Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I don't think there's anything to take from today really. We're not gonna come up against a Billion dollar Burnley defensive rearguard.

Next 2 games will be very telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sakho involved in 2nd Palace goal is going to have some posters fuming in here.

I would argue it's their goal of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Gbear wrote: »
    There was at least one chance where Can and Hendo both arrived totally unmarked and Coutinho just ignored them.

You're right, particularly without a CF, but they do it some times and are totally ignored anyway.

Our midfielders are really bad at getting bodies in to take advantage of low crosses from the wing, but equally, our attackers are really **** at picking them out when they get to the dead ball line.

aye it's seems like are decision making is poor a lot of the time... just not clinical enough. its like they just lose concentration or something.

The passing of the ball behind a player on the break is one of my pet hates.. really infuriating....

I don't think there's anything to take from today really. We're not gonna come up against a Billion dollar Burnley defensive rearguard.

Next 2 games will be very telling.

the only positive is that we didnt concede

murpho999 wrote: »

like Lovern and Matip.. he's isnt good enough imo

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    like Lovern and Matip.. he's isnt good enough imo

Agree totally but many here think otherwise.

mada999 wrote: »
    the only positive is that we didnt concede

True but in fairness Burnley and Palace or anyone else tested our defence more than United did today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ryan Kent started for Freiburg today...........away against Munich. He lasted until the 67th minute in a 5-0 thrashing, poor sod :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm one of them - simply because he left the ****ing club, has nothing to do with us anymore yet we have to put up with his name mentioned every time he contributes something to a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A work colleague of mine was at the game but he is supposed to be in hiding. :pac:

Hunter from AoS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Thought the performance of Joe Gomez was a big plus from today. Definitely see him as the best option at right back at the moment. Defensively very strong and played 2 good passes that resulted in chances.

The whole of the defence played well today, hopefully that continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I honestly won't be rushing to watch any further matches v Mourinho's United. He's actually made the 6-3-1 a regular formation of his in big games. It's more harmful to football than Sepp Blatter was.

If only every manager was like Wenger and come to Anfield to play the same attacking setup every week.. thats a nonsense comment in fairness.
    Maureen cuts her cloth to suit the game and venue accordingly, can't blame her for that. I was delighted to see Rashford and Mata not starting, we should have punished her timidity.

garra wrote: »
    If only every manager was like Wenger and come to Anfield to play the same attacking setup every week.. thats a nonsense comment in fairness.
    Maureen cuts her cloth to suit the game and venue accordingly, can't blame her for that. I was delighted to see Rashford and Mata not starting, we should have punished her timidity.

Excuse me? Nonsense comment stating a supposed title contender playing away to a top 4 hopeful, playing 6 at the back, isn't ridiculous and anti football and horrible to watch?

You used Arsenal getting tonked as one example. How about City, Chelsea, Spurs who all come and play. We shouldn't consider United capable of doing the same? Now that's nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Ryan Kent played 66 minutes for Freiburg v Bayern today. Lost 5nil. No idea how he played but good experience to be getting some minutes against a quality team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Excuse me? Nonsense comment stating a supposed title contender playing away to a top 4 hopeful, playing 6 at the back, isn't ridiculous and anti football and horrible to watch?

You used Arsenal getting tonked as one example. How about City, Chelsea, Spurs who all come and play. We shouldn't consider United capable of doing the same? Now that's nonsense!
    In reality it doesn't matter if they play six at the back and get a result. Mourinho's objective was not to lose, so it''s a point gained for his team and another 2 dropped by an opponent. Once again we have failed to break down a team that focused on defence.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Almost all utd fans will say that they have better players, a better team and a better manager. To go away to a team and play with as little ambition is puzzling. Surely Mourinho can come up with another way to win the game than go for a 0-1 smash and grab.

Breaking down Burnley or Southampton is something we should be able to do. Breaking down one of the best defensive managers with one of the world's most expensive team, who parked the bus, is not really something to be critical of or concerned about!

5starpool wrote: »
    Almost all utd fans will say that they have better players, a better team and a better manager. To go away to a team and play with as little ambition is puzzling. Surely Mourinho can come up with another way to win the game than go for a 0-1 smash and grab.

I just don't get how any Utd fan can be happy that for the second season in a row that Utd have come to Anfield and spoiled the game for a draw.

It goes against everything that United stand for in football.

I also don't get how they justify having to do this whilst at the same time writing about how poor Liverpool and 'Flopp', as they hilariously call him, are a poor side and will not win anything.

If they are so good and we're so poor then why aren't they just playing us off the park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Who gives a ****e what United fans say :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I just don't get how any Utd fan can be happy that for the second season in a row that Utd have come to Anfield and spoiled the game for a draw.

I also don't get how they justify having to do this whilst at the same time writing about how poor Liverpool and 'Flopp', as they hilariously call him, are a poor side and will not win anything.

If they are so good and we're so poor then why aren't they just playing us off the park?

Because Moyes and LVG lowered their expectation, anyone who gives them a sniff of top 4 let alone success will not be criticised.

There are some of them that do see it for what it is

But i reckon most of us would be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

5starpool wrote:

I find it baffling given our clean sheet record & our form that they never went for it. Lukaku had less touches than Mignolet late on.
    It wasn't really any display to be proud of by either side as we blew a few good chances which wasn't surprising given our recent form.
    I didn't like seeing Coutinho coming off as when he was on he comfortably the best player on the pitch imo & the only one who could do anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking at results elsewhere, not a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Draw today is looking better with every game gone by, 13 points still tied with Arsenal and Chelsea.

So two things

One Klopp was supposed to be under huge pressure to get a win or questions would start to be asked.

Well we didn't win so are those questions going to be asked?

Two Herrera was supposed to keep Coutinho in his pocket all game I wonder has anyone reminded Coutinho to empty his pockets and to let Herrera go home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Probably because they are currently second while we are seventh?

He did what he felt was best to guarantee some points away at Anfield, there are 14 other teams he can play exciting football against.

It's the right way in my opinion, if you don't drop points against the so called top 6, then consistently beating the lesser teams will have you at or near the top at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So two things

One Klopp was supposed to be under huge pressure to get a win or questions would start to be asked.

Well we didn't win so are those questions going to be asked?

Two Herrera was supposed to keep Coutinho in his pocket all game I wonder has anyone reminded Coutinho to empty his pockets and to let Herrera go home tonight.

I'll take the fact that he didn't kick us off the pitch, get away with it repeatedly and ruin the game like last season and count my blessings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Draw looking a bit better now with both Arsenal and Chelsea having lost. Might be a fight for between those three for 4th.

A Kane injury could change things of course and we'll know more about United once they play a few more good teams.

City look the class of the field though so far.

Oh yeah they absolutely steamroll teams in the league now. Interesting to see how it goes for them vs Napoli midweek.
    If City came to Anfield today they'd have risked conceding but would have went for us & likely come out on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Draw looking a bit better now with both Arsenal and Chelsea having lost. Might be a fight for between those three for 4th.

A Kane injury could change things of course and we'll know more about United once they play a few more good teams.

I know it's early and they had a great start last season and fell away but I think City will win the league with a record number of points and goals scored. They're head and shoulders above everyone else.

• Advertisement

United have an atrocious run of fixtures coming up. Reckon we could be above them by the first half of Dec.

Klopp getting some criticism for sticking with the midfield 3 and not going gung ho. United coulda caught us on the break and 10 points gap would be far worse.

Not a bad result and hopefully our defenders garnered some badly needed confidence. We even survived corners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The classic we witnessed today is the last game to feature on motd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

ERG89 wrote: »
    I find it baffling given our clean sheet record & our form that they never went for it.
    It's how Mourinho always approaches the game at Anfield.
    “It is not the result we wanted but it is a positive result. It is a result that stops a direct opponent getting three points at home, so not a bad result.

“The game was difficult for both teams but for longer periods it was more difficult for them than us. We controlled the game not just tactically but the emotion of the game. That was probably the quietest Anfield I had and I was expecting it to be the other way. It was a positive performance.”

That's what he said last year and it's equally applicable now.

So this stat is going around after the match today and if it's right that doesn't seem like a bad partnership at all to me.

Matip & Lovren as a centre-back pairing in league:- Pld 22 W 12 D 9 L 1 Goals conceded 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So this stat is going around after the match today and if it's right that doesn't seem like a bad partnership at all to me.

How many of those were with Karius and/or Moreno?

How many of those were with Karius and/or Moreno?

The point is when Matip and Lovren play together we are actually quiet good at the back it doesn't seem matter who the fullbacks are.

22 league games as a partnership and we have lost just 1.

• Advertisement

Another stat in 38 home leagues under Klopp as of today Liverpool have failed to score in 4 games.

3 of those games were against utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's going to click and the goals will rain in. keep creating chances

It's all spoof.

Most of them haven't even bothered to leave the country to see them play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not the worst day with Arsenal and Chelsea both losing.

The point is when Matip and Lovren play together we are actually quiet good at the back it doesn't seem matter who the fullbacks are.

22 league games as a partnership and we have lost just 1.

& conceded 18, sh1t enough if the forwards weren't bailing them out.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    & conceded 18, sh1t enough if the forwards weren't bailing them out.

Less than a goal a game is absolutely grand.

40 odd a season is about what we need to expect unless we upgrade all of our back 5.

Even then we're never conceding fewer than 30 playing this way.

Less than a goal a game is absolutely grand.

40 odd a season is about what we need to expect unless we upgrade all of our back 5.

Even then we're never conceding fewer than 30 playing this way.

We do need to upgrade most of our back 5. I thought that was accepted?

That absolutely grand is with our first choice CB pairing... they both miss plenty games & the 3rd choice is Klavan. There's nothing absolutely grand about it IMO

We do need to upgrade most of our back 5. I thought that was accepted?

That absolutely grand is with our first choice CB pairing... they both miss plenty games & the 3rd choice is Klavan. There's nothing absolutely grand about it IMO

You said .8 goals conceded per game was pretty ****.

It isn't. It's grand.

We'd probably be top 4 defences in the league with that.

You said .8 goals conceded per game was pretty ****.

It isn't. It's grand.

We'd probably be top 4 defences in the league with that.

It's over 22 games..... opposition ? How many clean sheets in their? As a stat to claim we have a good CB partnership it's pretty sh1t IMO.
    Probably top 4 defences in the league.... our ambition seems to be plummetting.
    Also.... do we reckon Matip & lovren will maintain this "absolutely grand" stat?

Grand is what everton aspire to & celebrate.

It's over 22 games..... opposition ? How many clean sheets in their? As a stat to claim we have a good CB partnership it's pretty sh1t IMO.
    Probably top 4 defences in the league.... our ambition seems to be plummetting.

We're an attacking team. We will always tend towards conceding more than the likes of Utd or Chelsea who play with two DMs and far less ambition.

Stop being obtuse.

Sometimes I wonder is there screw looses in some of our fan base.

Defense was spot on today. Attack was the issue. Couldn't find that killer finish.

But hey, pretend all is cool and throw on a striker at 80 mins against a team that have little intention of going for the win.

United were gutless today, but Liverpool were bollocks today.

We're an attacking team. We will always tend towards conceding more than the likes of Utd or Chelsea who play with two DMs and far less ambition.

Stop being obtuse.

We are tending towards scoring less than them too ... your calling me obtuse? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

As last season showed - For Top 4 challenge its an acceptable cb pairing.

For the Title - not a chance!

....thankfully we can safely say klopp doesn't think our Cb pairing is absolutely grand, what with the attempts to sign Virgil etc.

Alonso77 wrote:
    For the Title - not a chance!

In my head in thinking we'd need strikeforce options of a peak Owen, Torres & Suarez to subside this defence :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement