Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Yi dashcam - €44 to your door

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

On offer again today at Amazon. £28.39 on the deal of the day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_U.jVAbD9SZ47N

Many thanks. Have one myself so just ordered one for the sister.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Any recommended suction cups, just so I can combine in on the order?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Suction-Mount-DrivePro-Recorders/dp/B00JY6W8YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522313949&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+suction+mount

I bought the above as I couldn't get what came in the box to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Any recommended suction cups, just so I can combine in on the order?

Amazon suggest this one, so presumably it will be fine for the cam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyArmor-Recorder-Windshield-DashBoard-Camcorder/dp/B06XQFP2RH/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YX9M16EC1XAQJRKE2MYQ

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

On offer again today at Amazon. £28.39 on the deal of the day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_U.jVAbD9SZ47N

Tempeted to replace my rear facing G1W just for the wifi function on it.

But unless you get close the YI will not see number plates. The G1w sees them much better.

I wonder if Xiaomi are bringing out a better version and are trying to sell of the old ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Also, is there a hardwire kit for this?

446875.JPG

Here's the cig adapter following dremel intervention (60secs). Casing then snaps open with a little pliers persuasion.

446876.JPG

And just do the following:

De-solder spring at point 1 and solder in a wire for + 12V fused connection
    Bend back & forth tabs at 2 & 3 and they will snap off cleanly at the USB port
    Solder in a wire for -12V connection to either point 4 or 5
    Wrap with insulating tape and bury in the fuse panel.

There is your free hard-wire kit. I'd be far happier with this that with some of the cheapo HW kits out there. At least you know that it's reliable Xiaomi stuff you are hacking, not cheapo thrash circuitry that could potentially overheat/pack up in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

After a bit o' homework, this is the card to go for it seems - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V5Q1K3O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

As you'll see from previous posts in this thread, San disk cards don't work very well in dashcams.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

But unless you get close the YI will not see number plates. The G1w sees them much better.

If someone hits you, they'll be close enough.

BTW, I posted about the SanDisk Extreme failing and the recommendation to use the high endurance version. I expected the Extreme to work and didn't give it a second thought. I was curious one day to see the footage and realised it had stopped recording footage a month prior. Thankfully I wasn't in the situation where I needed it to prove anything.

How often do any of you check your dash cam footage or just assume it's fine? It could save you thousands, possibly tens of thousands if you have an expensive car and are wrongly found guilty of causing an accident.

Get a card designed for constant rewrites.

Kamili wrote: »
    As you'll see from previous posts in this thread, San disk cards don't work very well in dashcams.

The High Endurance versions are designed for dash cams though, no?

• Advertisement

From reading online, some of these have also caused issues, but I've had no experience of this myself as I avoided them and used kingston, or samsung cards.

Kamili wrote: »
    From reading online, some of these have also caused issues, but I've had no experience of this myself as I avoided them and used kingston, or samsung cards.

I read they were a recommended card for dashcams, and are actually warrantied by Sandisc for dashcam use....unlike all their other ranges. Worst case is Amazon will take it back and I’ll go Kingston, but hopefully it works as intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Paper not refusing ink is the only difference with them I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Kuva wrote: »
    Paper not refusing ink is the only difference with them I'd say.
    Price is another difference. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Did anyone else notice the secret minion weapon in this cam. Look at the name of the second last element in this pic
    41R-eehIqML._SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Has anyone left this permanently on with the screen off and did it run down the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

brightkane wrote: »
    Has anyone left this permanently on with the screen off and did it run down the battery?

Yeah, accidentally for about 9 hours (twice). Not a problem at all - it really doesn't draw enough power (well under 2 amps I reckon) to have any real effect on a car battery.

Yeah, accidentally for about 9 hours (twice). Not a problem at all - it really doesn't draw enough power (well under 2 amps I reckon) to have any real effect on a car battery.

Cheers Kenny. Was screen off on it?

Cheers Kenny. Was screen off on it?

Yeah, that knocks off after 1 minute or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone know where I could get a slightly longer power lead for this. The supplied one is about 10 cm too short for me to have the cable hidden and attached to the USB slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Anyone know where I could get a slightly longer power lead for this. The supplied one is about 10 cm too short for me to have the cable hidden and attached to the USB slot.

You could use a USB extension....

Or you could reposition the camera...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

How long you need?
    Something like this?
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232497776192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Beinning to regret buying this, I can't get an sd card to work in it. I've tried 32gb Transcend, Sandisk and Kingston plus an 8b Kingston and get the same message "Sd card must be formatted before use in yi dashcam"
    I've formatted to Fat 32, ex Fat 32 and NTFS, full format each time, and by the time I'm finished I'll have spent twice as much on cards as I did on the dashcam.

Format in the camera?

• Advertisement

...it's in the app under settings IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Beinning to regret buying this, I can't get an sd card to work in it. I've tried 32gb Transcend, Sandisk and Kingston plus an 8b Kingston and get the same message "Sd card must be formatted before use in yi dashcam"
    I've formatted to Fat 32, ex Fat 32 and NTFS, full format each time, and by the time I'm finished I'll have spent twice as much on cards as I did on the dashcam.

