Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Yi dashcam - €44 to your door

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Patww79 wrote: »
    Showing £26.99 for me on lightning deal.

Check the colours. The black one is £23.99, silver is £26.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Be sure of the specs before ordering, the says the black one is 130 fov, whereas the grey one is 165...

I would agree it’s far too conspicuous. What happened your painting effort? Mine seems to be holding the paint perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ok got the YI black version on Amazon with the £8 off. So ended up paying £31 including delivery .... + €3.50 parcel motel as this didn't deli ever to Ireland.

Also I got the Nextbase 312gw for £90 including delivery.

Both had to add sd card so I got Samsung 64gb for €20 each.

Tried out the 2 side by side. Practically no difference. Only difference is the next base has GPS!

The YI has the phone style port for USB which is handy. Instead of hardwiring I'm just going to get one of those small powerbanks from Aldi and stick it on or behind my mirror, would that be ok?

I'll check out the night time quality at a later stage.

So ya , just do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

got one of these last november, still in the box coudnt be arsed fitting it,. classic bargin alert stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

rocksolid wrote: »

Does this have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time?
    Don't fancy having the cable dangling down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You share the footage somewhere?

mathie wrote: »
    Does this have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time?
    Don't fancy having the cable dangling down

Most dashcams have terrible batteries so yes.
    I was thinking you could get one of those 6,ooo ma powerbanks from Aldi (about 6quid) and just hook it on behind your rear view mirror so you wouldn't even see it.
    You can run the wires around the panneling too to hide it.
    If yer feeling finniky you can ply open the panneling a little and tuck it behind... be careful about where your airbag panel is though.
    Or Halfords will wire it into your fuse box for about€40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

There is currently a £12 voucher available for the OPs cam.
    Select it on the site.

• Advertisement

I 'semi hard-wired' mine there lately. Tucked the cable just under the roof cloth, down under the door frame seal, under the footwell cowling, underneath the center console, and into the auxiliary cigarette lighter under the arm rest. Zero cable visible, & I just leave it plugged in now as thankfully that cigarette lighter is powered by stage 2 ignition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Awh ok. Was just curious to see is all :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Are you using two of them?
    If not is the front coverage good enough from the back window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Any benefits to using a custom rom?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Not sure there are any - https://dashcamtalk.com/xiaomi-yi-dash-cam/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Can't see why you would want to.

Start the car.
    Device records.
    I don't ever want to have to look at it*.

*Obviously I tested it, viewed videos (good quality in fairness). Wifi app is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Inviere wrote: »
    I 'semi hard-wired' mine there lately. Tucked the cable just under the roof cloth, down under the door frame seal, under the footwell cowling, underneath the center console, and into the auxiliary cigarette lighter under the arm rest. Zero cable visible, & I just leave it plugged in now as thankfully that cigarette lighter is powered by stage 2 ignition.

Get a fuse tap and use the cigarette lighter fuse. It's simple to use and put in yourself.

http://s.aliexpress.com/E7NBrUZZ
    http://s.aliexpress.com/na6ZZn6V

I've also seen a lot of people mention cheap sd cards on here. They are typically not designed for dashcam use.

I got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CY3QSST/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_s12sBbJ1E2PJ9 which is working well in a Xiaomi 70 mai.

Google mlc vs tlc micro SD to read why.

See attached image for my harwire install. Just run the hardwire kit to your fuse box, which for me is behind the glove box. Red cable at the top is the fuse tap, add a new fuse for your camera and black cable on the right is ground wire. That's all you need to do.

Someone mentioned much earlier in the thread that a custom rom will give you a higher bitrate recording. I find the stock recordings fine so haven't bothered.

Inviere wrote: »
    Someone mentioned much earlier in the thread that a custom rom will give you a higher bitrate recording. I find the stock recordings fine so haven't bothered.

Ah, I thought that was only with the action cams. I think you could even bump the resolution on those.

I got this and have it sitting pointing out the window to test it.
    It seems to keep powering off.
    Does it only work when it senses a lot of change in the image its recording?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thanks

It must be constantly plugged in/powered to run. I presume you're not just running it off the tiny battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

thanks

Do you mean the screen keeps going off? Because it's supposed to, unless you change settings to the keep it always on.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

It must be constantly plugged in/powered to run. I presume you're not just running it off the tiny battery?

Yes plugged in via usb.

Yes plugged in via usb.

Did you select the screesaver option?

Did you select the screesaver option?

Ill give that a go thanks

Are you using the USB power adapter that came with it? Normal (500ma) USB power won't be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mine hasn't been great. Regularly throwing up messages to format the card and the odd card error, which I put down to the cards. Every couple of days when It comes on its lost the memory and it starts up with the screen to enter the time and date. Now 3 times in the last week and a bit its just gone to a cycle if start up then going off and just keeps doing it till I unplug it. The unit seems to be getting hot with the good weather.

Just following this up. Seems I've sorted it. Problem appears to have been a ****ty micro usb cable. I picked up a couple of short ones on eBay because I put a couple of usb sockets up at the top of the windscreen (it's in the van so on the underside of the shelf) to power anything I might need. The short, thin cable I used doesn't seem to have been giving it enough power. Changed it about a week ago for a heavier cable and it seems to be working flawlessly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alwaysb

I took a punt on running the dash cam off this ODB cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J1NB8KW/ - and it's working a treat.

Plugs in to the ODB port under the steering wheel. It has a switch on it so needs to be manually turned on/off, but that's fine. I assume it would drain the battery if left on for a long period without the engine running.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭MB05

Did anyone have any issues with using a Samsung 64gb Evo Plus Class 10 SD Card with this dash cam. I saw it recommended here so I bought it to go with the dashcam as a gift for a friend but he is getting a message saying 'please use the uhs sd card' when he inserts the sd card.

He tried formatting it in the dashcam as others have mentioned here but it just turns the cam off instead of getting into the settings. He tried formatting it on his PC too. It only gave him the options of NTFS or exFAT. He picked exFAT which worked on the PC but the dashcam still doesn't see it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

MB05 wrote: »
    Did anyone have any issues with using a Samsung 64gb Evo Plus Class 10 SD Card with this dash cam. I saw it recommended here so I bought it to go with the dashcam as a gift for a friend but he is getting a message saying 'please use the uhs sd card' when he inserts the sd card.

He tried formatting it in the dashcam as others have mentioned here but it just turns the cam off instead of getting into the settings. He tried formatting it on his PC too. It only gave him the options of NTFS or exFAT. He picked exFAT which worked on the PC but the dashcam still doesn't see it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

That's the card I bought for it and it works fine, no problems with it. I just formatted it when it was in the dashcam

kaji wrote: »
    That's the card I bought for it and it works fine, no problems with it. I just formatted it when it was in the dashcam

It's not seeing the card to allow him to format it. Did it ask you to format it the minute you put it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Did you try using a different cable for it? I think someone mentioned they had similar issues and turned out the power cable was dodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

It's not seeing the card to allow him to format it. Did it ask you to format it the minute you put it in?

Yeah it did. Silly question... but maybe do you think that he could be putting the memory card in upside down?

kaji wrote: »
    Yeah it did. Silly question... but maybe do you think that he could be putting the memory card in upside down?

I've same card, working fine. I Donny thunk it'd allow you to put it in upside down. Maybe ask for refund ASAP, I thunk I read about duddy Samsung cards somewhere, if thou could get a link to where he got it maybe!

Thanks for your replies guys, I have a feeling I bought a fake SD Card. I bought it on ebay from what I thought was a top rated UK seller but there are a small number of negative comments now saying they received a fake card. The edge of the one I bought is black.

Can any of you that bought one that works tell me if the edge of yours is white or black? Apparently it should be white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Jaysus, you don't buy cards on eBay, everyone knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Download a dedicated SD Card formatter from one of the manufacturers and it should tell you the truth about it's size etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies guys, I have a feeling I bought a fake SD Card. I bought it on ebay from what I thought was a top rated UK seller but there are a small number of negative comments now saying they received a fake card. The edge of the one I bought is black.

Can any of you that bought one that works tell me if the edge of yours is white or black? Apparently it should be white.

White.
    I got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XFWPXYD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Kuva wrote: »
    Jaysus, you don't buy cards on eBay, everyone knows that.

Not everyone.

It looked legit at the time. Top rated UK based seller with nearly 99% positive rating and not just from a handful of people. It was only a few pound cheaper than amazon so no major red flags either.

There were a few new negative comments when I went and checked the order yesterday morning complaining the card they received was fake hence me saying it to you guys. I emailed the seller and literally within an hour I had a paypal refund for the full amount, doesn't even want the card back. He claimed it was 'faulty' but as I got my money back without any fight I don't care what he called it!

I will go to amazon or mymemory etc this time. Hopefully it will work straight out of the packet when it arrives. Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Mymemory. Never let me down.

https://www.memoryc.com/ in Celbridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement