Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm happy with performance and passion we showed. We are growing, and we were solid.

Exactly my thoughts. The heart and commitment was on show today.

Still feel that along with a new cb another goal scorer would work a treat for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Decent point, deserved more but I was happy with the performance, solid all over.

Gomez best game for us I thought.....no stupid stuff either, just didn't do enough though bar 1 or 2 really good chances and as we already know we aren't that clinical. A bit disappointed but its a decent point.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Disappointed not to win that one, United offered very little and we still couldn't beat them. We lack an out and out striker, someone who can nick a goal when it matters most. Sturridge is well passed his sell by date I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Back to Red Bull in January or next summer and buy Werner that's the kind of CF we could do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Outplayed them. Deserved to win but a draw will have to do. Enjoyed watching us try to win but can you imagine a Utd fan watching that, clinging on for a point for 90mins,.

Thought Coutinho should have had a pen, De gea made a great save, Can had a great chance, Gomez did well, Ox can actually cross a ball and whip in a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gomez was excellent in defence and when he got forward good as well, Ox has some turn of early pace on him the crosses were good as well. Salah will be the death of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ox actually looked pretty great for the few minutes he got, could see him getting a bit more time, maybe a start, against Maribor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Should have won but didn't. Mane would probably have made a difference if there. Salah caused them enough trouble by himself.

We need improving in both penalty areas. A centre-half and a striker.

Matip's english is really good that's the first time I have heard him speak.

Christ, actual celebrations in the match thread after that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No focal point to the attack again. All those crosses sent high into the box with no hope whatsoever of a Liverpool player outjumping the defenders. Liverpool made a big mistake this summer in not going for a targetman.

Off to Wembley next weekend at least we know Spurs will play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We lack a cutting edge that provides that extra spark in attack.

Missed Mane obviously.

Have to say when you see how Utd were set up that we should have won that game.

Would have been an ok result at the start of the season but can't help feel it's dropped points when you see how the game went and how poor Utd were.

Even when we put in a good corner our CBs are pretty dire, always head it miles over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Augeo wrote: »
    You'd have taken that result before the game really.
    Jose played for the draw, little to no intent of going for it..... so Utd got what they came for to an extent.
    Nice to keep a clean sheet at Anfield.
    13 points from 8 not too bad considering we've played Utd, Man City and Arsenal.

Usual speel from Klopp in the post match chat I expect, great performance, created chances bla bla.

It's a bit churlish to criticise him for highlighting the positives but failing to flag negatives that nobody was talking about in the summer.
    Of the two teams, who made more defensive errors today?
    I'd say we made 2 or 3. Utd must've made a dozen or more.

Did the system we play acheive it's goals in terms of control and chance creation? You'd have to say yes.

Who in our side had a bad game? Nobody, really. Can struggled a bit in tight spots but had a few really dangerous runs in broken play, Matip ****ed up for Luakaku's chance by diving in so that's a mark against, Moreno did some mad ****, but mostly we recovered from them.

Mostly they played to the level they can. There's an aggregate lack of quality throughout the front 6 in the final third.

It's not our general play, it's not this bollocks about our midfield or some people's obsession with slagging off Henderson. For making an incremental step in cementing our place in the CL, it isn't even really the defence.
    We are doing more than enough but the lads up front don't have the quality in front of goal and throughout the team, there's a dearth of intelligence in how we fail to seize opportunties that are dropped into our lap.

This string of speculative efforts, nobody looking up to find the players arriving late, is more infuriating than the failures in execution. Proper attacking players don't settle for the sort of ****e that Wijnaldum tried. They're not happy to get a cross in that doesn't beat the first man.

We play a lot of blind % balls in attack but they're not high percentage, like AOC's 2 good low whipped crosses in the first few minutes he was on.

Even with our issues we shouldn't be as bad as we are, as we showed last season, but if you don't have the quality to bail you out then it's easier to get stuck in the sort of low-confidence swamp we seem to be currently inhabiting in the final third.

Double decker

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Double decker

Starbar man myself.

Cadbury-Starbar-Wrapper-Small.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Souness trying not to show his Liverpool bias and going over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Starbar man myself.

Cadbury-Starbar-Wrapper-Small.jpg

That United team has no nuts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sky: Thierry, is the player you manage FOR Belgium a dirty bastard?

Thierry: No, he is not Kent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How much have Utd spent to play like Ireland?
    I'd be disappointed with that display. One of the best sides form wise in the league with a talented squad against a team that is struggling to score and win and they play for a draw.
    I'd rather be a beautiful loser but then I'm a sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Good performance overall I thought, very unlucky not to get the win, I do think it's a bit of a myth that we have the best attack in the league as I hear trotted out though, we lack any real guile apart from Coutinho, all huff and puff and pace but not very clever.

I also thought we should have had a penalty, Utd were absolutely pathetic Mkhi, Lukaku, Martial barely had a kick, not sure how a team with so much talent can play as bad as that, they were made to look like they were a Burnley or something, coming to Anfield and defying the odds and the financial muscle of us to secure a creditable draw.

Gbear wrote: »
    It's a bit churlish to criticise him for highlighting the positives but failing to flag negatives that nobody was talking about in the summer..............

I don't think it is to be honest :)
    It's the same speel from him after most games this season, I don't think it at all mean spirited to point that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

poor mourinho has no players? spent a lot of cash lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    How much have Utd spent to play like Ireland?
    I'd be disappointed with that display. One of the best sides form wise in the league with a talented squad against a team that is struggling to score and win and they play for a draw.
    I'd rather be a beautiful loser but then I'm a sap.

Exactly. A billion dollar team playing with less attacking intent than Burnley.

Premier league would be so much better without Jose.

• Advertisement

Good performance overall I thought, very unlucky not to get the win, I do think it's a bit of a myth that we have the best attack in the league as I hear trotted out though...............

I've never heard anyone credible trot that out tbh.

I don't think it is to be honest :)
    It's the same speel from him after most games this season, I don't think it at all mean spirited to point that out.

But the point is that he's not wrong, for one and that it's not a decision he's making from game to game to get us to miss chances.

He can't make this lot better at football, beyond a certain point.

You can't say he's squeezing every last drop out because we've played better before, but we're doing about 95% of what he wants and what we need.

Yes, one could argue he should've replaced Sturridge with someone who's reliable and some did, but most were happy before the start of last season with our attacking options and it wasn't even an issue the summer just gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd have taken the draw before the game, but seeing as United had that same idea, after 20 mins I wanted us to punish them. Shame we couldn't capitalise on the domination, but at least we've a point out of it.

I've never heard anyone credible trot that out tbh.

Fair point, we might be the best at counter attacking alright, unfortunately in 90% of matches we don't get the chance to use it, we are playing packed defences most weeks and seem clueless how to break them down just like last season.

it's a nice narrative switcheroo that Mourinho and Neville are spewing that Liverpool were not trying to win the game..

can they just not come out and say we played not to lose....simple as that

• Advertisement

You can't say he's squeezing every last drop out because we've played better before, but we're doing about 95% of what he wants and what we need.............

95% of what we need?

We're not doing great in the CL, if we weren't in a p1ss poor group we'd be fncked.

We were knocked out of the league cup in the first round.

We need a significant improvement in what we've seen so far to consolidate our Top4 from last year.
    ..............but most were happy before the start of last season with our attacking options and it wasn't even an issue the summer just gone............

Plenty have mentioned repeatedly that Bobby isn't good enough to be a #9 for Liverpool, the fact he does what Klopp wants as a #9 has most people happy.
    But the point is that he's not wrong, for one and that it's not a decision he's making from game to game to get us to miss chances...............

You can say that about any manager. they don't make decisions that make their team miss chances or concede silly goals, largely speaking. they are still accountable for that happening.

Good performance overall I thought, very unlucky not to get the win, I do think it's a bit of a myth that we have the best attack in the league as I hear trotted out though, we lack any real guile apart from Coutinho, all huff and puff and pace but not very clever.

There's lots of good play outside of him. Mane is the next best after Coutinho but you can't argue Firmino or Salah have a lack of guile.

There's some tremendous movement on display, individual skill beating players all over the pitch.

By any measure, City are better at attack then us, but our attack has many of the attributes required to be one of the best attacking teams in europe.
    What we don't have is the lethal finishing of a Lewandowski, the instincts of a Higuain, the coolness and decisionmaking of a Benzema or the unpredictable brilliance of a Suarez.

There's lots of good play outside of him. Mane is the next best after Coutinho but you can't argue Firmino or Salah have a lack of guile.

There's some tremendous movement on display, individual skill beating players all over the pitch.

By any measure, City are better at attack then us, but our attack has many of the attributes required to be one of the best attacking teams in europe.
    What we don't have is the lethal finishing of a Lewandowski, the instincts of a Higuain, the coolness and decisionmaking of a Benzema or the unpredictable brilliance of a Suarez.

I agree to a certain extent, but I just see us struggle so often against packed defences that it seems we lack the cunning to just pull a move out of our ass and grab a vital goal when we need it, we're nearly men, it's always so nearly good but mainly it just doesn't quite come off.

I agree to a certain extent, but I just see us struggle so often against packed defences that it seems we lack the cunning to just pull a move out of our ass and grab a vital goal when we need it, we're nearly men, it's always so nearly good but mainly it just doesn't quite come off.

Mane will be a HUGE loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

mada999 wrote: »
    it's a nice narrative switcheroo that Mourinho and Neville are spewing that Liverpool were not trying to win the game..

can they just not come out and say we played not to lose....simple as that

Did you miss Carra saying near the same thing during and after the game?

In fairness to Pulis, he at least would have tried to attack a bit more.

the 3 of hendo, can and gini are not creative enough imo... one of them needs to be replaced with a more creative player.

Our counters are usually too slow because one of the above dwells on the ball or plays the ball behind one of our players which just kills our momentum

I get what you mean.

Maybe disicpline or composure is a better word for it though.

We used cunning to get Coutinho, Firmino or Wijnaldum into space against isolated defenders at times but from that point they **** themselves and failed to relax and look at the options they had, instead picking whatever first came to mind, to no effect.

A look at City who just scored there shows what we're missing.
    We get into those positions but City have the calmness to execute and the patience to get their heads up and wait for the right option.

De Bruyne puts the perfect pace on the ball behind the full back, Walker waits and waits, looks at his options and waits for Jesus to make a move, easy tap in.

We easily could've scored a goal like that, and indeed there were a few examples of that sort of play in the game today, but we panic, constantly.

The next one (they're 2-0 up already) was some next level **** with the reverse ball from De Bruyne but we've seen that kind of thing from Mane and Coutinho.
    The difference is we miss from the position that Sane gets the ball from or ones similar to it. We seem to be happy to just get rid of the ****ing thing rather then measure the use of the ball.

I'd like to see a midfield three of......

Can
    Coutinho
    Wijnaldum.

At least there is a creative player there then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lallana coming back in could solve that midfield problem but I still think the biggest issue is in front of goal and hasn't been addressed over two transfer windows - there's no goalscorer. Sturridge is a bust, Solanke is raw and Ings might never break back into the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I honestly won't be rushing to watch any further matches v Mourinho's United. He's actually made the 6-3-1 a regular formation of his in big games. It's more harmful to football than Sepp Blatter was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I was actually quote pleased with the performance today despite not getting a deserved winner.

Thought there was a lot more control to how we played, less reckless than in previous games. Lukaku chance aside we never allowed ourselves to be opened up, unlike the goal we conceded against Newcastle.

I am convinced we are on the right track, the team still needs better players in a couple of key positions. We will win more matches than we lose with this playing philosophy.

You can say that about any manager. they don't make decisions that make their team miss chances or concede silly goals, largely speaking. they are still accountable for that happening.

You're missing the point.

Mourinho's tactics today were low % because he showed no ambition.
    He can't control Lukaku missing a 1v1 but creating one goalscoring opportunity in a game because you've nobody to put a shift in the final third and you show **** all ambition is absolutely on his head.

Klopp on the other hand can look at his tactics and say, we've conceded very few and created plenty, and he can say of his players that they did their jobs and excecuted those tactics correctly.
    I guess he could say we're **** at finishing but I don't see the point.

Incidentally, I didn't watch the post match interview and I don't know what he said, so this argument is beginning to feel silly.

At any rate, Klopp is perfectly entitled to praise what went well.

If you want to talk about results, wait until the fat lady has sung.

I get what you mean.

Maybe disicpline or composure is a better word for it though.

We used cunning to get Coutinho, Firmino or Wijnaldum into space against isolated defenders at times but from that point they **** themselves and failed to relax and look at the options they had, instead picking whatever first came to mind, to no effect.

A look at City who just scored there shows what we're missing.
    We get into those positions but City have the calmness to execute and the patience to get their heads up and wait for the right option.

De Bruyne puts the perfect pace on the ball behind the full back, Walker waits and waits, looks at his options and waits for Jesus to make a move, easy tap in.

We easily could've scored a goal like that, and indeed there were a few examples of that sort of play in the game today, but we panic, constantly.

The next one (they're 2-0 up already) was some next level **** with the reverse ball from De Bruyne but we've seen that kind of thing from Mane and Coutinho.
    The difference is we miss from the position that Sane gets the ball from or ones similar to it. We seem to be happy to just get rid of the ****ing thing rather then measure the use of the ball.

Key words in your post composure and patience, nail on the head from you, that'e exactly what we lack.

the 3 of hendo, can and gini are not creative enough imo... one of them needs to be replaced with a more creative player.

Our counters are usually too slow because one of the above dwells on the ball or plays the ball behind one of our players which just kills our momentum

It seems pretty clear that Klopp recognises this but for one reason or another, he hasn't had the chance to play Lallana or Coutinho in there as often as he liked.

What is promising is that despite that we're not actually failing to make chances.

We'd be plenty creative in midfield if we weren't ****e in the box.
    As it is we need about 40 shots for every goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be fair Coutinho would have been in the midfield three only for Mane's injury. And of course Lallana is not an option at present.

It seems pretty clear that Klopp recognises this but for one reason or another, he hasn't had the chance to play Lallana or Coutinho in there as often as he liked.

What is promising is that despite that we're not actually failing to make chances.

We'd be plenty creative in midfield if we weren't ****e in the box.
    As it is we need about 40 shots for every goal.

need more of the midfield appearing in the box... hardly anyone in the box

To be fair Coutinho would have been in the midfield three only for Mane's injury. And of course Lallana is not an option at present.

If Ox starts and does well against Maribor we might see him on the wing with Coutinho back in the middle vs Spurs.

i wonder how many games we will play with all our midfield players fit.. unfortunately it wont be many :(

• Advertisement

need more of the midfield appearing in the box... hardly anyone in the box

There was at least one chance where Can and Hendo both arrived totally unmarked and Coutinho just ignored them.

You're right, particularly without a CF, but they do it some times and are totally ignored anyway.

Our midfielders are really bad at getting bodies in to take advantage of low crosses from the wing, but equally, our attackers are really **** at picking them out when they get to the dead ball line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement