Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will any heads roll over the tracker mortgage scandal?

• 13-10-2017 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I have a tracker mortgage and it has been a life saver over the past few difficult years. It makes me so angry when I hear stories of people who lost their homes or had to make serious sacrifices because greedy banks cheated them out of their trackers.

I wonder will any of the corrupt bankers who oversaw this and allowed it to happen and repossessed homes and sent threatening letters to the clients they were cheating out of money pay a price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If nothing happened the guys who defrauded the state out of €27billion, then nope, no heads will roll.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were given bonuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

We need finance people led out in handcuffs and locked up awaiting trial.
    The ancient Greeks had a good policy, ostracisation, "to banish from his or her native country; expatriate".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The sociopaths who work for these institutions who oversaw the thefts and bullying ruining peoples lives should have their names published so they can be avoided in the community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I wonder will any of the corrupt bankers who oversaw this and allowed it to happen and repossessed homes and sent threatening letters to the clients they were cheating out of money pay a price?

Short answer? No. This is Ireland. Where the Minister for Justice openly brags about how few criminals go to prison.

We don't punish anti-social crime.
    We don't punish serious crime.
    We dont' punish organised crime.
    We don't punish "white-collar" crime.

We do, however, punish people for minor infractions like speeding or not paying their tv licence etc. But, even then, only those who are good citizens need be punished.
    If nothing happened the guys who defrauded the state out of €27billion, then nope, no heads will roll.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were given bonuses.
    What are you on about - a €27 billion fraud??? Who, what, where,when???

And no, there were no bonuses. The tracker mortgage scandal happened over the last few years. During that time, there has been no performance related pay. (Why that is consider a good thing is beyond me)
    The sociopaths who work for these institutions who oversaw the thefts and bullying ruining peoples lives should have their names published so they can be avoided in the community

You want to publish a list of tens of thousands (possibly over a hundred thousand, depending on your definition) of people and have them declared sociopaths? Exactly what clinical criteria will you have used to make this determination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I have a tracker mortgage and it has been a life saver over the past few difficult years. It makes me so angry when I hear stories of people who lost their homes or had to make serious sacrifices because greedy banks cheated them out of their trackers.

This is Ireland.

We don't hold "respectable people" to account.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    Short answer? No. This is Ireland. Where the Minister for Justice openly brags about how few criminals go to prison.

We don't punish anti-social crime.
    We don't punish serious crime.
    We dont' punish organised crime.
    We don't punish "white-collar" crime.

We do, however, punish people for minor infractions like speeding or not paying their tv licence etc. But, even then, only those who are good citizens need be punished.

What are you on about - a €27 billion fraud??? Who, what, where,when???

And no, there were no bonuses. The tracker mortgage scandal happened over the last few years. During that time, there has been no performance related pay. (Why that is consider a good thing is beyond me)

You want to publish a list of tens of thousands (possibly over a hundred thousand, depending on your definition) of people and have them declared sociopaths? Exactly what clinical criteria will you have used to make this determination?

sorry, you must have out of the country for a while?... and my mistake by the way, it was €29billion.

Go to Google and type in 'Anglo tapes' and listen to the first one. That will give you an idea.

*Im not going to post any of them here because I will be the one who will end up in prison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't even know what a tracker mortgage is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

sorry, you must have out of the country for a while?... and my mistake by the way, it was €29billion.

Go to Google and type in 'Anglo tapes' and listen to the first one. That will give you an idea.

*Im not going to post any of them here because I will be the one who will end up in prison!
    I'd love to know where you are getting the €29 billion from.

The state, central bank and financial regulator were all responsible for knowing the value of Anglo, not just on the night of the guarantee, but in the years leading up to it.

Don't get me wrong, certain people in Anglo should have received lengthy prison sentences for their role in a number of dodgy practices. But trying to simplify events as a "€27 billion or €29 billion fraud" is a major part of what prevents the prosecution of white collar crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It's perfectly simple - the Building Society give you the capital sum to purchase a tracksuit. You can start wearing the tracksuit immediately but you don't own it until you've made the final repayment on the loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Something that currently saves about 5 to 6 thousand per year in comparison to variable rates.

We had one of those contacts with PTSB and they did move us to tracker in 2009. We had staged draw downs and dealing with them became noticeably more frustrating towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

We're not ISIS/Saudi Arabia etc there will not be any heads rolling

dotsman wrote: »
    I'd love to know where you are getting the €29 billion from.

The state, central bank and financial regulator were all responsible for knowing the value of Anglo, not just on the night of the guarantee, but in the years leading up to it.

Don't get me wrong, certain people in Anglo should have received lengthy prison sentences for their role in a number of dodgy practices. But trying to simplify events as a "€27 billion or €29 billion fraud" is a major part of what prevents the prosecution of white collar crime.

Ok, it was a sweeping statement and not accurate.

Advertisement