Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs duty importing from China

Options
  • 13-10-2017 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi
    I have ordered a small amount of goods valued at $750 from China. It is been delivered by DHL. We are not VAT registered. Do I need to register anywhere to import these and pay the appropriate Vat and customs fee or will DHL handle all the paperwork? I have the Tarriff code and this is listed on the commercial invoice.
    Do I need to register with AEP? I don't understand all this part or whether I need to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

irishmoss wrote: »
    Hi
    I have ordered a small amount of goods valued at $750 from China. It is been delivered by DHL. We are not VAT registered. Do I need to register anywhere to import these and pay the appropriate Vat and customs fee or will DHL handle all the paperwork? I have the Tarriff code and this is listed on the commercial invoice.
    Do I need to register with AEP? I don't understand all this part or whether I need to.

Hi Irishmoss,

Normal procedure is for a Vat registered company to update their Vat no so it can be used as an EORI number.. not sure what the procedure would be for a non-Vat registered company, I presume the same as for a private individual.. i.e. DHL will clear the shipment and bill you the Vat and duty and also a customs clearance fee that they will require to be paid before delivering to you..
    has the cargo shipped already, as you may be able to ask your supplier to send the cargo under DDP( delivered duty paid) terms which would make customs in Ireland their responsibility..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Thanks Andrew I will ask them in China about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

irishmoss wrote: »
    Hi

DHL will clear the shipment on your behalf. That is part of the door to door service that your supplier in China has contracted.

DHL will charge you a fee for processing the payment to Revenue and collecting the funds from you on delivery. That fee will be somewhere around € 10.00 to € 15.00.

If you will be importing on a regular basis it is worth considering registering for VAT, especially if you are selling to VAT registered entities. If you are registered for VAT you can claim a deductible in your periodic VAT return for the VAT paid on imports. If you are not VAT registered you can not claim back the VAT paid on imports.

If you register for VAT you will also have the option to register for EORI in the same process.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi Irishmoss,

Normal procedure is for a Vat registered company to update their Vat no so it can be used as an EORI number.. not sure what the procedure would be for a non-Vat registered company, I presume the same as for a private individual.. i.e. DHL will clear the shipment and bill you the Vat and duty and also a customs clearance fee that they will require to be paid before delivering to you..
    has the cargo shipped already, as you may be able to ask your supplier to send the cargo under DDP( delivered duty paid) terms which would make customs in Ireland their responsibility..

Either way, Duty and / or VAT will be payable. If the shipper takes on that responsibility they no doubt want to recover that outlay from the consignee here in Ireland. I can not see any advantage in changing the terms to DDP, especially since DHL will accept a credit / debit card to settle the duty / VAT outlay.

The Customs process for a non VAT registered company will be the same as for a private individual.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement