Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Listening to Kevin Kilbane last night he said he had heard that VVD will join us.

If Southampton are going to sell I think we will match any price offered by other teams and it seems Klopp has convincedhim to join us to build a Legacy at a club like Liverpool over other clubs.

I don’t think he is worth the money myself but he is better than anyone we have at the club right now and he looks a leader on the pitch something we are severely lacking.

What does it matter if we match the bid.

Just because we match a bid doesn't mean Southampton will accept or have to accept it.

They will sell to Chelsea or City before us. If VVD turns them down & demands Liverpool then maybe we will have a chance. But I'm not sure he will risk doing that again after the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Listening to Kevin Kilbane last night he said he had heard that VVD will join us.

If Southampton are going to sell I think we will match any price offered by other teams and it seems Klopp has convincedhim to join us to build a Legacy at a club like Liverpool over other clubs.

I don’t think he is worth the money myself but he is better than anyone we have at the club right now and he looks a leader on the pitch something we are severely lacking.

I’m a fan and it isn’t my money so if Klopp wants him and the player wants to come, then the money shouldn’t be an issue. Just a pity he can’t play in goal because that position should be priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’m a fan and it isn’t my money so if Klopp wants him and the player wants to come, then the money shouldn’t be an issue. Just a pity he can’t play in goal because that position should be priority.

Because Klopp wants him is the reason I think FSG will offer the money Southampton want and as Toby said it’s probably a lot higher because of the Celtic cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Link?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-finally-make-a-breakthrough-in-their-pursuit-of-virgil-van-dijk-report-36434315.html

"Kevin Palmer is reporting that a structured deal that is approaching Southampton’s lavish £70m asking price is close to being agreed, with Liverpool finally getting the green light to negotiate a deal for the Dutch defender after their unsolicited approaches for the player last summer forced the Anfield club to issue a public apology in a bid to avoid Football Association sanctions."

Kevin Palmer writes for the Irish Sunday World......how he has this exclusive I dont know but thats where all the noise is coming from.

70M is absolutely crazy all the same, but we do need a quality CB....if we are paying that money Klopp must be convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Goalkeeper is priority for me now,as someone said on here earlier,oblak from athletico would be fantastic,but I'd take Virgil too obviously

• Advertisement

Mmmmmmm Virgil..... I suppose CB signings aren't overly inspiring. I hope he turns out to be a successful signing :)
    Only if he's signing for us of course :pac:

NukaCola wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-finally-make-a-breakthrough-in-their-pursuit-of-virgil-van-dijk-report-36434315.html

...... Liverpool finally getting the green light to negotiate a deal for the Dutch defender after their unsolicited approaches for the player last summer forced the Anfield club to issue a public apology in a bid to avoid Football Association sanctions."

A spoofer.... sure klopp had permission :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Goalkeeper is priority for me now,as someone said on here earlier,oblak from athletico would be fantastic,but I'd take Virgil too obviously

Oblak would cost £70m plus I don’t see us spending that on a keeper.

Would to see it happen but realistically it’ll never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

MD1990 wrote: »
    What does it matter if we match the bid.

Just because we match a bid doesn't mean Southampton will accept or have to accept it.

They will sell to Chelsea or City before us. If VVD turns them down & demands Liverpool then maybe we will have a chance. But I'm not sure he will risk doing that again after the summer.

Agreed. Also, the money on offer from City and Chelski may be too much to turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

NukaCola wrote: »

"Kevin Palmer is reporting that a structured deal that is approaching Southampton’s lavish £70m asking price is close to being agreed, with Liverpool finally getting the green light to negotiate a deal for the Dutch defender after their unsolicited approaches for the player last summer forced the Anfield club to issue a public apology in a bid to avoid Football Association sanctions."

Kevin Palmer writes for the Irish Sunday World......how he has this exclusive I dont know but thats where all the noise is coming from.

70M is absolutely crazy all the same, but we do need a quality CB....if we are paying that money Klopp must be convinced.

VVD may come to us but I wouldn’t be believing anything that fella writes. I’ve called him out a few times with his nonsense but he doesn’t give a bollix. He has Liverpool Twitter foaming at the mouth because he said that. The fact is that only last week he released an exclusive that Liverpool had backed away from VVD because of the pricetag and now because VVD was left out of the team he is covering his tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No uproar over on the Southampton subreddit so I’ll take it with a generous helping of salt for now.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No uproar over on the Southampton subreddit so I’ll take it with a generous helping of salt for now.

Are Southampton going to provide the salt too? Worst loyalty reward ever if so, though we’d be due a Ward Prowse at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

chinese takeaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    chinese takeaway

Serving **** in a tray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

you wot m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So, I know that we have a cracking attacking lineup but, Aguero anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So, I know that we have a cracking attacking lineup but, Aguero anyone?

Definitely.

Cant see how it would ever happen.

Apart from anything else, We'd never pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Definitely.

Cant see how it would ever happen.

Apart from anything else, We'd never pay his wages.

In terms of wages Ings+Sturridge+40k doesn't sound so bad.

No chance we'd get Aguero anyway though.

Apparently disgruntled at City. Would be a fantastic option in that space and still only 29, been around forever so always thought of him as older meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mignolet's career development at Liverpool there.

Messi anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

mosstin wrote: »
    Mignolet's career development at Liverpool there.

The fear in his eyes was very similar to Mignolets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

£70m, bloody hell. Crazy money unless he comes in and is near flawless.
    Wonder if this is money we plan to recoup in the summer (Coutinho)?

I actually think that a keeper is more important; one that actually is mistake free (obviously the odd one will happen) and can pull out a match winning save/performance when required.

At the moment, until he signs, I won’t take it took seriously. Not impressed by his own lack of professionalism either (esp compared to Coutinho).

That point v Arsenal doesn't look too bad when title challengers Utd and Chelsea only drew too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    That point v Arsenal doesn't look too bad when title challengers Utd and Chelsea only drew too..
    Drawing away to Arsenal isn’t a bad result.
    2:0 up, then 3 goals conceded in 5mins (2 of which were totally avoidable) in a game we totally dominated, is not a good result.

Everton, West Brom (played badly but could have won it) and now Arsenal. 3 draws in which we dropped 6pts and could be nicely clear and right behind Utd.

A point looks good when others also drop points and we stay 4th, but might be missed opportunities when we look back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

RoboKlopp wrote:

Conceding 3 goals in 5 minutes immediately after going 2-0 up is bad. I alwsys think it's worse when teams above us drop points & we fail to capitalise on it.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Conceding 3 goals in 5 minutes immediately after going 2-0 up is bad. I alwsys think it's worse when teams above us drop points & we fail to capitalise on it.

Yeah but what actually happened was we dropped points and other clubs failed to pull clear which makes it a bit easier to take.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ why to people always say this,drives me insane,to me it's an opportunity lost,if we keep drawing or losing everytime those above us do the same we will never catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Jesus Christ why to people always say this,drives me insane,to me it's an opportunity lost,if we keep drawing or losing everytime those above us do the same we will never catch them

Because if they both won, that point would look a lot worse, especially given the context of the game.

People forget we were 3-2 down in the game too, at least we steadied the ship and got an equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

There are no title challengers this year now

Because if they both won, that point would look a lot worse, especially given the context of the game.

People forget we were 3-2 down in the game too, at least we steadied the ship and got an equaliser.

I understand what your saying for this game cos I felt like that immediately after the game that a point wasn't too bad cos we were losing at one point,but now I'm thinking hang on we were 2 nil up we can't be doing this crap,so now I'm thinking it's points lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah but what actually happened was we dropped points and other clubs failed to pull clear which makes it a bit easier to take.

Never try to best fan logic! We live for the "only ifs"

I understand what your saying for this game cos I felt like that immediately after the game that a point wasn't too bad cos we were losing at one point,but now I'm thinking hang on we were 2 nil up we can't be doing this crap,so now I'm thinking it's points lost

Oh yeah, we should have been out of sight and if we are ever going to challenge, then we cannot be throwing away 2-0 leads.

Think I'm resigned to these types of results until we have better players in the key defensive positions. Vvd would be a start but goalkeeper, left back and defensive midfield all need improving.

