Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Yi dashcam - €44 to your door

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Got my hardwire kit posted earlier in the thread and got some mini fuses. Never "tapped" a fuse box before. Can anyone give me some pointers?!

It's a very golf mk6. Since it's a mini tap I can ony tap into the smaller ones. Is that ok? As for numbering I presume that's the amps. If one is 5 can I add another 5 and tap it?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Got my hardwire kit posted earlier in the thread and got some mini fuses. Never "tapped" a fuse box before. Can anyone give me some pointers?!

It's a very golf mk6. Since it's a mini tap I can ony tap into the smaller ones. Is that ok? As for numbering I presume that's the amps. If one is 5 can I add another 5 and tap it?

You need to get the diagram and be aware of which fuse you are tapping.

I tapped my cigarette lighter as it is only powered when the ignition is on.

I'd probably tap something with a 15 amp fuse such as the cigarette lighter as 2 devices on a 5 amp may be near it's max. As far as I know the tap draws current through the original fuse and then the tap fuse so be aware of that.

Edit: looks like your cigarette lighter is 20 amp. It's the left most yellow fuse on the bottom in your picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

If the car is still under warranty make sure you know what you are doing.

bromley52 wrote: »
    If the car is still under warranty make sure you know what you are doing.

It's not. It's 8 years old! I'll see if I can find any diagrams of what is what.

PaulKK wrote: »
    You need to get the diagram and be aware of which fuse you are tapping.

I tapped my cigarette lighter as it is only powered when the ignition is on.

I'd probably tap something with a 15 amp fuse such as the cigarette lighter as 2 devices on a 5 amp may be near it's max. As far as I know the tap draws current through the original fuse and then the tap fuse so be aware of that.

Edit: looks like your cigarette lighter is 20 amp. It's the left most yellow fuse on the bottom in your picture.

I'm a little lost to be honest. For example the yellow mini 20 amp. If this is something I could tap I'd remove it and put it into the adapter along with a 5 amp or would I remove it and put 2 lower 10s into it to make up the 20? Sorry I thought this would be easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Red earth isn't a great start. :pac:

Red earth isn't a great start. :pac:

Is that not the earth? Didnt notice the colour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'm a little lost to be honest. For example the yellow mini 20 amp. If this is something I could tap I'd remove it and put it into the adapter along with a 5 amp or would I remove it and put 2 lower 10s into it to make up the 20? Sorry I thought this would be easier!

Take out the 20. Put it in the lower slot in the tap. Put a 5 amp into the top slot. Put the tap back in to the fuse slot.

It looks like you haven't run your cable yet also? Run the cable first under the headliner and down the door seal so the excess is hidden in the glovebox.

And put the Earth wire onto that bolt instead of the power :)

PaulKK wrote: »
    Take out the 20. Put it in the lower slot in the tap. Put a 5 amp into the top slot. Put the tap back in to the fuse slot.

It looks like you haven't run your cable yet also? Run the cable first under the headliner and down the door seal so the excess is hidden in the glovebox.

And put the Earth wire onto that bolt instead of the power :)

Will have to have a look tomorrow. Thanks

Will have to have a look tomorrow. Thanks

Still no luck. Going to get the car serviced soon. I may wait and ask them to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭OwlEye

My bad, should have realised it's the black instead of the gold version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

OwlEye wrote: »
    My bad, should have realised it's the black instead of the silver version

Fixed that for ya ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Narrow angle one back on lighning deals for £30 the next hour and a half. Tempted to get it for my wifes car very happy with the wide angle version I have. Think I'll hold out for it to be offer again or get a better one for myself though!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Compact-Dashboard-G-sensor-Recording-C1A/dp/B0788H78Q4?ref=pd_h0_learn&smid=A3LDXR48R7LTSM&ref_=pe_3090271_321286311&th=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Get In There

Would have expected this dash cam to be on discount today. It's actually more expensive than it was over a year ago as the discount code no longer works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Would have expected this dash cam to be on discount today. It's actually more expensive than it was over a year ago as the discount code no longer works.

23.99 last couple of days

YI Compact Dash Cam, 1080P Full HD Car Dashboard Camera with 2.7" LCD Screen, 130° WDR Lens, G-Sensor, Night Vision, Loop Recording - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078D6CCDH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-nj-Bb6XH5MBG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

That's a slightly different one, with a 130 deg lens compared to the OG one with 165 deg.

The original Yi 160° is down to an all time low of £24.99 presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Just bought this on amazon. Way too many close calls lately and I want video backup.
    be prepared for my vids of stupidity in the motors Dashcam thread.

Invincible wrote: »
    The original Yi 160° is down to an all time low of £24.99 presently.

Link please? As i've just had a look at amazon and the prices look to be the same as last time I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Link please? As i've just had a look at amazon and the prices look to be the same as last time I checked.

You have to select promotion offer just below the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Dashboard-Recorder-Recording-Detection-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G

Sorry just seen it now under promotion. Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Cheers. Just bought one for my partners car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

So what is needed with this to make it work (if not being hardwired)?....an SD card, a suction cup?

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    So what is needed with this to make it work (if not being hardwired)?....an SD card, a suction cup?

This card is recommended on dashcam forum:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Endurance-MicroSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B07CY3QSST

This is the mount I got, works well, good adhesion. A 3m sticky mount for mounting on rear view mirror was included in box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyArmor-Recorder-Windshield-DashBoard-Camcorder/dp/B06XQFP2RH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Damn Missed that promotion, would have been a good starter camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Add it to your amazon wishlist, it regularly drops in price under the lightning deals.

Damn Missed that promotion, would have been a good starter camera.

£28.79
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Dashboard-Recorder-Recording-Detection-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Lads how do u suggest wiring this ? Just got the official one for 24...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

"Add a circuit" thing, widely available online - plug it in to the fusebox, add a cig lighter socket to it (cheap to buy everywhere) and you're sorted. :cool:

Lads how do u suggest wiring this ? Just got the official one for 24...

The cable supplied is long enough to hide between the windscreen and roof, feed it down pillar and under steering wheel to cigarette lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

joujoujou wrote: »
    "Add a circuit" thing, widely available online - plug it in to the fusebox, add a cig lighter socket to it (cheap to buy everywhere) and you're sorted. :cool:

With only the live coming off those "add a circuit" things, do you ground the additional cig lighter socket yourself yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Obvoiously, yes.

Have a look for "add a fuse" on eBay. They uses an existing fuse (you decide which one, cig lighter is good) to create another 12v line with its own fuse added on. From there I soldered the line to the circuit taken out of old USB cig adapter and installed it behind the dash. USB cable from dash cam can be pushed in behind window trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, I got 4 of these on a whim for some vehicles I no longer have, never got around to installing them so selling them now. I've one buyer asking if they will automatically lock the video file during a crash (on impact) so if they have a shock sensor or not for that? Any ideas?

How have people found them in general? I see a few complaints throughout the thread. I got the Samsung PRO Endurance cards too, so hoping there won't be any issues with them for anyone. They are all still sealed so hoping no issues with any of them :)

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks, I got 4 of these on a whim for some vehicles I no longer have, never got around to installing them so selling them now. I've one buyer asking if they will automatically lock the video file during a crash (on impact) so if they have a shock sensor or not for that? Any ideas?

How have people found them in general? I see a few complaints throughout the thread. I got the Samsung PRO Endurance cards too, so hoping there won't be any issues with them for anyone. They are all still sealed so hoping no issues with any of them :)

Yea, there is a sensor with three sensitivity levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have mine about 2 or 3 years and cannot fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Yea, there is a sensor with three sensitivity levels.
    What price

Advertisement