Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local companies that need our support

Options
  • 13-10-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the thread with new/defunct companies and thinking: what if we were to flag up great businesses that we'd really miss? It may be easier to buy from Amazon but that doesn't help our local economy or our shopkeeper neighbours.

So, to get the ball rolling, Baumann's in Stillorgan. An absolute gem of a hardware store with almost everything under the sun. Great staff who are friendly and knowledgeable, and stand over the quality of their goods. There isn't a similar shop for miles around. If you haven't been, go and visit. If it's been a while, go and get all those bits you know you need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Churchtown use to have a fantastic hardware shop.
    I left Ireland 10 years ago so don't know if it is still going or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Get fresh in Rosemount shopping centre (Ballyroan) is fantastic too. As is the fish mongers out near Pearse Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

enda1 wrote: »
    Churchtown use to have a fantastic hardware shop.
    I left Ireland 10 years ago so don't know if it is still going or not though.

It was brilliant too. As far as I know they've gone out of business. That was part of the reason I started this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I second Baumanns. They have a very good pet section too. It's a quick in and out as opposed to miles wandering around Woodies...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

The hardware shop in Churchtown is still open, was in there recently.

Noticed a for sale sign on the building though.

Will miss them when they close, the staff are very helpful and knowledgable - so much better than going to Woodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think some people presume a small shop cannot compete with a big chain who have much bigger buying power. But many big shops are just taking advantage of this fact, they may have a few good offers, which compare well, and then people just shrug and think everything must be on similar margins or is "the going rate".

That maxizoo shop is ridiculously overpriced, as is many pet foods in tesco. I saw some grain feeds in maxizoo and it would have been cheaper to buy smaller organic versions of the same grain in tesco -for human consumption.

There is a good asian shop beside baumanns too.

surprised to see they have a decent website,
    https://baumanns.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

rubadub wrote: »
    I think some people presume a small shop cannot compete with a big chain who have much bigger buying power. But many big shops are just taking advantage of this fact, they may have a few good offers, which compare well, and then people just shrug and think everything must be on similar margins or is "the going rate".

That maxizoo shop is ridiculously overpriced, as is many pet foods in tesco. I saw some grain feeds in maxizoo and it would have been cheaper to buy smaller organic versions of the same grain in tesco -for human consumption.

There is a good asian shop beside baumanns too.

surprised to see they have a decent website,
    https://baumanns.ie/

Yes, it's called 'Ingredients' and has everything from fresh turmeric roots to Indian hair products. There's also a great alterations shop - Jenny's I think?

Advertisement