Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20

Options
  • 13-10-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭

The M20 Cork to Limerick motorway had finally been announced by Leo.
    Bout time.

I wonder how long before we see it.
    I'll optimistically say 7 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Bout time.

Its took 10 years to sort Buttevant out, but I love your optimism ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dbu wrote: »
    Its took 10 years to sort Buttevant out, but I love your optimism ;)

How has Buttevant been sorted?

How has Buttevant been sorted?

New main street, footpaths....etc etc???
    Have you ever driven though it in the last decade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Bout time.

7 is very optimistic. By the time planning, compulsory purchase, funding is sorted, we'll be lucky if construction has started in seven years. No reason why they can't do a sod-turning though.

Dbu wrote: »
    New main street, footpaths....etc etc???
    Have you ever driven though it in the last decade?

Yes many times.
    I just don't see how a facelift to a small village and its timescale have anything to do with the planning and building of a motorway..One would be a local county council job, the other on a national scale..
    I didn't expect someone to compare the two, hence my confusion.

• Advertisement

Yes many times.
    I just don't see how a facelift to a small village and its timescale have anything to do with the planning and building of a motorway..One would be a local county council job, the other on a national scale..

Fair enough, apologies for confusing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yes many times.

I imagine they're both NRA/TII projects?

I imagine they're both NRA/TII projects?

I doubt it.

I doubt it.

One of us is wrong so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

7 is very optimistic. By the time planning, compulsory purchase, funding is sorted, we'll be lucky if construction has started in seven years. No reason why they can't do a sod-turning though.

7 is definitely wishful thinking. The road is deadly- i really do pity people that have to use it as a regular commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dw40

Huge positive for the region. I think it may come sooner than expected.

Interesting how Pascal left it out of the budget on Tuesday so that Leo could grab it with both hands and make plenty of spin out of it! The Department of Spin appears to be cranking it up already.

I'd have huge doubts about the project being delivered in any timely fashion if Leo wasn't all over this. He is quoted as saying "It is a project that is essential to our future national development and one that I am personally committed to achieving".

Also the announcement was well orchestrated to coincide with the FF Ard Fheis and thus will be an obvious barometer going forward from his opponents. So either Leo has drawn the sword he (and FG) will fall on over the next number of years in the context of promises to the SW or he is laying early claim to what is one of the biggest national infrastructural projects to be built outside of Dublin. At the moment, I'm hedging on the latter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

dw40 wrote: »
    I'd have huge doubts about the project being delivered in any timely fashion if Leo wasn't all over this.
    Words. Leo is just another politician. Until it’s delivered his words mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dw40

Words. Leo is just another politician. Until it’s delivered his words mean nothing.

I suppose you’re right business should be conducted in silence without a single word uttered!! Just let the bull dozers rock in some morning to the surprise of the land owners :-)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

2027 is realistic providing there’s no further issues.

I can’t see it happening before 2023 even if the rugby World Cup is held here.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Won't be open before 2030 I reckon.

We all know how long it takes for anything to get done in this country.

I often wondered is the M8 route to Limerick any better than the N20?

walsh08 wrote: »
    Won't be open before 2030 I reckon.

We all know how long it takes for anything to get done in this country.

Only cost,nothing more.

Joining the M20 shadowing the N20 to the M40 is the best solution all around.

walsh08 wrote: »

No, no, no, no, no!
    You want all the west coast traffic along with Dublin traffic and east coast traffic going the same way out of Cork?

No, no, no, no, no!
    You want all the west coast traffic along with Dublin traffic and east coast traffic going the same way out of Cork?

Imagine the Dunkettle roundabout :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I suppose you’re right business should be conducted in silence without a single word uttered!!
    Yeah, that’s exactly what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 frantic2000

It's impossible get a decent map of the planned route but do I understand correctly that they want all the traffic coming down the N22, through the tunnel and out that way?

• Advertisement

I suppose you’re right business should be conducted in silence without a single word uttered!! Just let the bull dozers rock in some morning to the surprise of the land owners :-)))

I dont think thats how they build stuff!
    :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

How would a bypass of Charleville affect the town I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

FutureGuy wrote: »

Charleville is already a dump, probably not much

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

FutureGuy wrote:

Trade will be lost typically to petrol stations and diners, but once the bottleneck is gone it should make the town a more attractive option to become a commuter town. When travelling from A to B people tend to try not stop, with or without a bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Cork to Limerick is only about 100 km, and can be done in about 90 minutes when traffic is light. I travel this regularly and rarely need to stop along the way, so can't imagine Charleville will be impacted much by the loss of patronage by intercity traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I remember all the fuss when the byepass was being built around Midleton, "that it would be a ghost town etc" now look at it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The main places that will be affected by the M20 are the stops along the route, Centra in Charleville, Mallow N20 Plaza etc. These two are regularly busy because the N20 is frustrating enough to make people stop and stretch the legs.

These two places in particular will still be busy post M20 as the towns will still have traffic through them and the Mallow one will still be used by N72 traffic, especially if the northern route of the N72 Relief Road is chosen.

The old M20 plan had a motorway service area included at either 3/4km north of Charleville or Rathduff. It remains to be seen if M20 nua will have a motorway service area.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's impossible get a decent map of the planned route but do I understand correctly that they want all the traffic coming down the N22, through the tunnel and out that way?
    The planned route isn't decided yet as the M20 nua scheme hasn't actually reached that stage yet, it's just passed a feasibility study (surprise surprise) and will move onto initial design and route selection when funding of €3-4m is provided.

Regarding the North Ring, the M20 cannot go ahead without some sort of a North Ring. The old M20 plan was to build the NRR East from Glanmire (Killydonoghue) to the M20 near Killeens. A seperate NRR West would go via Blarney and tie in with the Ballincollig bypass at the Poulavone roundabout. The NRR West seems to be in terminal suspension and the NRR East will likely be activated as part of the M20 due to traffic distribution requirements. The NRR East unfortunately requires traffic to be shoved through Dunkettle and the Tunnel. There isn't even a regional route between Blarney and the west of the city at present.

Advertisement