I think we can take the loss of Coutinho if it happens but we cannot persist with Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno/Robertson and Henderson/Can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I couldn't care what he cost and if we have to spend £50m on a goalkeeper to finally sort it so be it. Spend the coutinho money on the defence and goalkeeper then buy a playmaker to replace him. The team can cope without Phil we can't cope with the **** at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rob316 wrote: »
    I couldn't care what he cost and if we have to spend £50m on a goalkeeper to finally sort it so be it. Spend the coutinho money on the defence and goalkeeper then buy a playmaker to replace him. The team can cope without Phil we can't cope with the **** at the back.
    Break the bank and be ruthless to get a top class gk. City did it with bravo who was much like
    Mignolet. The difference in their defence now that they have someone they can trust and will bail them out at times . The stats are there every second shot against us is a goal. I've been banging on about the necessity of getting a goalkeeper first and foremost since the summer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Very happy to hear we have possibly agreed to sign VvD this January. Hopefully the stories are true.

Drop Lovern and play him alongside Matip.
    Should instantly improve us back there.

Eligible to play for us in the Champions League as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Oh yeah, we should have been out of sight and if we are ever going to challenge, then we cannot be throwing away 2-0 leads.

Think I'm resigned to these types of results until we have better players in the key defensive positions. Vvd would be a start but goalkeeper, left back and defensive midfield all need improving.

I think we can take the loss of Coutinho if it happens but we cannot persist with Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno/Robertson and Henderson/Can.

Is it not just a little early to be giving up on Robertson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weird how much of a Debbie Downer there is about a cheap player from a relegated side ;)

It's as if he is damned by association.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Is it not just a little early to be giving up on Robertson?

Perhaps but I think there are much better left backs out there who could improve us.

But I'd be happy if Robertson proved me wrong, seems like a decent guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Perhaps but I think there are much better left backs out there who could improve us.

But I'd be happy if Robertson proved me wrong, seems like a decent guy.

I dunno, I can't think of a position we've struggled more to recruit for in the last 30 years. Early signs with Robertson are reasonably encouraging.

corwill wrote: »
    I dunno, I can't think of a position we've struggled more to recruit for in the last 30 years. Early signs with Robertson are reasonably encouraging.

I agree he has done reasonably well, that said, I'm not sure he keeps his place once Moreno is fit. I'd like to think we could find someone who is much better than both.

Robertson isn’t an issue imo. He appears to be competent and can do the basics, that’s fine for lb. Not everyone needs to be a superstar or World Class (Phil Jones has won the league FFS). Karius to step up or a keeper who doesn’t concede every second shot, One good leader/organiser in the back to partner Matip, and Keita would have things looking a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really hope this van dijk news is true. Not just because i think hes a very good cb and a leader but also it shows FSG and willing to spend the big bucks to get us back to the top.

With coutinho and can looking likely to leave next summer it would be amazing if the club could get deals done for lemar and goretzka to join even in the summertime. Probably asking for too much but it would be fantastic planning if they could get that done and have their replacements lined up with keita for first day of pre season.

Also, it's grand Utd and Chelsea haven't gotten further ahead. But realistically I don't think we'll gain 7 points on Utd .... as bad as they look at times they've a decent points haul after 19 games and I'd expect them to equal that in the second half of the season. They need to fnck up and we need to improve to catch them.

But anyway, spurs gained 2 pts on us.... not good. They're only a point behind us now. So we're no further off 2nd or 3rd but 5th & 6th are a point off us.

Considering we were 2 up and if we bagged the 3 pts we'd be 3 pts ahead of both arsenal and spurs instead of 1.

Probably a miserableist view but heyhum.

Vvd talk is nice,but I'd break all records to buy a top keeper first,can't believe I'm saying that after all the crap I've given our defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jan Oblak should be bought. He's the keeper we need to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jan Oblak should be bought. He's the keeper we need to progress.

Would Atlethico let him leave tho?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Would Atlethico let him leave tho?

They have to if his release clause is met. It’s said to be around €100m, and I can’t say he’s not worth it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement