Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Morzadec wrote: »
    We can overall be happier than Arsenal.

It doesn't take a huge amount to improve us. Our general play is mostly top notch.

We need to be more savvy / cynical as has bern said.

We need some better personnel in the back 5 which should be achievable for 50-75 mil

Our general play is very good, the hard stuff is there, the stuff we need to fix is not rocket science.

Still optimistic about this team but certainly areas to be addresed. Klopp is an awesome manager but needs to be more savvy in his tactics and use his bench earlier. Hopefully he learns this.

I think what we need to fix is relatively easy which is frustrating definitely but also encouraging because we have so much important in place

Tonight is a tough one to take as it's a somewhat similar story in throwing points away from a strong position. But overall, the performance we put in for about 80 mins in total in the Emirates is a clear sign of the progression we have made, and the potential that we have under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The best thing is we are a god dam good team who went to arsenal and battered them. We have passed arsenal out.

After 19 games were a point ahead of them in the league. If we're ahead of them in May after 38 games we will have passed arsenal out IMO.

We battered them tonight but if finished 3 all.... we're threw it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Watch Klavan after his interception and lay off. Does a CB from any other remotely decent side then go and do that?

https://streamable.com/0w83g

Why did he suddenly feel the need to become a left winger? 1-0 up at the Emirates. Mental.

Lucas played at CB when Klavan was available... says it all IMO. He's credible at times but not good enough to be back up CB for us.

To be fair he's played loads of minutes for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Mignolet
    That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Knex. wrote: »
    Watch Klavan after his interception and lay off. Does a CB from any other remotely decent side then go and do that?

Why did he suddenly feel the need to become a left winger? 1-0 up at the Emirates. Mental.
    He looks up and sees little ahead of him. He becomes the 2nd highest player up the pitch, when plenty of cover in behind.
    First time I’ve seen him do that, so far from wreckless. It’s the other clangers he does that I worry about.
    To be fair, he was prob signed as a 4th choice CDF, but has been played more than planned. I don’t blame him that we tried to spend ~£60m on a CDF with no plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Coutinho should have picked him out. It's funny thing to do but there is not danger when you have the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not gonna say anything other than the usual, if we try to accommodate Mignolet, Lovren, and Moreno we're going to give up a massive chance every game. You can accommodate one mistake in waiting but not three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Raging.
    It's easy to say Ox should have started instead of Mane but I love faith in players when it's deserved but Klopp got it wrong. Losing Hendo was big.

Firmino rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Tonight is a tough one to take as it's a somewhat similar story in throwing points away from a strong position. But overall, the performance we put in for about 80 mins in total in the Emirates is a clear sign of the progression we have made, and the potential that we have under Klopp.

We were brilliant in a lot of ways.

The problem with that potential is by the time the goalie and defenders are in place all the brilliant attackers will be playing for new clubs. We'll be saying all we need now is a winger, imagine that the combined Klopp 11 looks like etc. Just look at arsenal.

I heard during the week mignolet is asked to make the second fewest number of saves in the league after Ederson. People keep saying he's a good shot stopper but dodgy. He's actually not a good one off shot stopper at all. The dodgy part is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Raisins wrote: »
    The problem with that potential is by the time the goalie and defenders are in place all the brilliant attackers will be playing for new clubs. 
    Agreed, said that myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mane again went for glory when he could have taken it down and rolled it into the net, he went for the flying kung fu shot though.

kungfu-girl-animated-gif-1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Klopp needs a fcuking if he doesn't get rid of migs in Jan,
    Mane was very poor again tonight,can't remember the last decent game he had tbh

4th prob really is the best we can hope for this year,we must consolidate cl football, I do fear a serious drubbing if we come up against anyone half decent in cl though if we get past Porto,teams know if they can apply 10 -15 mins of pressure against us they can get a hatfull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Could only watch up to 2-0 and had to head off.

Wasn't remotely surprised by the news it finished 3-3. Ha.

Can & coutinho looking likely to leave.
    Milner & lallana aren't getting younger.
    I wonder who else will come in for midfield along with Keita? A surprise Jan signing on the cards maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

shamrock55 wrote: »
    4th prob really is the best we can hope for this year,we must consolidate cl football, I do fear a serious drubbing if we come up against anyone half decent in cl though if we get past Porto,teams know if they can apply 10 -15 mins of pressure against us they can get a hatfull

The Klavan moment is glorious as a snapshot of Klopp football. Who missed the give to him? He would 'av scored! Love watching us.

We're as wasteful as ever but yeah control and Klopp style don't seem to mix. If a few leaders would show up and yank Klavan back and go down injured and take a yellow and turn the game down to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

I’ve never seen a league title at Liverpool in my lifetime. I’m one of the new bread of millennium fans, used to same old stuff and let downs. But tonight, after the umpteenth time a Klopp team has self combusted, I ain’t sad! We are so close to something special at our club. But my goodness, spend on your defence Klopp.

Watched the game with a Chelsea fan tonight. He’s watched his team win a league after a long drought (money obviously involved). But he hit the nail on the head tonight to me, if you can dominate a game a concide 3 numerous times, it’s more than just individual errors at play. It’s the culture of the club

How can Klopp be ruthless in changing his attacking players, giving numerous players the boot. Then spend £17 million on defence which is our biggest problem. Bewildered beyond belief, I’ve never seen this in any football manger! Ireland to the world, what’s going on at Liverpool is insane. I’d love to truely know why...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Augeo wrote: »
    Can & coutinho looking likely to leave.
    Milner & lallana aren't getting younger.
    I wonder who else will come in for midfield along with Keita? A surprise Jan signing on the cards maybe?

I still think we'll go for Lemar or similar if Coutinho leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Its this simple have a keeper at the standard of the rest of our outfield players and we are atleast 8 pts better off. Its criminal that clown is still our goalkeeper. Utd gave up way more chances against arsenal than us and concede 1 goal and that's the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

we're great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stand big, take it in the face, that's what DeGea would have done, not dive out of the way

200.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think Klopp needs to realise they are certain players you just cant make any better than they are no matter how much you coach them. They will always be crap.

He's given far too much rope to ****ehawks like Mignolet, Lovren and Moreno. These imposters will have short spells when they seem decent but a horrendous mistake is never far away with them.

These guys need to be hounded out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd love to know the difference in points earned between Mignolet and De Gea over the course of the season.

Reckon it could easily be between 9 to 12.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Every week they are taking turns to f*ck us.

Moreno.......Lovern.......... Mignolet

Who's go is it next.

And around and around we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I'd love to know the difference in points earned between Mignolet and De Gea over the course of the season.

Will end up only about 20 points off the winners so with a decent keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just read that Sevilla sacked their manager yesterday, the same one who turned around a 3 goal deficit against us after revealing to his team at half time that he had cancer. Three days before Christmas, that’s disgusting no matter how poor their form is. I’ll still be cheering them on in the next round by default though.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just read that Sevilla sacked their manager yesterday, the same one who turned around a 3 goal deficit against us after revealing to his team at half time that he had cancer. Three days before Christmas, that’s disgusting no matter how poor their form is. I’ll still be cheering them on in the next round by default though.

Hes just back from an op,so maybe they decided he needed a little more time to recuperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Not a lot of point in blaming our attackers for that one. Sure we could/should have scored more but 3 should be more than enough.

Three weeks ago Man Utd went to the Emirates, they scored 3 times and walked away with a win, despite getting absolutely battered at times. Last night we scored 3 times and we were the ones doing the battering, but only got a draw.

The difference? De Gea made fourteen saves, Mignolet didn’t make fcuking one!

Buy a decent keeper a Jurgen :(

• Advertisement

I don't understand klopp,he could have one of the best sides in Europe yet point blank refuses to sort out very obvious issues,please please please sort it before our superb forward players are gone,because they ain't gonna stick around looking at this ****e for long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Coutinho's stamina in these games is a bit of a problem.

But it may have been more of a tactical issue I think he was playing more as a second striker than a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Still angry.

There is so much right with this team, and for that reason, you can see Klopp is about to throw a gasket in every post match interview.

Gomez switches off.
    Mig is shít.
    Then Arsenal score a 3rd after midfield is vacated and Ozil tore us open.

Yes, individual errors are killing us.
    Yes, Klopp.has a right to be frustrated that there always seems to be a mistake just around the corner.

But Klopp MUST adapt his principles. This constant helter skelter football puts too much pressure on our backline to be perfect. I'd vouch that of all the teams in the PL, we are one of the teams with the highest amount of attacks on an unprotected back 4. The ball is constantly being overturned in our games. Teams know they always have a chance because we refuse to be 'boring' as Milner put it. We refuse to kill a game through passing the ball in the back or middle 3rd with men behind the ball.

Watch Man City. They'll spend minutes with what looks like meaningless possession, then try to hurt you.

As much as I'd like VVD or someone like that, it won't completely solve the problem. He'll crack too. Eventually the sheer amount of times we allow teams attack our back 4 will cause us problems against half decent teams.

And Keita won't help in having more control either. He's just a better version of Can.

Having said all that, it also doesn't help that we have a keeper who rarely bails us out, and often, like last night, does the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    we're great craic

:D Thanks for that. Made me laugh and forget my hangover for a minute.

Still trying to figure out what the hell we were at during that 5 minutes or whatever it was.
    I know Mignolet was pants but I thought Gomez was awful for one of the goals too. Maybe I'm just being harsh or mistaken but at the time I thought he should have done better.
    It must really piss off Salah and Bobby and Coutinho to play so well and create/score so many goals and still know the bunch of messers at the back will throw it all away on them.

Also Mane is a far better player than what we're seeing lately. Just hasn't been hitting his potential lately for some reason.
    But at least with him you know its a temporary dip.
    With Mignolet the dip came a long long time ago and stayed permanently.
    It's madness that he's still our first choice keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Gomez is only 20. That's the kind of mistake he'll learn from.

News just in: I still want Mig replaced.

Grayditch wrote: »

Yep he's got massive potential, I'm not in the least bit worried about him, merely an observation.

Mignolet on the other hand...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Grayditch wrote: »

Throw karius in, and see if he develops into a good goalie? Mig isn't.

emo72 wrote: »
    Throw karius in, and see if he develops into a good goalie? Mig isn't.

Same here. Pointless to keep persisting with Mignolet at this stage.

I'm not sure about Karius yet but at least he's young and maybe he'll improve.

Either that or sell both and buy a keeper. But it would make more sense to give Karius a good run first and see how he fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

It's fcuking insane that we need to be about 4-0 up for me to be confident we can win a game, we can't manage a game for sh!te. Mignolet had some interview midweek on the club website boasting about how we were defending well lately and then he serves up that mess last night what a disaster him and lovren just cant even keep a persistent average run of form they always have to remind us of their worst sides.
    I'd have taken a draw ore game but being 2 up after 50 odd minutes and drawing ain't a good result I suppose the face we pulled one back is decent. Klopp has us close to being a quality side that can challenge for honours but not some of the players he is showing massive faith in, he needs to swing the axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I don't understand klopp,he could have one of the best sides in Europe yet point blank refuses to sort out very obvious issues,please please please sort it before our superb forward players are gone,because they ain't gonna stick around looking at this ****e for long

I really like klopp and want him to do well but his arrogance when it comes to this teams defence i feel could be his downfall.

He now has two transfer windows to get tough and to sort out our back 4 imo. A goalkeeper and a couple of cbs must be signed. I will lose my **** if at the start of next season i see either of mingolet, moreno or lovren starting in this team.

Look at what pep did this summer. He saw weakness at the back and went out and spent the cash on the defence. I use to think it was admirable that klopp feels he can improve the likes of mingolet, moreno and lovren but now its just criminal. These lads just are not good enough for a club with ambitions to win a league title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Utd have faced 82 shots on target DDG has made 70 saves. Liverpool have faced 53 shots on target our keepers have made 30 saves. DDG is saving 85% of the shots he faces , Mignolet is saving 56%. At this stage of the season we are already at 9-12 points in the difference. There is so much right with the team but goalkeeper is killing us and will continue to until klopp signs a better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Honest question lads and this is coming from someone who likes Klopp:

Will we the Premier League under Klopp?

I hate to say it but I can't see it happening.
    There is something fundamentally wrong with his tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Honest question lads and this is coming from someone who likes Klopp:

Will we the Premier League under Klopp?

Would we win the league under any manager in world football without oil money?

Klopp's stubborness annoys me but he's far better than any other manager we could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

*cough* Leicester *cough*

Utd have faced 82 shots on target DDG has made 70 saves. Liverpool have faced 53 shots on target

United have faced 29 shots more than us? Genuinely surprised by that.

Then again any time I watch them De Gea pulls off a worldly or two so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Keepers like De Gea are rare though so we're comparing Mignolet to arguably the best in the world here.

I'd settle for a 7/10 keeper at this stage.

Just someone who you don't actively EXPECT to do something daft. Same for our CB's and Moreno when hes playing.

Klopp's stubborness annoys me but he's far better than any other manager we could get.

Considering we're a few points ahead of burnley and that we aren't achieving 2ppg after half the season I think there's more in this squad.

We all expect klopp to eek that more out.

This season in the PL and CL we've really not done well against decent ish sides.

3 CL wins.... 2 of them against maribur...... we haven't won half our PL matches. We are so far this season flat track bullies IMO. Against decent opposition we aren't doing the business.

We batter a few + bad teams and we are potential CL winners and should be aiming for 2nd in the PL.... our overall achievement s over half the season don't tally at all with that sentiment.

If salah goes off the boil compared to his form to date and the other forwards don't improve on their form to date to mitigate than you'll imagine we'll struggle in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Would anyone take ozil on a free? He. He Is some player when he wants to be. The wages would insane could be off set by the transfer fee

I know he ha apparently has a **** attitude but i thnik wenger os a big part of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Without question the biggest endemic failing is not a player its the managers failure to inculcate the right mentality for winning more than than is currently the case. Last night James Milner, a pros pro said out loud what Klopp should be making happen on the field - it's good to be boring. Control the tempo, know when to hold.....and when to strike. Last night, as is usually the case, players were too often attempting to find the rapid pass when the likely recipient was in no real position to take advantage and so possession got lost. This side used to be a calamity from a dead ball (winning second ball in the 18 yard box is still an issue) now the primary weakness is the ill considered ball high up the pitch which allows the opposition to counter while everyone bar the CBs are in the 'wrong' half of the pitch.

On players - Mane needs taking out entirely for a while I think. The only other solution I think might work is to play a different formation and try a 4-4-2 diamond with Sadio one of the strikers - this way, if assuming positional discipline is maintained he is likely to have opportunities that are more direct, the fewer touches he has the better right now.

Mig's chocolate hands are stupid, Karius in the CL has largely acquitted himself but I don't see Klopp making a permanent switch in any event.

Can is far too slow for this sort of thing and with Lallana back it might be time to see at something like Milner - Wiji/Coutinho - Lallana in the middle if Hendo is out for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Well Leicester did so off course Liverpool could.
    They managed to get a front three that is amazing and matches any in the league. Its amazing they have struggled at this stage to not improve the defence

• Advertisement

Kloppball seems to control matches by consistent attacking..... it works well most of the time. But most of the time the 4th/5th best team in the league is playing a team that isn't better than them.

And our defense and GKs are arguably not at the level of our attack :)

We don't seem to be able to do anything but attack with the ball. I thought / think the geggen pressing is the greatest load of toss I've ever seen TBH but we don't seem to be mad for that anymore which is no harm IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement