If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbar question

Options
  • 13-10-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hi there, 

How would you compare the :
    HEOS (479£); and
    Q acoustics m4 (295£)?

Thanks! 

I have some Samsung soundbar which I picked up for around 100 euro a few years ago (with sub). It's better than the TV sound but I notice that while it's OK with loud noise, it's not great on voices and clarity. Have fiddled around with the limited settings but time to replace it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Or if you would recommend an alternative, I'm really looking for clarity of sound, particularly voice in movies. Not overly concerned with bass. Have to turn current system up so loud to clearly hear voices that when something loud happens it would really disturb neighbours (even with sub turned. 

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi there, 

How would you compare the :
    HEOS (479£); and
    Q acoustics m4 (295£)?

Thanks! 

I have some Samsung soundbar which I picked up for around 100 euro a few years ago (with sub). It's better than the TV sound but I notice that while it's OK with loud noise, it's not great on voices and clarity. Have fiddled around with the limited settings but time to replace it.
    Hi Wersal Gummage.

Unfortunately you can not compare the two products as they do very very different things.

The Heos is by far the superior product. Heos allows intergration with other Heos products to form a multi room system, it runs from an app on your phone or table for a better all round operation and setup features.
    It also sound the part too.

The M4 is much more simpler but still sound very good.

The Heos come with a subwoofer included the M4 does not.

The Heos would be the one to go for :)

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks a lot for that.

I know they are in 2 different price categories but keep seeing great reviews everywhere about the Q but pretty mediocre /mixed ones about the HEOS...

The Sonos gets great reviews but I suspect that some people have just bought into the brand. Is the Sonos that good and worth the extra? Again, main interest is really clear speech /voices in movies without having to to put volume so loud. The Sonos seems to have a few features in that direction. Also with Sonos I can't wall mount (which I think is necessary for bar) and don't think I can place TV on top (which seems necessary for the base). Basically I have one of the Samsung TVs with that kind of X stand.

Thanks a lot for that.

I know they are in 2 different price categories but keep seeing great reviews everywhere about the Q but pretty mediocre /mixed ones about the HEOS...

The Sonos gets great reviews but I suspect that some people have just bought into the brand. Is the Sonos that good and worth the extra?  Again, main interest is really clear speech /voices in movies without having to to put volume so loud. The Sonos seems to have a few features in that direction. Also with Sonos I can't wall mount (which I think is necessary for bar) and don't think I can place TV on top (which seems necessary for the base). Basically I have one of the Samsung TVs with that kind of X stand.
    Hi Wersal Gummage.

The Sonos is very close to the Heos in sound quality except the Heso comes with a sub where as the Sonos is extra.
    Again the Sonos is a fantastic product with pretty much the same feature as the Heos.

The Sonos can be wall mounted and a bracket is available by Sonos priced at £49.95.
    You could not set your TV on top of any of the soundbar.

Perhaps the Sonos Playbase might be of interest.
    Priced at £649.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202553-black-318792.aspx

...  don't think I can place TV on top (which seems necessary for the base). Basically I have one of the Samsung TVs with that kind of X stand.

Perhaps the Sonos Playbase might be of interest.
    Priced at £649.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202553-black-318792.aspx
    Hi, thanks yet again. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was referring to the play base you mention. I understand that I can't put my TV on top of a soundbar (although fair play to you for explaining that one so casually, I would be laughing at the thoughts of someone asking that!).  If I go Sonos,  wall mounting is not an option as I'm in rented accommodation at the moment. So the only option would be the play base it seems (I was wondering if I could NOT wall mount the play bar). Can I sit the Samsung TV on top of the play base ?

So you would go for the HEOS over the Sonos? Given the price difference. I'll do a bit of reading up again on both. Is the HEOS a recent model, a lot of the reviews I'm reading refer to 2015 so maybe I'm reading about an older version.

Thanks again, appreciate it. 

• Advertisement

The TV I have has a stand something like this one. It's a fairly basic Samsung smart TV, 46". Probably a 2014 or 2015 model (not the model as per attachment title).

Edit : I guess it's a fairly simple process for me just to measure the TV stand dimensions and compare to the play base thing

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I'd generally agree with Kenny that The HEOS is the way to go - BUT I'd also say that I do think that the M4 sounds better than the HEOS - it's just that the HEOS does Sooooo much more than the M4.

If Audio Quality is the primary driver then I'd go for the M4

If you wanted a good sounding Soundbar with Multi room capability then I'd go for the HEOS HC every day of the week ( and I's also go for the HEOS HC over the Sonos as it sounds better AND offers way more features! ( and it's less expensive!))

If it's the Playbase or generally a Soundbase you are looking for rather than a conventional soundbar you also now have the option of the Q Acoustics M2 which sounds Fantastic:

https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/m2/review

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202920-q-acoustics-qaco-m2-blk.aspx

Thanks again and do keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks again. Will think about it a bit and give you a shout when decided. I'm also now looking at the higher end Denon sound bar... Hard to stay within a sensible budget.

Thanks again. Will think about it a bit and give you a shout when decided. I'm also now looking at the higher end Denon sound bar... Hard to stay within a sensible budget.
    Hi Wersal Gummage.

Which of the higher spec'd soundbars are you interested in?

Is it the NEW Heos Bar:
    https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/heos/heos-bar

It currently retails for £699.00 but we could go to £650 on one of these.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.