The card should be formatted using the following config:
    It should be in FAT32, and the Allocation Unit Size is 64KB.

But best to let the camera format the card.

It sounds like a cam fault. I popped in a new 32 sandisk ultra and it worked without any formatting.

Are you using the original cigarette lighter socket that came with the camera?
    I got that issue when I used a cheapo pound shop cigarette lighter power source, switched it out and the SD card format warning went away.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Only getting home now and a bit shattered, I'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Format in the camera?

Do this. Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭projektzwoo

Once you put in the card and it says card need to be formatted, press the first button on the right. I have Sandisk Ultra 32gb and Kingston 16gb both working without any problem. The only issue I had was the charger which wasn't long enough to fit properly in the socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Got one of these during the week. Great bit of kit for the price. App is good too

Once you put in the card and it says card need to be formatted, press the first button on the right. I have Sandisk Ultra 32gb and Kingston 16gb both working without any problem. The only issue I had was the charger which wasn't long enough to fit properly in the socket.
    That did the trick, thanks. I feel a right gobs*it's now, it was so simple 🀡

Charger for mine seems to be dead out of the box, it won't light up or charge the Dashcam. I've tried another usb car charger with it & the Dashcam sprang to life. Don't want to return the whole lot just for this, so have got onto them through Amazon to see what they can do.

Charger for mine seems to be dead out of the box, it won't light up or charge the Dashcam. I've tried another usb car charger with it & the Dashcam sprang to life. Don't want to return the whole lot just for this, so have got onto them through Amazon to see what they can do.

You can have mine if u want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

I've also been having issues getting an sd card to work in this. I have purchased class 10 sd cards which are actually class 1 on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I had that too, but had a handier right angled cigarette socket charger (plugs in at side rather than top) so less strain on the cable the way I routed it.
    Didn't bother complaining to Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

rgodard80a wrote: »

I had that too, but had a handier right angled cigarette socket charger (plugs in at side rather than top) so less strain on the cable the way I routed it.
    Didn't bother complaining to Amazon.
    The supplied USB charger is too short for some cigarette sockets it's not hitting the contacts properly

The supplied USB charger is too short for some cigarette sockets it's not hitting the contacts properly

I suspect it's this. Xi have asked me to try another cable, so I'll try that today & get back to them and see what they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Not sure what the differences are in all the different models, but this one is back on promotion of £9 off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076M3RPHS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LDXR48R7LTSM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just ordered two and two Samsung 64gb cards.
    What hardwire kits, for people that are using them, did ye order?
    Want the piggy-back fuse type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

I hardwired to my car using the following bits purchased from Amazon: Here it's installed in the passenger footwell, where the fusebox is (not so!) conveniently located:
    Fuse_tap_USB_power.jpg

Used multimeter to locate a fuse which is switched by the ignition - the fuses have little metal contacts at the back, so don't need to even unplug them to test.

Used the second USB to power a phone cradle with induction charging. All working well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Zilog wrote: »
    I hardwired to my car ...
    Here it's installed in the passenger footwell, where the fusebox is (not so!) conveniently located

Could I ask what car you have it installed in?

I have a Ford Smax that I want to hardwire it in and have been looking for hardwire kits.
    What you've linked above looks ideal.

No multimeter to hand so if its the same car could you tell me the fuse u used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

theShire wrote: »
    No prob. it's a 2015 Ford Focus.
    Installed on fuse F86, which in my manual is listed as "Restraints control module, Occupant classification system".
    The fuse tap has place for two fuses, one for existing circuit and one for new circuit. Came with additional 10A blade fuses.

I have a Ford Smax that I want to hardwire it in and have been looking for hardwire kits.
    What you've linked above looks ideal.

No multimeter to hand so if its the same car could you tell me the fuse u used?

I dont understand why you think its ideal?

I hardwire kit that goes straight to the fuse board is the best way. Just find a live that switches on and off with the ignition.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Direct-Hardwire-Charger-Dashboard-Right-Angle-Micro-Fuse/dp/B0756T9DQ5/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523789458&sr=1-4&keywords=micro+usb+dash+cam+hardwire+kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I dont understand why you think its ideal?

I like the idea of using the second USB port for a wireless charger - sounds like a nice approach and could have it all reasonably well hidden.

I like the idea of using the second USB port for a wireless charger - sounds like a nice approach and could have it all reasonably well hidden.

The little rectangle power pack on the hard wire kits appeal to me more TBH.
    Tidy and Protects against battery dying.
    I guess it worked perfect in my car. Maybe as already said. It just dont suit every model.

• Advertisement

The little rectangle power pack on the hard wire kits appeal to me more TBH.
    Tidy and Protects against battery dying.
    I guess it worked perfect in my car. Maybe as already said. It just dont suit every model.
    Fair enough - do you have it hardwired to a permanent feed?
    Does it mean that the camera is still recording while parked?

I've checked d cigarette lighter on the Smax and it seems to stay live even after the key is removed and the alarm is armed.
    So I was hoping to use the fuse tap with an ignition-on feed from the fusebox.

Obviously if your suggestion has a low voltage cutoff then its less of a worry

Advertisement