Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Liverpool V Manchester United - Sky 12:30pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

They won't so he won't, why are so many people talking about Utd thrashing Liverpool at Anfield, as bad as Liverpool have been this season they have only lost once on all competitions

You're actually taking them 3/4-0 scoreline predictions seriously.

too easy

:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm assuming Herrera wasn't in the Spanish squad so he's been along with Jose for a lot of the last 2 weeks planning for this game.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm assuming Herrera wasn't in the Spanish squad so he's been along with Jose for a lot of the last 2 weeks planning for this game.

Yep, there's word that Herrera had to move into The Lowry alongside Jose for the last 2 weeks.

A worker from the hotel reported that when she went in to service Ander's room, he was hog-tied on the floor with his mouth taped over, surrounded by LCD screens featuring looping footage of Philip Coutinho doing his Sky Sport's line-up pose. When the hotel worker ran to help Ander and remove the tape from his mouth, he screamed at her "What the fúck are you doing!? This was my idea. Now I have to start again!"

Ander has since been seen walking around the streets of Deansgate with a 1,000 yard stare in his eyes. Rambling something about "I do not tackle and disrupt opposition play with my foot, he who tackles and disrupts opposition play with his foot has forgotten the face of his father, I tackle and disrupt opposition play with my mind".

It's a bold strategy Jayop, let's see if it pays off for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I like the direction this thread is taking already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Where did I say they were better? The discussion was about what happens tomorrow. A team can be better in big games but worse overall. It's not mutually exclusive.

You mentioned the betting markets and how they made Liverpool favs for this game, at 7/4, as if that was an indication to the merits of both sides. The markets make United significantly better in any given game, and overall. If the game was at Old Trafford United would be a significant shade of odds on. On a neutral venue, United would be 13/10 or so and Liverpool 9/4+. Thats what these current odds indicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You mentioned the betting markets and how they made Liverpool favs for this game, at 7/4, as if that was an indication to the merits of both sides. The markets make United significantly better in any given game, and overall. If the game was at Old Trafford United would be a significant shade of odds on. On a neutral venue, United would be 13/10 or so and Liverpool 9/4+. Thats what these current odds indicate

Ya but it's not neutral venue you doughnut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nearly everyone predicting a United win. Always amazed how many people get sucked in by short term form.

There's a reason Liverpool are slight favourites here you know.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ya but it's not neutral venue you doughnut

Original post I'm referring to above there. "Doughnut". Cute

Original post I'm referring to above there. "Doughnut". Cute

United won't win **** tomorrow. Defend defend defend. If they win I'll wear a utd jersey around work for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

United won't win **** tomorrow. Defend defend defend. If they win I'll wear a utd jersey around work for a day.

Throwing in some sort of double jinx, maybe triple if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jose really doesn't get the credit he deserves. LVG was there and nobody said anything bad about him but players seem
    to really love playing for Jose even though his tactics are supposedly negative. Even Ronaldo who apparently didn't like Jose before the Real job didn't say anything bad about him.

• Advertisement

Yep, there's word that Herrera had to move into The Lowry alongside Jose for the last 2 weeks.

A worker from the hotel reported that when she went in to service Ander's room, he was hog-tied on the floor with his mouth taped over, surrounded by LCD screens featuring looping footage of Philip Coutinho doing his Sky Sport's line-up pose. When the hotel worker ran to help Ander and remove the tape from his mouth, he screamed at her "What the fúck are you doing!? This was my idea. Now I have to start again!"

Ander has since been seen walking around the streets of Deansgate with a 1,000 yard stare in his eyes. Rambling something about "I do not tackle and disrupt opposition play with my foot, he who tackles and disrupts opposition play with his foot has forgotten the face of his father, I tackle and disrupt opposition play with my mind".

It's a bold strategy Jayop, let's see if it pays off for them.

I hope they paid for a treble room because Hazard is still in his pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Liam O wrote: »
    Jose really doesn't get the credit he deserves. LVG was there and nobody said anything bad about him but players seem
    to really love playing for Jose even though his tactics are supposedly negative. Even Ronaldo who apparently didn't like Jose before the Real job didn't say anything bad about him.

He's a winner and he gets the best from most players during the 3/4 years he remains at a club.

But when I think of Jose I remember him poking his finger in the eye of Tito Vilanova. Think that says a lot about him as a person.

As for his treatment of Eva Carneiro...

He's a winner and he gets the best from most players during the 3/4 years he remains at a club.

But when I think of Jose I remember him poking his finger in the eye of Tito Vilanova. Think that says a lot about him as a person.

As for his treatment of Eva Carneiro...

Agreed.

Nobody can argue with Mourinhios football achievements.

If he doesn't get the credit he deserves its down to him. Nobody forced him to act like he has over the years. That's just the way he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

No, it was about the merits of their chances in *today's game*. My follow up post where I gave reasons literally had Liverpool's home advantage as the first reason why I think they'll win today so perhaps a bit of reading comprehension would be advised.
    But I also said it's not the factor it once was and you've put too much weight on it in your pricing. This season there's only been 41% home wins and 32% away. It's a trend that's been happening for some time now and home advantage doesn't have as significant an influence on pricing as it once had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I know you support Klopp & Liverpool but 19 or so other teams in the league don't see defence as a bad thing. Thats just you guys tbh.

Jose is a bad bad man, he hates kittens and Christmas too

My head my head. I hate this ****ing game. Why do I let myself get so upset over it. It makes no sense.

https://twitter.com/AdamJosephSport/status/918814972188045312

Just a stat here, as opposed to the narritve

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AdamJosephSport/status/918814972188045312

Just a stat here, as opposed to the narritve

Don't think anyone is suggesting United are a long ball team but Jose did use long balls last year at Anfield to bypass Liverpool's press.

Don't have any issue with that myself, it worked up to a point. I expect them to do the same again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Don't think anyone is suggesting United are a long ball team but Jose did use long balls last year at Anfield to bypass Liverpool's press.

Don't have any issue with that myself, it worked up to a point. I expect them to do the same again today.

It would almost be negligent to play any other way against this Liverpool team. Keep it compact and get the ball up the field as quick as possible has been the template for effective teams against Liverpool this season.

duffman13 wrote: »
    It would almost be negligent to play any other way against this Liverpool team. Keep it compact and get the ball up the field as quick as possible has been the template for effective teams against Liverpool this season.

The fact Liverpool are so predictable from a tactical sense it's not that hard for general teams to expose those weaknesses.

Another stat. Liverpool haven't beaten Utd in the league since 2014.

duffman13 wrote: »

Best case scenario for Liverpool is United have plenty of possession but I don't think Mourinho will allow that.

That's the thing I like most about Mourinho, he's a pragmatist. I'd rather win or draw ugly matches than lose entertaining ones.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The fact Liverpool are so predictable from a tactical sense it's not that hard for general teams to expose those weaknesses.

Another stat. Liverpool haven't beaten Utd in the league since 2014.

Klopp has a great record against Mourinho. Only lost once on 7 meetings, winning three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not looking forward to this one. Expecting 3-0 United.

Tables have turned since last year where I was expecting Liverpool to batter them and Mourinho played it safe.

Now I'm hoping Liverpool play it safe. Not sure Klopp has that in his armoury though.

United have progressed massively since then. Liverpool have declined. Midfield is far more of a worry than CB for me. Henderson just isn't a competent DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I’m convinced it’s going to be 3-1 today.

Just not sure for who.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As expected really.
    Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Salah, Coutinho, Firmino. (twitter.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Young, Darmian and Valencia starting. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Bailly injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

As expected really.

Any news of the bench Harry? Probably the usual ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

That's the thing I like most about Mourinho, he's a pragmatist. I'd rather win or draw ugly matches than lose entertaining ones.

Given the choice anyone would prefer an ugly win to an entertaining loss, however it's not one or the other when you've a squad and funds like United do, there are alternative paths to success beyond the ugly win

• Advertisement

Any news of the bench Harry? Probably the usual ones.

No shocks there either Karius, TAA, Klavan, Milner, Ox-Cham, Solanke, Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd have to give the edge to Liverpool. Klopps record against the big sides easily the more impressive of the two managers since their respective arrivals.

LOL

Scrap the cap!

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Given the choice anyone would prefer an ugly win to an entertaining loss, however it's not one or the other when you've a squad and funds like United do, there are alternative paths to success beyond the ugly win
    A ugly win is as good as a pretty win. This isnt rugby. No bonus pts for X amount of goals.

LiamoSail wrote: »

I think Mourinho's sides do play good football on the whole. His pragmatism in the bigger games has probably worked for him overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

pjohnson wrote: »
    A ugly win is as good as a pretty win. This isnt rugby. No bonus pts for X amount of goals.

Give it time! I wouldn't be surprised to see this in the next 10 years or so. Younger generation wants goals, goals, goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Bore draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Can't see Liverpool troubling United at all today.

0-2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Bailly injured.

Massive loss

LOL

That is a fact you know, it could well be an utter irrelevance but it is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Shaky at the back, not enough bite in the middle and lack of creativity and ideas up front.

Think Liverpool will win today, maybe only by 1 though. I don't get people who see United as favorites. This is Liverpool at Anfield...they're always favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I hope it lives up to the OTT hype Sky are giving it. Remember "Red Monday" last season? A truly, truly awful game. If today does live up to the hype, however, we're in for a cracker.

Right, pub time...come on Utd!!

Bailly injured.

Gutted...

Smalling and Jones CB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Good luck to all the neutrals.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Good luck to all the neutrals.

I think you might be the only one here :)

If you are gunna be travelling/not at a screen you can hear it on the todayfm website!

Looking forward to this, head says 1-1, heart says 27-0 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Never confident playing at Anfield. Even during our dominant years I was never confident going there. However, this game has added spice because if Utd win, Niallo has 100% committed, no takesie backsie, to wearing a United jersey for a full day at work. Hope we win with ano Ashley Young dive in the last minute of 7 minutes of injury time after Liverpool have dominated for the entire game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Never confident playing at Anfield. Even during our dominant years I was never confident going there. However, this game has added spice because if Utd win, Niallo has 100% committed, no takesie backsie, to wearing a United jersey for a full day at work. Hope we win with ano Ashley Young dive in the last minute of 7 minutes of injury time after Liverpool have dominated for the entire game.
    Hope there’s plenty of pictures takin and shared here

• Advertisement

Typical Jose to throw a few curve balls in for the line up. He's had a lot of t of time to plan for this game and it looks like he has a plan made. Now it's up to the lads to execute that. I'm bricking it here now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement