Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

ERG89 wrote: »
    In my head in thinking we'd need strikeforce options of a peak Owen, Torres & Suarez to subside this defence :pac:

We don't need a strikers don't you know. We have a squad of number 10s that create loads and finish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

That was almost as bad as last year's game against Utd, though at least we created a lot more chances this time around. I feel sorry for anyone that paid big money for tickets to that, knowing the way Mourinho sets up for matches like these. He was never going to put out a team to attack, the man is pragmatic to the end (even saving that 3rd sub for injury time :rolleyes:)

I'm ok with what I saw from our team, on a different day maybe we get the goal. Things actually turned out well for us elsewhere, so that we're now somehow level with Chelsea and Arsenal on points. I see Utd fans are mostly positive, seeing the result as one of those "end justifies the means" jobs.

They are smashing past teams from the lower half, but so are Man City. The only difference between the two is that Pep is getting the results against Top 6 teams as well. Still early days, but you'd wonder if Mourinho's method might fail him here with City looking so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Umaro wrote: »
    That was almost as bad as last year's game against Utd, though at least we created a lot more chances this time around. I feel sorry for anyone that paid big money for tickets to that, knowing the way Mourinho sets up for matches like these. He was never going to put out a team to attack, the man is pragmatic to the end (even saving that 3rd sub for injury time :rolleyes:)

I'm ok with what I saw from our team, on a different day maybe we get the goal. Things actually turned out well for us elsewhere, so that we're now somehow level with Chelsea and Arsenal on points. I see Utd fans are mostly positive, seeing the result as one of those "end justifies the means" jobs.

They are smashing past teams from the lower half, but so are Man City. The only difference between the two is that Pep is getting the results against Top 6 teams as well. Still early days, but you'd wonder if Mourinho's method might fail him here with City looking so good.

That's the stuff they would have been laughing at other clubs for when Ferguson managed them. They thought football was always like that rather than the reality that it's just a dynasty and those days are over.

They're just another huge football club and they're playing Mourinho ball. And in fairness, that chap will and already has delivered trophies. They'll accept the tripe as long as it gets results. And why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If you dismiss that City lost as being down to fact we were down to ten men, we've lost one game in league since 28th Feb 17, 2 games if you include that City game as an even contest.
    We had enough chances today to score 2 goals easily. We're just not scoring at the minute. Can, Matip, Salah missed great chances.
    The difference this season is we are creating so much against teams that park the bus, but like last season we are failing to win. Last season we could not get a shot on target against teams that sit. Our luck will change fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We learned nothing new yesterday.

We can create chances against anyone.
    We've nobody who can consistently score them.
    Our midfield is not technically good enough without Lallana in there.
    Despite having no pressure on it, our defence still shat itself occasionally with some wild clearances.
    Klopp has a habit of waiting too long to change things.
    Coutinho remains our best player.

Now to start fúcking winning again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I thought Moreno was excellent yesterday. Was outnumbered on a few occasions but did very well. Really has improved this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I thought we were better yesterday than we have been in the last while. More assured and more patient. Games like this will always be difficult but the manner in which we approached it was better in my opinion. Ultimately better quality players in a few positions will mean we win more of these type of games. Specifically in central midfield and up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I hope we find our scoring boots against Spurs. They barely bet Bournemouth so they won't be high on confidence at home

Also. Loved watching Sakho doing Sakho things with CPL against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »
    I thought Moreno was excellent yesterday. Was outnumbered on a few occasions but did very well. Really has improved this year.

He's always a microsecond away from giving away stupid penalties and/or dangerous frees with that mental 100mph tackling technique of his.

He still gives me the shíts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

at least we're not Arsenal, totally in control, miss gilt edged chance, Watford go up the pitch equalise with a dubious penalty and then win in stoppage time. that's generally our type of match. MOTD showing us at the back end of the programme as usual meaning I have to watch this other guff
    now Swansea and Huddersfield oh god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gimli2112 wrote: »
    at least we're not Arsenal, totally in control miss gilt edged chance, Watford go up the pitch equalise with a dubious penalty and then win in stoppage time. that's generally our type of match. MOTD showing us at the back end of the programme as usual meaning I have to watch this other guff

I'm confused that this was billed as one of the games of the season and yet we get dumped at the end...

BBC need dem viewers.

.........Ultimately better quality players in a few positions will mean we win more of these type of games. Specifically in central midfield and up front.

Recruitment remains an issue/challenge.
    We're still interested in Virgil so that's CB being looked at.
    Keita secured for next season however it's quite likely can & coutinho will be gone in the summer..... if both leave we need a replacement to just stand still so to speak.
    And with coutinho. It's trying to replace arguably your best player.

I'm hoping Solanke will improve us up front over the coming seasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Once again a failure to break down a bus. I fear this may be Klopp's undoing, it just keeps happening.

Mourinho's tactics were to be expected, I'll leave it to United fans to decide whether they are happy that after all the money they spent they can be happy to have such an approach when they're supposedly fighting for the title and we're supposedly going to be lucky to challenge for top 4. It's not for us to criticise and Klopp shouldn't either imo, he might have expected this.

The truth is is that football is a game of numerous tactics and any team is free to set up how they wish. We should absolutely have known United were going to set up like this to be honest, it's the Mourinho way.

Not massively disappointed with the draw yesterday, can't read too much into just one result, but it's more so the reoccurrence of this issue that is worrying. We need to be aiming to win about 70% of these types of games imo, a draw here and there is fine, but it's becoming the norm. It's almost expected and I fear it's now affecting belief in the fans and that that's filtering through to the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    at least we're not Arsenal, totally in control, miss gilt edged chance, Watford go up the pitch equalise with a dubious penalty and then win in stoppage time. that's generally our type of match. MOTD showing us at the back end of the programme as usual meaning I have to watch this other guff
    now Swansea and Huddersfield oh god

Liverpool Drew with Watford and they equalised in injury time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A good win on tuesday will do the confidence a world of good and would build on yesterdays positive performance.

I will be disgusted if recruitment is not done this january. Would like to see a cb and striker come in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

ricero wrote: »
    I will be disgusted if recruitment is not done this january. Would like to see a cb and striker come in

I wouldn't hold my breath, in recent seasons the quality players are simply not available, not just for Liverpool but across the board in January. And unfortunately going back and pointing out Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez isn't that relevant as the game/transfers have moved on so much since then.

The only barometer we have is to look at who the top teams bought last January, and pretty much no one was brought in, so it's reasonable to expect the same this time around.

However we could make good signings, but that would be a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation. And that will go for all the top clubs not just in England but across Europe.

edit: Jan 2017 transfers here https://www.premierleague.com/news/214909

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Klopp doesn't do January transfers so try not to get your hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I didn't think Coutinho was great. Lost the ball a few times while we were pressing and it was a miracle United failed to create a clear cut chance on the counter.

Klopp doesn't do January transfers so try not to get your hopes up.

Well if players dont come in then i would want keita type deals done with clubs such as for van dijk and thomas lemar.

They sign for us in the summer. Its about time FSG loosen the purse strings and sign us the fans top talented players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Can had some crazily sloppy passes yesterday too. But yeah it was such a freak of a game I'd be willing and glad to forget about it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Excuse me? Nonsense comment stating a supposed title contender playing away to a top 4 hopeful, playing 6 at the back, isn't ridiculous and anti football and horrible to watch?

You used Arsenal getting tonked as one example. How about City, Chelsea, Spurs who all come and play. We shouldn't consider United capable of doing the same? Now that's nonsense!

It's galling to see us fail to score again, but having a go at the conservative approach of the opposition manager is just tiresome and distracting

I didn't think Coutinho was great. Lost the ball a few times while we were pressing and it was a miracle United failed to create a clear cut chance on the counter.

I thought he had moments of again showing he is a class above even if he didn't ultimately create and clear chances or find a shot.

His mere presence on the pitch terrifies defences, they're constantly trying to deny him space, always good to have a player like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SlickRic wrote: »
    We learned nothing new yesterday.

We can create chances against anyone.
    We've nobody who can consistently score them.
    Our midfield is not technically good enough without Lallana in there.
    Despite having no pressure on it, our defence still shat itself occasionally with some wild clearances.
    Klopp has a habit of waiting too long to change things.
    Coutinho remains our best player.

Now to start fúcking winning again.

This is bang on. I think people underestimate the effect of losing Lallana. He was consistently one of our best players last year and has been a huge loss.

The weird thing is - we have played well in pretty much every game this season. Missing chances and conceding stupid goals have cost us hugely. As much as I love Firmino, I think we should be looking for someone with his qualities - lots of energy, great at closing people down, good technique - but who is also a clinical finisher. We basically need a Suarez.

garra wrote: »
    It's galling to see us fail to score again, but having a go at the conservative approach of the opposition manager is just tiresome and distracting

Ridiculous. We'll never have the same experience as yesterday against any other team. It's the only take from yesterday. Very few teams in the world would have broken them down. 6-3-0-1-0 was the formation they were playing.

Absolutely pointless having anything negative to say about our performance yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Interesting piece on Liverpools tactics this season compared to last by Jonathan Wilson.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/15/jurgen-klopp-tactics-liverpool-manchester-united?CMP=share_btn_tw
    The question for Klopp at Liverpool was always going to be whether his hyperactive approach could be as effective in the Premier League in which everybody plays at a high tempo. Even towards the end in Germany, there was a suspicion that with other teams also pressing hard and high, Dortmund were diminished. It was no longer sufficient to run further or faster than other sides in the league. In addition, as teams become more used to counteracting gegenpressing, as their players become more inclined to hit long balls over the press, the tactic loses its power to shock. Klopp’s approach is no longer unique; it’s not even unusual.

Familiarity is one issue; fatigue, or rather efforts to stave it off, is another. Last season Liverpool’s form collapsed in January. This season, with the Champions League to worry about as well, the sense is that Liverpool have eased back. They are no longer pressing with the same ferocity. In Klopp’s first two seasons at Anfield, the average length of each spell of possession enjoyed by an opponent was 5.9 seconds. This season that is up to 6.5, which is lower than the league average but far from exceptional. Distance run and high-intensity sprint stats have dropped.

That, presumably, is part of a conscious plan – the fear for Liverpool is that it is a result of players losing faith in Klopp and not pushing themselves to their physical limits as a result – and given what happened in the second half of last season it makes sense. The problem is that by not engaging opponents high up the pitch, Liverpool are having to do more traditional defending in their own final third, and they’re not very good at that. It would be misleading to say that the high pressing of the past two seasons masked defensive flaws, for pressing is itself a means of defence. But what is true is that by pressing less hard, Liverpool are now inviting a form of pressure they are ill-equipped to resist, which is why going into the weekend they had the third-worst defensive record in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Its about time FSG loosen the purse strings

Seriously lad

673.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

garra wrote: »

I think that pointing out that when someone with the resources Mourinho has available to him sets up his team to play in the manner of a Burnley or Watford, say, it's absolutely ok to point this out. Burnley came with a gameplan because they're a team with limited resources battling to stay in the PL. United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, unlimited resources at their disposal which are being spent by the supposed top coach in world football and he comes and plays with less ambition than even last year's ****fest - bloody right it deserves comment.

Interesting piece on Liverpools tactics this season compared to last by Jonathan Wilson.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/15/jurgen-klopp-tactics-liverpool-manchester-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

I thought the first comment on the article was pretty good and refreshingly objective, could be one for the mods to put on the match thread before locking it :pac: Quoted below
    Do Man U and Liverpool fans realise that the rest of us find their sniping and bitching totally laughable? There’s barely a single objective comment to be found here...

The truth is this: Man Utd are a very good team and they’re heading in the right direction; but they’re still a shadow of their old selves and have a cheque-book manager who’s style is a betrayal of their great history. Liverpool are a highly entertaining team with a likeable manager; but they have too many flaws to be real title challengers and have a laughable defence and goalkeeper and seem incapable of doing anything about them.

Both teams are actually pretty well-matched but in completely different ways: although they both have a few too many average players in their starting lineup, they are both strong in areas where the other is weak. Man Utd have the better individuals whereas LFC appear to have a better collective spirit. Liverpool have the more dynamic, cohesive attack, Man U have the stronger defence. Liverpool have more brains, Man Utd have more brawn. The fact that - more often than not - these two teams draw (boringly too) should tell you something. The only time you see true daylight between them is when they occasionally meet up and one team is OFF form and the other ON form.

But the truth is that, while their fans whine at each other and play their sad little game of ‘My Dad’s Harder Than Yours’ together, Man City look like they’ll finish ahead of both of them by a comfortable distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Have been watching Van Dijk against Newcastle. Not very impressed.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Sher it's grand, Barca gonna get him out of spite :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've been more impressed in what I have seen from Lascelles so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Origi scored for Wolfsburg today in 2-2 away to Leverkusen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

His head must be all over the place with tactics if Klopp is still skyping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I've been more impressed in what I have seen from Lascelles so far this season.

Rafa making him club captain when he was 22 says it all really. He takes responsibility, and isn't afraid to command those around him. Bright future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Over at the game yesterday and disappointed at final whistle. The disappointment has somewhat subsided after seeing Chelsea & Arsenal loosing.
    The one thing that is glaring from yesterday is our lack of an out and out striker to just score. For all the effort and running Bobby does he just doesn't offer us that ruthlessness we need in front of goal.

Salah was excellent but could have done better with his rebound effort from Matip's effort.
    The midfield 3 for me were are too slow yesterday, Henderson always with the safe sideways pass, Can lots of effort but little end product, and Gini the same.

I'm hoping once Keita comes into the team it will offer us a dynamic forward thinking player that we are lacking.

It was crying out to take off one of the midfield 3 and put Coutinho back there and for either Ox or Sturridge. Klopp as usual makes his changes way too late as whats the point bringing on Solanke for 3 mins. Why not give the subs at least 25 mins to make some impact on the game.

United were there to be got at yesterday and I just feel its a missed opportunity.

I'll say it again but Lallana is a huge loss for his pressing and his ability to turn quickly and see a "killer" pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Was also at the game yesterday and if we had an out and out striker we won that game. Simple. Giving Solanke 2 minutes to make an impact is a joke and he should have been brought on ahead of Sturridge who again looked uninterested. Reckon he may be gone in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

im dumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Finished Squad Batlles on 73,783 points, should be enough for Elite 1 unless it jumps by another 8k before the deadline. The gap near the top is a bit mad, 48k to get Elite 2 and then it takes 66k to get Elite 1. Then after Elite 1 the next highest tier is Top 100 but in order to get into that you currently need 108k points.

This is true, but I still think we need a striker.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This is true, but I still think we need a striker.

ahahahahaha wrong fkin thread.

• Advertisement

ahahahahaha wrong fkin thread.

Deleting it makes it funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mosstin wrote: »
    Deleting it makes it funnier.

This is why you have to get the reply in fast!
    (That said, it was up there for a good 16 mins...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This is why you have to get the reply in fast!
    (That said, it was up there for a good 16 mins...)

I only copped I had posted it here after checking back on the other thread and wondering where my post had gone :p

Anyway back to Liverpool news, Origi scored a towering header today
    https://imgtc.b-cdn.net/uploads/w2Ucl5Q67QT.mp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

He could not be worth the fee/wages that were being mentioned. We were lucky not to get him and if Klopp is still convinced he is the target the fee/wages should be more favourable. Southampton must be kicking themselves. They could have sold him and kept control of the club. Stay up and sell the club next year if they wanted.

sword1 wrote: »
    He could not be worth the fee/wages that were being mentioned. We were lucky not to get him and if Klopp is still convinced he is the target the fee/wages should be more favourable. Southampton must be kicking themselves. They could have sold him and kept control of the club. Stay up and sell the club next year if they wanted.

It'll be interesting to see how Lascelles progresses this year. Rafa knows a good defender, VVD is ridiculously expensive so I do hope that we don't have our eggs solely in a VVD basket come next summer.

watching icardi in the milan derby tonight hes a smashing player. Would love lfc to sign either him or timo werner off leipzig next summer

• Advertisement

Lascelles, young, captain, ENGLISH, probably about £90m in today's market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

watching icardi in the milan derby tonight hes a smashing player. Would love lfc to sign either him or timo werner off leipzig next summer

Icardi is a good player but personally would not want him at our club. Takes low life scumbag to **** around with team mate wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

oh dear across the way they are using todays Sunday Supplement as a good piece about yesterdays game from the rags Neil Custis

The gegenpress views are frighteningly obvious.... I said much the same over 12 months ago about nullifying it with longballs etc and I'm no expert....

That's be klopps book if defensive tactics Virgil was training to on the side pre season :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement