Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Just to correct my previous comment. It looks like simulcasts with RTE Radio 1 are continuing for now Saturday 5-7 pm and not 5-6:30pm.

Conflicting schedule listing between RTE Gold and RTE Radio 1 for Sunday. RTE Gold schedule showing simulcast with RTE Radio 1 this Sunday 4-6pm while RTE Radio 1 schedule showing Sunday Sport from 2-6pm.

Although RTE Gold's schedule is usually accurate, I would take it that RTE Radio 1's schedule is correct.

alzer100 wrote: »
    Just to correct my previous comment. It looks like simulcasts with RTE Radio 1 are continuing for now Saturday 5-7 pm and not 5-6:30pm.

Conflicting schedule listing between RTE Gold and RTE Radio 1 for Sunday. RTE Gold schedule showing simulcast with RTE Radio 1 this Sunday 4-6pm while RTE Radio 1 schedule showing Sunday Sport from 2-6pm.

Although RTE Gold's schedule is usually accurate, I would take it that RTE Radio 1's schedule is correct.

BTW Rick O'Shea tweeted today:

@rickoshea
    A heads up that, as so much sport is returning to the air, the @RTEGold simulcast show I do on @RTERadio1
    at 5pm on a Saturday may not be around for much longer!

We have one for you tomorrow at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Despite RTE’s best efforts they still can’t rid of “Rick”!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Despite RTE’s best efforts they still can’t rid of “Rick”!

He sounded good on FM on saturday evening !

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

A lot of Jitter on the playback this morning - not sure if this is in the playout system or in the encoding to DAB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

What we really want to know is what is the future of RTE Gold, the year is slipping away and no solid concrete proposal on its future.

kazoo106 wrote: »
    A lot of Jitter on the playback this morning - not sure if this is in the playout system or in the encoding to DAB

Agreed. Seem to get phases of this jitter appearing. It can get quite irritating sometimes.

It's been going on and of intermittently for many months now, hasn't been really addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

enjoying rick o shea this morning. dont often get to hear rte gold at this time of the day.

enjoying rick o shea this morning. dont often get to hear rte gold at this time of the day.

Probably one the best midmorning music shows on Irish radio IMO. Very relaxed, no news and no commercials.

If you can Bluetooth your phone to your car's music system, you will find it a really good music show when driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

What we really want to know is what is the future of RTE Gold, the year is slipping away and no solid concrete proposal on its future.

RTE are making fools out of the public by announcing "major cutbacks" and then not implementing a single one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE are making fools out of the public by announcing "major cutbacks" and then not implementing a single one of them.

TBH it was a ploy from RTÉ

Step 1: Get Prime Time to report on a proposed axing of Lyric FM
    Step 2: Cause outrage
    Step 3: Deny that those plans are a foot, but the studio's in Limerick are in the firing line
    Step 4: Cause more outrage
    Step 5: Announce a 2020 - 2024 strategy with few details
    Step 6: Provide no info the the Oireachtas
    Step 7: Cause a debate
    Step 8: Get 10 million and say your reviewing the plan
    Step 9: See what happens
    Step 10: Do not progress plans and hope for the best.

Have they even given a date for the closure of DAB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Who cares??
    As long as RTE Gold (and some other RTE digital stations) remain on air for us to enjoy and get something back for us that pay our TV licence!!

As far as I am aware RTE's position on RTE Gold is that the station is still in wind down mode. RTE Radio 1 simulcasts will end in about 2 weeks time (reintroduction of sports)

I don't trust any minister to support RTE Gold as it does not generate any revenue as a service. I am still very skeptical leaning towards pessimistic about RTE Gold's future.

It could be just a long drawn out stay of execution IMHO

alzer100 wrote: »
    I don't trust any minister to support RTE Gold as it does not generate any revenue as a service. I am still very skeptical leaning towards pessimistic about RTE Gold's future.

It would be great if The Minister had an opportunity to have an opinion and to research that opinion as set out in the broadcasting act. RTÉ AFAIK have not yet provided a proposal to the Minister for decision.

It doesn't take a lot to write to the minister and officially say.

Under section 103 of the broadcasting act RTÉ proposes the following
    RTÉ proposes to closes it digital set of radio stations (RTÉ Gold, RTÉ Pulse, RTÉjr/Chill and RTÉ 2XM).

RTÉ Gold provides a golden oldies service, RTÉ Pulse is a dance music station, RTÉjr provides programming for children, with RTÉ chill providing light music at night, and RTÉ 2XM alternative music.

