Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Winter Unsalted non-gritted roads

• 13-10-2017 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Greetings. I was considering moving form my present location in westmeath to another; however i noticed the roads in question are not gritted. Obviously this not an issue once i meet the main roads but as we know alot of 'L' or even 'R' roads are not gritted on those bad nights. Anybody any experience of trying to drive on these roads on our glorious frosty mornings. Currently living on the N4;never had an issues thank god.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Used to live at the foot of Dublin mountains, about 2-3 weeks a year I couldn't use the bike, just wasn't possible. I did try once, but I went slippy slidey everywhere, got the bike to the office and just locked it in reception for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Darith wrote: »
    Greetings. I was considering moving form my present location in westmeath to another; however i noticed the roads in question are not gritted. Obviously this not an issue once i meet the main roads but as we know alot of 'L' or even 'R' roads are not gritted on those bad nights. Anybody any experience of trying to drive on these roads on our glorious frosty mornings. Currently living on the N4;never had an issues thank god.

Depends on your level of competence / confidence. It's okay riding on frosty roads but you have to do so super-gingerly and even then, you can get taken out with black ice.

If you haven't got too far to go until you meet gritted roads then doable but I wouldn't be planning on riding miles and miles that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

Not worth the risk Imo. You might get away with it, but some dark night when you're tired or just unlucky you could take a spill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

There's no fun in riding stressed either, not trusting the bike to corner even at low speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not worth the risk, do you have an alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I think this is a perfect reason to go full supermotard!

Foot down, boot grinding everywhere!

You know you want to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I think this is a perfect reason to go full supermotard!

Foot down, boot grinding everywhere!

You know you want to :)

There's an easy trip to hospital, at best, 2 wheels and ice/frost only mix when you can use studs.

Just another issue with frosty or icy roads. Even if you do manage to travel safely on a bike there's a massive increase in the risk of other vehicles crashing and taking you out. Too many motorists, usually in a 4x4, think that their vehicle can go anywhere forgetting that it's the stopping which is more important than the starting and on icy roads studs or chains are what helps stop, not many vehicles here have chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Are studded tyres an option? Are they legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Wouldn't they be a nightmare as soon as you get onto any sort of a hard surface?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you have an alternative mode of transport then use that, its just not worth the risk of injuring yourself or breaking your bike.

Now I've (foolishly) rode through snow and ice for many years, but really its a silly thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Not a chance would I do that. I got stuck in the middle of Germany once on a ZZR1400 in the height of a snow storm. That was fun :pac: !!

I doubt that they would work for frost and they wouldn't be legal once you hit treated roads, even if they were it would be dangerous riding on metal studs due to no grip they would be worse than using full knobblies (sp?) . You can add/remove the studs as you need to but that takes way too long for a commute and our conditions in general.

How about about commuting on gritted r/l roads in the countryside? Just as challenging?

Would another solution be too use a car on the bad roads and pick up the bike left locked overnight in safe place in a nearby town with access to a good road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Would another solution be too use a car on the bad roads and pick up the bike left locked overnight in safe place in a nearby town with access to a good road?

That seems like a lot of hassle and inconvience for what would be most likely 5 days a year.

Advertisement