Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Elmo wrote: »
    So I am worried about this "officially" applied to the minister. I have been informed by RTÉ that they are "currently" applying, that is 2 months ago at this point. I wonder if they actually have. I think they'll just close and the Minister and BAI will ignore what needs to be done under the act.

Write to info@rte.ie and ask has RTÉ applied to the Minister for Media to close the RTÉ Digital Radio stations (RTÉ 1 EXTRA, RTÉ GOLD, RTÉ 2XM etc) and if so when was the application made.

I have done and will post the response but I believe that they had RTE Gold scheduled to close at a specific date in April of this year (I think it was Easter Monday). So it looks like they may have had the green light to do so by Richard Bruton but then the lockdown took hold and all of RTE's streaming services saw a significant increase in listenership figures.

It would not have been a good move to close them at that time. However, I would have thought that the deal had already been done with the minister's department.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

alzer100 wrote: »
    I have done and will post the response but I believe that they had RTE Gold scheduled to close at a specific date in April of this year (I think it was Easter Monday). So it looks like they may have had the green light to do so by Richard Bruton but then the lockdown took hold and all of RTE's streaming services saw a significant increase in listenership figures.

Minster can't just do that, they must ask the BAI to carry out an Strategic Impact assessment , the department must get input from relevant stakeholders and the minister may ask the public. Once the decision is made it is published by the Department. It's not an easy yes or no answer.

The minister could turn around and say, having looked at the submission from RTÉ I have decided that they may close RTÉ GOLD, 2XM and PULSE but they may not close RTÉ Radio 1 Extra or RTÉ Radio JR

SENT TO info@rte.ie

To Whom It Concerns,

Has RTE made an official application to cease broadcasting of it's digital services - RTE Gold, RTE Pulse, RTE News extra etc. and when was the application submitted?
    When does RTE expect to close those servicees?

Kind Regards

RESPONSE:

Thank you for contacting RTÉ Information.

Due to the large volume of mail received by RTÉ’s Information Office we are unable to respond to all correspondence received. If your comment is intended for one of our live programmes, please contact the programme directly using the contact details supplied on their webpage or on air.

We have included below some responses to common queries. All other queries and requests will be responded to as soon as possible.

IN OTHER WORDS, THEY ARE NOT RESPONDING TO THIS PARTICULAR QUESTION FOR NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

My response

Thank you for contacting RTÉ Information.

Due to the large volume of mail received by RTÉ’s Information Office we are unable to respond to all correspondence received. If your comment is intended for one of our live programmes, please contact the programme directly using the contact details supplied on their webpage or on air.

We have included below some responses to common queries. All other queries and requests will be responded to as soon as possible.

If you wish to make a formal complaint, please see details regarding RTÉ’s Complaints process here<https://about.rte.ie/contact/complaints/>.

Please note that all negative comments which are not classified as formal complaints are treated as feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They are just generic responses which they've had in place for years. Wait a few days to see if you get a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

SENT TO info@rte.ie

To Whom It Concerns,

IN OTHER WORDS, THEY ARE NOT RESPONDING TO THIS PARTICULAR QUESTION FOR NOW.

You sent it to "info@" - ah come on, every crackpot that wants to complain about anything from a tampax advert to someone kissing on Eastenders sends an email to this email address.

I'm in a relatively small company and the amount of sh1te that comes into the info@ email address is unbelievable. Most of it is ignored and much of it is spam. So you can imagine the generic RTE email address

Press office might be better Linda.pototzki@rte.ie

silver2020 wrote: »
    You sent it to "info@" - ah come on, every crackpot that wants to complain about anything from a tampax advert to someone kissing on Eastenders sends an email to this email address.

I'm in a relatively small company and the amount of sh1te that comes into the info@ email address is unbelievable. Most of it is ignored and much of it is spam. So you can imagine the generic RTE email address

I am interested in see how info actually respond. Trust me I have gone above Linda, my info isn't from info.

silver2020 wrote: »

info@rte.ie was suggested to me by a registered user of Boards.ie just this morning.

If you feel confident that the contact person you have highlighted is probably a better option - great.

I could also contact the director general directly as I have done before, but it's quite unlikely that I will get a response.

I don't think individuals within RTE are going to share this information (and that's assuming they know), I think if it is communicated, it's going to be through the media TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Unless you want RTE Gold and the other Digital stations to close, why would you write to RTE asking them???

Best to write and ask them NOT to close Gold and the other the stations!!

Unless you want RTE Gold and the other Digital stations to close, why would you write to RTE asking them???

There's a sense that RTÉ have the power just to close stations as they please. It's important to get RTÉ to make a proposal to the Minister, so that she can: -

1. Get a SIA made by the BAI
    2. Get her department to get input from relevant Stakeholders
    3. If she wants to ask the public for their thoughts on the closures of these services.

I would write to the minister asking for number 3.

But we need to know if RTÉ have put their proposal in.

• Advertisement

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-06-23/639/?highlight%5B0%5D=rt%C3%83%C2%89

Deputy Duncan Smith asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if he has received communication from the Director General of RTÉ regarding the future of its digital radio stations; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12093/20]

Section 103 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 requires that Ministerial consent shall be sought if RTÉ wishes to vary the number of television or sound broadcasting channels it operates. It also requires that the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland be consulted as to the sectoral impact of such changes.

I have not, to date, received a proposal from RTÉ regarding the closure of digital stations.

Minister Richard Burton on 23rd of June 2020

Unfortunately, this is what they are in the process of doing, whether anyone likes it or not.

With weekday live presenters being phased out and no real re-introduction of weekend programming, the station is effectively being wound down again.

Believe me, RTE's Director General has been made very aware of the unpopularity of her decision.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-06-23/639/?highlight%5B0%5D=rt%C3%83%C2%89

Deputy Duncan Smith asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if he has received communication from the Director General of RTÉ regarding the future of its digital radio stations; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12093/20]

Section 103 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 requires that Ministerial consent shall be sought if RTÉ wishes to vary the number of television or sound broadcasting channels it operates. It also requires that the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland be consulted as to the sectoral impact of such changes.

I have not, to date, received a proposal from RTÉ regarding the closure of digital stations.

Minister Richard Burton on 23rd of June 2020

I don't understand why they were intent on an April 2020 closure when according to the response received they had not gotten the green light from the minister up to that point.

Unless as you have pointed out yourself, they have plans to just do it.

OR they are toying with the ideaa of possibly keeping some or all of the channels online.

The digital network as in the DAB transmitters are probably the most expensive cost (if any) of that operation. I understand that they can probably pull the plug on that at their discretion.

It's really hard to make out how they are going about all of this officially.

I don't understand why they were intent on an April 2020 closure when according to the response received they had not gotten the green light from the minister up to that point.

Unless as you have pointed out yourself, they have plans to just do it.

OR they are toying with the ideaa of possibly keeping some or all of the channels online.

The digital network as in the DAB transmitters are probably the most expensive cost (if any) of that operation. I understand that they can probably pull the plug on that at their discretion.

It's really hard to make out how they are going about all of this officially.

TBH I don't think they knew that they had to do this. I don't think RTÉ actually know what they are doing.

I mean a decision like this from an Irish Government can take up to a year and a half and even then you might not get a decision.

OTV on Saorview took 6 months
    Eamon Ryan was sitting on RTÉ ONE +1 and new digital services when he left office in 2011, decision made very quickly by Carey.
    while Pat Rabbitte refused to make a decision on RTÉjr on RTÉ2 in the end it remains on RTÉ2
    Not sure how RTÉ2+1 went, think that was a bit quicker.

I really have no confidence in Dee Forbes. She really can't see the woods for the trees. Seriously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Have been tuning into Gold over the past few months while working from home. No ads, no waffling nonsense and best of all no headwrecking phone ins. Just music. Some repetition but always a couple of gems thrown in that I haven't heard in a long time.

Would be disappointing to see it go and seeing as everyone involved seem to be permanent RTE staff it's odd, what the heck are they going to be doing otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

"Until it sleeps" yesterday..in the middle of the day :eek:......class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

crushproof wrote: »
    Have been tuning into Gold over the past few months while working from home. No ads, no waffling nonsense and best of all no headwrecking phone ins. Just music. Some repetition but always a couple of gems thrown in that I haven't heard in a long time.

Would be disappointing to see it go and seeing as everyone involved seem to be permanent RTE staff it's odd, what the heck are they going to be doing otherwise?

in contrast to the awful noise they call music on 2fm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

in contrast to the awful noise they call music on 2fm....

The music can be good the odd time I used change over. I got clobbered with a female DJ one morning giving out about Justin Trudeau having gone blackfaced a while before and managed to shoehorn male patriarchy into it as well.

I'd get over poor music, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

It's a sign that you're too old for 2FM when you think most of the music is awful noise. The problem is, there is nowhere in the RTE canon for people too old for 2FM to go for their music during the daytime (evening time is different). Radio 1 and Lyric FM are no substitutes for that. When you look across the water at the BBC, it's so different for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Tork wrote: »
    It's a sign that you're too old for 2FM when you think most of the music is awful noise. The problem is, there is nowhere in the RTE canon for people too old for 2FM to go for their music during the daytime (evening time is different). Radio 1 and Lyric FM are no substitutes for that. When you look across the water at the BBC, it's so different for them.

Nothing to do with age. I'm 25 and feel like I don't understand this modern mumble ****e they play on the radio.

Best music show is definitely Ed's songs of Praise on Today FM actually. Proper tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

The irony is that I actually currently live in the UK and would be closer to 25 than 45 yet I still find RTE Gold to be the best background noise while working in the morning. I tune into a number of BBC shows at other times but WFH I just want some good simple music in the background and Gold meets that requirement. And it's a slice of home which helps. There are thousands of online stations to choose from whcih could offer the same but at the moment RTE Gold is a recognisable and reliable choice.

"Until it sleeps" yesterday..in the middle of the day :eek:......class

Following on from this..was working from home today so have Planet Rock on....mid morning Wyatt plays the above track, cant remember hearing that song played before....just before i came into the house for lunch Wyatt played The Cars.....not a band they play a lot of....on entering the house (RTE Gold on the kitchen TV)....whats playing....yes, no not Yes...but the Cars....coincidence....:confused:

Anyway...RTE Gold....rocks...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I'm going to put a little sense on the whole topic, now read carefully:
    The trouble is RTE cannot afford to run all these services and platforms. They need to save €60,000000 over the next 3 years (a hell of a lot of money) and cutbacks is the way forward, but what do they need to cut? certainly not digital radio or anything digital especially if they are moving into the so-called digital age.
    RTE must shut down this trashy LW 252, who could possibly listen to this rubbish, and yes give a time frame to shut down the FM platform as I'm sure its costing a fortune.
    Roll out a DAB+ network so that channels are on a single frequency. This will go a long way in solving part of the problem, and with digital radio all ages will be catered for. Surely it will secure RTE Gold, let us get used to digital radio and embrace it.

A bit desparate no? Paul Hardcastle's Vietnam Dirge, "19" playing now on the RTE 1 wavelenght FM? At 6.25pm

Who does that resonate with these days? What listeners have watched Platoon / War Story /

A dwindling bunch like myself!

I for one would love to hear Gold on fm....You might think the music is shyte sometimes but Nova have been getting away with it for years, AND their jox are the most annoying on the radio...IMO...;)

PS...they could have played "NNNNNineteen not out.".........:D

I'm going to put a little sense on the whole topic, now read carefully:
    The trouble is RTE cannot afford to run all these services and platforms. They need to save €60,000000 over the next 3 years (a hell of a lot of money) and cutbacks is the way forward, but what do they need to cut? certainly not digital radio or anything digital especially if they are moving into the so-called digital age.
    RTE must shut down this trashy LW 252, who could possibly listen to this rubbish, and yes give a time frame to shut down the FM platform as I'm sure its costing a fortune.
    Roll out a DAB+ network so that channels are on a single frequency. This will go a long way in solving part of the problem, and with digital radio all ages will be catered for. Surely it will secure RTE Gold, let us get used to digital radio and embrace it.

Poor poor RTÉ, Let's continue to fund imported programming to the tune of €25m and I suppose we will continue to fund 2fm to the tune of €12m. That's what over 3 years just €111m, sure we could possible cut funding to those, even by 5m year each would only save €30m.

I doubt dropping RTÉ Digital radio or DAB is going to result in saving anywhere near €30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

only getting around to replying to this now. I mostly listen to Iradio and Rte Gold when I can get avail of it on digital... no noise there so am I too old for Iradio.. probably..but I enjoy it and its not awful noise. maybe just my taste in music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Poor poor RTÉ, Let's continue to fund imported programming to the tune of €25m and I suppose we will continue to fund 2fm to the tune of €12m. That's what over 3 years just €111m, sure we could possible cut funding to those, even by 5m year each would only save €30m.

I doubt dropping RTÉ Digital radio or DAB is going to result in saving anywhere near €30m

It's not supposed to.

It was part of a wider cost-cutting package including salary cuts to on-air presenters, job losses, shutting the Limerick studio and something to do with the orchestra that I can't remember now.

People are upset at possibly losing RTE Gold, fair enough, I love it myself. However, there's also RTE Pulse, RTE Junior, 2XM and Radio 1 Extra which no-one gives a shyte about, they could disappear overnight and no-one would care. You can't maintain a transmission network for the sake of one station.

Best hope is that RTE Gold stays online with a reduced cost model (i.e. fewer presenters, more playlisting, more simulcasts with R1?) but ditching DAB completely and the other online stations is a no-brainer.

• Advertisement

It's not supposed to.

It was part of a wider cost-cutting package including salary cuts to on-air presenters, job losses, shutting the Limerick studio and something to do with the orchestra that I can't remember now.

People are upset at possibly losing RTE Gold, fair enough, I love it myself. However, there's also RTE Pulse, RTE Junior, 2XM and Radio 1 Extra which no-one gives a shyte about, they could disappear overnight and no-one would care. You can't maintain a transmission network for the sake of one station.

Best hope is that RTE Gold stays online with a reduced cost model (i.e. fewer presenters, more playlisting, more simulcasts with R1?) but ditching DAB completely and the other online stations is a no-brainer.

I really hope that they explore the possibility of keeping RTE Gold as an on-line streaming service.

Advertisement