These services are part of the Digital TV packages on Saorview and Virgin Media Cable TV and we propose to removed from these broadcasting services.

The stations will also be removed from our online services.

DAB will be closed on AN ACTUAL DATE HERE. This is a trial service that RTÉ has decided to drop, the digital set of channels will no long be available via DAB as it closes from AN ACTUAL DATE HERE.

RTÉ will retain RTÉ Radio 1 Extra, as it provides an alternative schedule to RTÉ Radio 1 and we plan to aim toward the Irish Diaspora.

None of these channel are returning any revenue and we will continue to provide similar services across our podcasting platforms. We are committed to providing Young People's, Documentary, drama, alternative music reviews and live music podcasting. We will retain classic hits, alternative music, live music, dance music, children's content on our other FM services.

We believe the audience is well serviced by this proposal, as we moved toward an online first proposition.

Though RTÉ will probably provide a 30 page outlay of the proposal and need contractors to make it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

And why are they not allowed to carry adverts? Is this not part of the problem?

I don't think DAB/online streaming of RTE Gold produces the audience figures to justify itself to the advertiser. It's probably nowhere near FM at present

I think the agreement for no ads was when the stations began as part of the trail DAB service, there was a fear that RTÉ would gain more ad revenue on DAB, so they are not covered by the JNLR listernship stats for this reason.

But nothing stopping the radio stations online being sponsored only on Broadcasting services.

The minister could make alternative decision on the proposal.

For example should could say if you close all of the above you must close extra also. Or should could say keep RTÉjr, or she could say keep RTÉ Gold but advertising will be allowed. But she must be given the ability to make a decision first.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they aren't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

they aren't.

How are they not? RTÉ raison d'etre is to suggest cuts and cause a lot of talk only for them not to carry through on any plans.

In 2013 they suggest cut their spend on imports by 10%, never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Elmo wrote: »
    How are they not? RTÉ raison d'etre is to suggest cuts and cause a lot of talk only for them not to carry through on any plans.

In 2013 they suggest cut their spend on imports by 10%, never happened.

who cares.
    if the services end up staying then that is a win.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

who cares.
    if the services end up staying then that is a win.

Triple Facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Apologies if mentioned earlier, but am I the only one who preferred a bit of music and the odd shoutout on air on a weekend afternoon during the lockdown, as opposed to a relentless deluge of sports which could be readily found elsewhere?

I have a house full of radios. I restore them, and they generally don't receive FM. They never got so much use as they did while we sat down for the Sunday dinner for the last six months.

Apologies if mentioned earlier, but am I the only one who preferred a bit of music and the odd shoutout on air on a weekend afternoon during the lockdown, as opposed to a relentless deluge of sports which could be readily found elsewhere?

I have a house full of radios. I restore them, and they generally don't receive FM. They never got so much use as they did while we sat down for the Sunday dinner for the last six months.

me too. the best part of rte one on a sunday was the rte gold but now sport is back it will be a distant memory soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I used have RTÉ Gold on all day while working from home / living at work. When they cut back the schedule to only have live presenters until 1pm I've found I just work in silence for the afternoon. Afternoon RTÉ Gold just feels like I have an Ipod on random when there is no presenter, even down to the gaps between songs. FM radio sounds dystopian, with every ad break talking about COVID in a monotone voice, or trying to sell me a car.

I'd pay double the current license fee if we could get more Irish content on tv and radio while getting rid of ads. RTÉ Gold is one of the few things made by RTÉ I really enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Final shared broadcast with RTE1 is Will Leavy this evening, likely to be extra sport with the start of the GAA championships

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Final shared broadcast with RTE1 is Will Leahy’s this evening. Presumably extra sports coverage when the GAA championships start

amlinopta wrote: »
    Final shared broadcast with RTE1 is Will Leavy this evening, likely to be extra sport with the start of the GAA championships

Is there a need to axe GOLD from 5pm to 7pm on Saturday and 6pm to 8pm on Sunday?
    Does sport usually go on after 5 and 6pm anyway?

I normally during the Winter (pre Covid) hear stuff like Documentaries, Saturday Sounds with Neil "Mamma Mia" Doherty, or Mooney goes Wild???

Apparently it's being replaced with an Irish language show on rte1

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That'll pull in the punters :confused::confused::confused:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

There already is an Irish show Beo ar Éigean on Saturdays

Advertisement