Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Source of 5.1 movies for home cinema.

• 13-10-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am wondering where people who enjoy watching films in surround sound are getting their movies from.

I used to have a couple hundred DVDs but got rid of them and I have no interest in Blu Ray or any physical media really.

I find the surround sound quality of Netflix to be really mediocre, its like its in 5.1 but the mix has been changed and the quality of the effects etc is not the same as dvd even.

In terms of downloading which may be a no go to talk about on here? MOD COMMENT: You're right, it's a no-go topic.

I think kodi MOD COMMENT: You're right, it's a no-go topic.

So am i missing something? What i would like is something like Netflix with better audio.. I am really just wondering what other people are doing.

Mod Comment:

See Mod Warning in Post Three.

Ritz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

If you really care about the quality of your image and sound, fixed media like Blu-Ray and UHD Blu-Ray are still really your best bet.

By it's nature, online distributors (legal and, to a greater extent, illegal), care a lot about filesize for streaming and distribution so compromises are inevitable. The really chunky multi-channel sound tracks are a prime target and are often re-compressed or removed entirely.

It can also be argued that you're missing out as technology moves on. We're well beyond 5.1 these days with the introduction of height channels for formats such as atmos, Auro etc. Again, your optical disc is your best bet here.

I don't use netflix on my surround system so can't comment on the efficacy of the surround mix. If this is your primary viewing platform, it may be worth manually tweaking your receiver settings (boost surrorund channel levels to taste).

Maybe others will row in with suggestions but I'm something of a fidelity snob and really don't like my media going through rounds of compression.

Having said that, I'm happy enough to watch streaming content on my stereo TV setup and which does a good enough job and reserve the surrournd system for 'event' viewing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Warning

rowanh,

There's a notice at the top of all of the Home Entertainment forums which forbids discussion of downloading movies without paying for them, your post suggests that you're aware it's a no-go topic, a repeat will earn a ban.

The question is interesting as long as it stays in the bounds of whatrs acceptable here, so you've escaped an infraction, I'm letting the thread stand.

ALL,

Please read the notice at the top of all of the Home Entertainment forums, discussion of how to obtain tv/media without paying the rights holder ifs off-limits. Do not answer this thread with suggestions for downloading such material, a lengthy ban will follow.

Ritz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'm with meep on this, happy to use Netflix or Amazon for occasional casual TV stuff, but not for home cinema (dedicated room) use.

I have about 1800 movies on a home cinema server, (Minix Z83, Windows 10, Kodi as media library) with movies ripped to HD, original media (dvd and bluray) in storage. Some dvds in my collection have never been remastered for bluray, with some others (movies from 30s - 70s) there would be little point for me as part of the charm is in seeing them in near enough their original contemporary appearance in a cinema at the time they were released. I continue to add to the collection, often getting out-of-print movies in buys/trades with others etc. and adding other movies in bluray, with some newer movies kept in disc for a while at least.

Ritz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Given netflix supports full bandwith surround and 4K video it seems strange to be ruling it out for dedicated room use. some of it is excellent quality

the other option for the OP is the new Apple TV, 4k, with movies available in 4k and HD audio. loads of arguments on the web about it's support for atmos or not, that aside, as much as i dislike the apple ecosystem, it's a relatively easy way for the OP to get very high quality audio and video, even through renting without the need to purchase

they were doing a deal where they gave you the 4k version of any movie you owned already for free so people were stocking up on cheap versions before it's release, i think that may be over now.

Advertisement