck if we drew at Anfield

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Leagues aren’t won in one game week

The significance of this draw will be seen in May, if we lose the league by 2 points then you have a case, if we win the league who gives a fùck if we drew at Anfield

It's not the fact that ye drew. That has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that ye went away to a team that ye clearly consider to be inferior in quality against a manager that plays predictable football we're told, and didn't even try to win the game apart from the possibility of a set piece or a mistake of some sort.

It's like the tactic that West Brom try at the Emirates, or Burnley at Stamford Bridge.

I know football fans, players, managers are generally all hypocrites anyhow, but Mourinho does his fair share of whinging when teams play against his lot like that and manage to get something.

Always good to read spoofers pre match predictions post game.

Salt lake city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

5starpool wrote: »
    It's not the fact that ye drew. That has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that ye went away to a team that ye clearly consider to be inferior in quality against a manager that plays predictable football we're told, and didn't even try to win the game apart from the possibility of a set piece or a mistake of some sort.

It's like the tactic that West Brom try at the Emirates, or Burnley at Stamford Bridge.

I know football fans, players, managers are generally all hypocrites anyhow, but Mourinho does his fair share of whinging when teams play against his lot like that and manage to get something.

Because Mourinho wanted his point, and he got it. He’ll live or die by that decision in May, why Mourinho wanted is beyond you or me because we’re not the ones with 16 major trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You are too long watching football to not understand why Mourinho deliberately plays for a scaldy draw at Anfield. There were years where our team was vastly superior to Liverpool, most years in the PL era tbh, and we still lost and even got spanked on occasion. Like, if there is one thing Mourinho cannot be criticised for, it is his game management.

ddea4928c72aabef6151ba2b0566520252eee8717a38a30ec01f1153c873e0e8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Fcuking hell Mick, you're better than that. What a stupid, nonsensical tweet. Why would anyone on the planet think those stats mean anything considering they probably eclipsed most United players today.

This fixture can render even what are usually the soundest posters insufferable. Can't wait for this thread to be locked up.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Fcuking hell Mick, you're better than that. What a stupid, nonsensical tweet. Why would anyone on the planet think those stats mean anything considering they probably eclipsed most United players today.

This fixture can render even what are usually the soundest posters insufferable. Can't wait for this thread to be locked up.

It's descended into montessori Donald Trump level I think

In fairness it's been tame enough

Tbf lad, you can point the finger at me but there's a few Klopps in here no better

Maybe that stat was a bit off but tbf points out he was man marked out of it

Herrera did a good job keeping him quite and I'm ok with that

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's descended into montessori Donald Trump level I think

In fairness it's been tame enough

I'd rather people taking verbal lumps out of each other rather than this crap though. It's so fcuking tiring reading how Mourinho is an otherworldly genius for placing eight or nine highly paid men behind a football for ninety minutes with instructions to get rid of it as quickly and as far as possible.

Looking forward to a good game of football against Spurs next week, I've already moved on from whatever this was.

I'd rather people taking verbal lumps out of each other rather than this crap though. It's so fcuking tiring reading how Mourinho is an otherworldly genius for placing eight or nine highly paid men behind a football for ninety minutes with instructions to get rid of it as quickly and as far as possible.

Looking forward to a good game of football against Spurs next week, I've already moved on from whatever this was.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Insufferable ?

Trophies are pointless, playing like Burnley or West Brom away to whatever.

Liverpool created one decent chance in the game knowing tactically how Mourinho would set out to play, there was no plan B to win the game as usual. United didn't have a plan A to win the game yet we all knew how this game would pan out.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Tbf lad, you can point the finger at me but there's a few Klopps in here no better

Maybe that stat was a bit off but tbf points out he was man marked out of it

Herrera did a good job keeping him quite and I'm ok with that

I'm not pointing the finger at you in particular, I'm saying that in general the quality of posting drops off a cliff for this match and that includes me sometimes tbf, a lot more emotional posting goes on for this one than it would for either side playing Swansea away, for example, and it rarely goes too well.

As for those stats, I'm not saying they're inaccurate, I'm saying they don't matter at all, not even a little bit. There were enough times Coutinho left Herrera in his trail in the second half but then there's another four United lads there to stop him in his tracks or get in the way of one of his passes. Phil wasn't much less effective than usual today tbh, it wasn't one of his good games but he didn't lose an individual battle with Herrera today, even if I look at it as unbiased as humanly possible. One man tried to play football, the other tried to stop him and it pretty much evened itself out. Herrera did a much better job on Hazard last season.

• Advertisement

Fair point martyos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mourinho is some manager. Having Liverpool V Man U as the last game on MOTD is some achievement.

Everybody knew what Mourinho would do today. When it comes to big games, no matter who it is he is actually managing, he will set his team out like a League 2 or non league side against a Premier League team to get something from that match. He'd play Messi at centre back if he thought he could get a point.

Now, if he played like that week in, week out he'd be there to be shot at, but the man gets results. It's not very tactical or genius, (there's a reason he only lasts three years at a club) but he gets results. He can simply point to his trophy cabinet. He's Pulis with trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mourinho is some manager. Having Liverpool V Man U as the last game on MOTD is some achievement.

That's a success by his "big game" standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Well to be fair united were playing a top 4 side and usually these non top 4 sides are delighted to come away with a 0-0 so it's expected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I believe there where two teams playing.

I can't stand the man. He is an utter utter hyprocrite. He is actually the one who brought the term 'parking the bus' into English football when Martin Jol's Spurs came to Stamford Bridge for nothing but a nil all draw.

But the league isn't just about today. He gets the point in a huge match and then he can go out and batter the likes of West Ham, Swansea etc. It's not the Man U way, i do wonder what Ferguson thinks about it. But's it's the Mourinho way and it's all about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I believe there where two teams playing.

Only looked like one to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Mr.H wrote: »
    Only looked like one to be fair

Really I could have sworn I saw two teams on the pitch.

Most utd fans seem to reckon that ye have better players, team and manager than Liverpool. If Liverpool fans reckon that about a team (Everton or West Ham, say) and go out and barely try to attack and played for a draw, there would have been a lot of confused Liverpool fans.

Perhaps Jose doesn't reckon they are a much better team, or perhaps as a master tactician he couldn't see a way to win this game other than smash and grab essentially?

Or the blue Print to beating a klopp team is to let them have the ball and hit them on the counter.
    We were ****e today but every team will do this to Liverpool as it negates klopps tactic of having 10 Marathon runners in a football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Mr.H wrote: »
    Well to be fair united were playing a top 4 side and usually these non top 4 sides are delighted to come away with a 0-0 so it's expected

nah

YpPaifh.jpg

8BCBkt0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It was partly tactical but they were also outplayed somewhat. I can't believe he envisaged so few attacks against such an exploitable defence this season. There was evidence in the Southhampton match where they struggled against smaller technical team. There was evidence all last season of that. I said in United thread that once these run of fixtures come their title bid will come off the rails. If they drop points against City and Spurs also it breeds negativity into the side and that's when your confidence gets shaken and start to also drop points where you shouldn't.

monkey9 wrote: »

Yep it's pretty amazing the manager of the attacking tsunami that is Liverpool who have one win in 8 couldn't manage to score against a wimbledon clone.

Yet the manager who's 2nd in the league and scoring for fun is "negative"

Delusional

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It was partly tactical but they were also outplayed somewhat. I can't believe he envisaged so few attacks against such an exploitable defence this season. There was evidence in the Southhampton match where they struggled against smaller technical team. There was evidence all last season of that. I said in United thread that once these run of fixtures come their title bid will come off the rails. If they drop points against City and Spurs also it breeds negativity into the side and that's when your confidence gets shaken and start to also drop points where you shouldn't.

If uniteds title challenge might come off the rails, where's Liverpools at the moment? flushed down the toilet surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Or the blue Print to beating a klopp team is to let them have the ball and hit them on the counter.
    We were ****e today but every team will do this to Liverpool as it negates klopps tactic of having 10 Marathon runners in a football.

The only team to beat Liverpool in the league this season didn't employ those tactics and if you look at results that tactic has only resulted in a win for the opposition once in the last 20 or so league games.

• Advertisement

The only team to beat Liverpool in the league this season didn't employ those tactics and if you look at results that tactic has only resulted in a win for the opposition once in the last 20 or so league games.

The game LIverpool were on top in or doing well in, till they had a man sent off.

You saying LIverpool dont struggle against teams that sit back against them?

1 win int their last 8 isn't it? It seems a pretty effective tactic in stopping them winning at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The game LIverpool were on top in or doing well in, till they had a man sent off.

1 win int their last 8 isn't it? It seems a pretty effective tactic in stopping them winning at the least.

I think they struggled last January /February against those type of teams. This year I don't think they have struggled chances are being created but not been taken in a lot of the recent games. Not yesterday there was only a couple of really good chances but they aren't going to come up against a manager that can organise a defence as well as Jose too often.

I think they struggled last January /February against those type of teams. This year I don't think they have struggled chances are being created but not been taken in a lot of the recent games. Not yesterday there was only a couple of really good chances but they aren't going to come up against a manager that can organise a defence as well as Jose too often.

I'll admit I'm not following other teams in the premiership as closely as I would have in other years and if Liverpool are creating lots of (good?) chances this year then they should improve results or goals for against that type of defence.

Yesterday was a piss poor game so I wouldn't be overly judging either team on it. Uniteds game plan defensively worked fairly well but offensively it was terrible and some of that lies with the players having a bad game. They didnt even put Liverpool under pressure from set pieces which was prob the minimum required and created only one chance of note from open play.

I expect us to be more threatening the next time Jose decides to play this way as you can't offer so little going forward no matter how good you might be defensively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

limnam wrote: »
    If uniteds title challenge might come off the rails, where's Liverpools at the moment? flushed down the toilet surely ?

Yeah I never claimed they had one buddy. Reckon they'll both end up battling it out for Champions league spots come the business end, United probably looking the likelier right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This match told me about both teams, tactics and the EPL in general.

Firstly, both teams aren't as good as they think they are, despite all the money spent.

Secondly, José really is anti football. He has been getting praise all season so far as he hasn't played a decent team. As soon as he comes up against what is considered a big team and rival, he reverted to type and bored us senseless. You'd think with all the money he has spent he would have more to offer than playing for a nil nil.

And lastly, the EPL most entertaining league in the world? Give me a break. Compare this annually overhyped game with juve lazio game from supposedly the home of negative, boring football.

The more I see of these type of tactics the more I am admiring Pep. He would never let his team play like that, home or away, irrespective of the opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

I don't really buy that narrative tbh. Mane sending off, while was a key moment, didn't change the result that much. I fully think that City would have beaten Liverpool regardless but obviously not by quite an empathic scoreline. City at that point was settling down and the goal they had (prior the sending off) settled the nerves for them and were starting to control the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People seem to make more conclusions on the back of this fixture than any other every year.

Both teams missing their best player, United missing 2 midfielders who have been directly involved in 8 goals in about 650 minutes this season and playing an unfamiliar combination of players. Led to a clunky performance where nobody was on the same page in an attacking sense for United which I'm not sure was entirely Jose's plan.

I mean Jose went for the draw and got it. Was I disappointed at how he played? Yes. I believe he afforded Liverpool too much respect but when you are missing your best centre back, centre mid and arguably best striker (though counting Zlatan is a reach i'll concede), settling for a draw away to your biggest rivals, who play very well generally in big games, is understandable. You could see Smalling almost managed to fúck it up when deep defending is what he is normally actually good at, if he was playing a high line Liverpool would have tore United apart.

Jose gets accused of killing football despite being unbeaten in the league after 8 games, scoring 2nd most and conceding least. Managing games is why he has won so many leagues so I will trust him on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

People getting upset and offended by Jose doing exactly what they said he'd do. He could've played expansive, open football and gotten a 2-2 draw and so what. To both managers, it's still only a point.
    Klopp playing the sympathy card by saying he tried to play football, but bold boy Jose was a meany and set up to defend. Klopp would be delighted with a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford regardless of the style of football played.
    A draw at Anfield by the end of the season might be a damn good result. There's so much hype and pressure on both teams for this one game and it's still only 3 points. We dropped 2 points to Stoke while trying to win the game, but nobody seems that bothered now, several weeks later. Why is two points dropped at Anfield any worse.
    IF United are title hopefuls, Liverpool certainly aren't. We didn't drop two points to title rivals. We dropped two points to a bogey team. City, Chelsea and Spurs will do likewise
    I'm more interested in how Jose sets up against the actual title rivals before I'd judge his tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone lock this thread! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm more interested in how Jose sets up against the actual title rivals before I'd judge his tactics.

Let's be honest, when he plays the likes of Man City, Chelsea in the league, or Barca, Real Madrid, PSG etc in the CL, we are going to see more of what we saw yesterday.

The man knows no other way.

Hes likes MON with a tan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement