Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle for shooting fox's.

Options
  • 13-10-2017 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Comments please on the best vehicle for shooting fox's and general all round vehicle. Preferably a commercial vehicle. The Toyota Rav 4 any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Comments please on the best vehicle for shooting fox's and general all round vehicle. Preferably a commercial vehicle. The Toyota Rav 4 any good?

I have never managed to shoot anything with any vehicle I have owned.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

123shooter wrote: »
    I have never managed to shoot anything with any vehicle I have owned.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Commercial van/jeep with a sunroof ( with glass you can remove easily ) and a roof rack.. build a box that you can put on top of the roof rack, and remove the glass from the sunroof when you're going shooting, so you can stand up in the van/jeep and use the box for shelter/to fire from, can wire a connection from battery to box for a lamp, and gun holder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111A_en.pdf

You need to sign a goods only declaration to tax a commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

On a serious point I didnt think you could shoot from a vehicle even if in the middle of a field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Check out the wildlife act. Hunting from a mechanically propelled vehicle may be a non runner.

Seem to think over the years this was discussed on here.

https://nargc.ie/predator-control-and-the-law/

With that in mind Dunlop wellies...there your best man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Read the sections of https://nargc.ie/predator-control-and-the-law/ relating to lamping / hunting from a vehicle and shooting from a road or near public places/dwellings when considering the type of vehicle and how it might (or might not) be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Read the sections of https://nargc.ie/predator-control-and-the-law/ relating to lamping / hunting from a vehicle and shooting from a road or near public places/dwellings when considering the type of vehicle and how it might (or might not) be used.

Link says you can shoot foxes from a vehicle under licence.

Thinking of selling my sorento commercial, it's got a sunroof, tested to 09/18, some tax left on it.

Will PM OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RAV4 doesn't come in commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

On a serious point I didnt think you could shoot from a vehicle even if in the middle of a field?
    NOW,NOW dont be opening a can of worms best not to go their.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If you look at any of the English Utube stuff -using road vehicles: pick up trucks with no canopy seems to be the norm for team work, otherwise a 4x4 with spacious back seat with driver lamping and shooter in rear seat. For single man shooting I see them using large wing mirrors or adapted wing mirrors. With today's highly efficient gun mounted torches there's no flapping around with one hand on the rifle and one on the light.

In one of the previous posts - licence to lamp from vehicles - absolutely spot on you can apply for one but AFAIK it's limited to land stated in the application much like a section 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I have never managed to shoot anything with any vehicle I have owned.:)

Tank? Possibly overkill.

If you can live with a 1.3 petrol engine doing 30mpg and a habit of falling over on roundabouts when driving fast, the suzuki jimny is an excellent off-roader.

It has an old-fashioned mechanical low-range box which the hard core off-roaders prefer and I know it used to have diff locks, so I'm presuming the later models still do.

I've seen them in 2 seat commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

If you can find a Isuzu trooper the older 3.1 there unreal reliable and great power off road with proper tyres.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    If you can live with a 1.3 petrol engine doing 30mpg and a habit of falling over on roundabouts when driving fast, the suzuki jimny is an excellent off-roader.

It has an old-fashioned mechanical low-range box which the hard core off-roaders prefer and I know it used to have diff locks, so I'm presuming the later models still do.

I've seen them in 2 seat commercial.

Is that all they do 30 mpg.

Is that all they do 30 mpg.

The older Jimnys did that, I saw something about injection for the later ones, so maybe they improved it a bit.

30mpg pretty standard for a 4x4, petrol or diesel. Some in the 20's per gallon. The Hilux hovers around 30mpg, even the newer ones, I think.

Newer SUV's give closer to 50, but they are really for the road (Qashqai etc.).

The Vitara diesel does nearly 40mpg diesel, the ones either side of the millennium were pretty good off-road; mechanical low ratio box etc.

Just remember, with the older jeeps you will need to keep putting stuff onto them - applies to any vehicle.

There's no easy way.

That's why I bought a sorento - they don't give trouble if you change the oil and that's an open secret.

Just remember, with the older jeeps you will need to keep putting stuff onto them - applies to any vehicle

As in repairs?

Just remember, with the older jeeps you will need to keep putting stuff onto them - applies to any vehicle

As in repairs?

Yes.

Part of it depends on how it's been looked after, part because some machines are softer than others.

Some vehicles will break your heart to run and to add insult to injury, anything doing 30mpg is a massive PITA in my experience.

Advertisement