Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Fri13. Scary, and not in the good way.

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

De Bild wrote: »
    Im sorry but in the post-church- contraception era, knocking out 6 kids is just irresponsible.

Why? If you can afford to rear them. If both parents want them. Kids from large families are usually the best to adapt socially. Have the corners knocked off them.

Irresponsible ffs:D

Then there should be a special thread opt in thread. A random selection of posts from a posters past are generated and posted....other posters read them and try to gauge how many siblings they have, from how rounded the posts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

De Bild wrote:
    Irresponsible ffs

De Bild wrote:
    Why? If you can afford to rear them. If both parents want them. Kids from large families are usually the best to adapt socially. Have the corners knocked off them.

Haha yup somebody ends up paying for them alright, often not the parents and judging by tonights audience members it ain them either..."best to adapt socially " As unfounded online scutter goes that statement is about as bad as it gets.

The dead cant sue

Family/estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

State of the knack in the audience. Looks like in she's her pyjamas. She's big on top?! Yeah, that's it. Poor Franc had to tell her she'd nice eyes.

unfair,
    she seemed really nice and genuine to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

darlett wrote: »
    Then there should be a special thread opt in thread. A random selection of posts from a posters past are generated and posted....other posters read them and try to gauge how many siblings they have, from how rounded the posts are.

Fairly long winded 'joke'.

Haha yup somebody ends up paying for them alright, often not the parents and judging by tonights audience members it ain them either..."best to adapt socially " As unfounded online scutter goes that statement is about as bad as it gets.

I've seen it with large families where kids have to fit in as opposed to the one/two child model where the child is a cock*d up bollix. Spoilt rotten.

Online scutter flying right back at you mate :D

6 children is irresponsible now that's a scutter statement. Is there a cut off point?

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    unfair,
    she seemed really nice and genuine to me

Me too. Baron Kuntz is calling over weight people retards and generally being a Kuntz so i wouldn't mind his inflated highness on his high horse.

darlett wrote: »

Fairly long winded 'joke'.

Thanks for 'noticing'.

With your anecdotal evidence we have established you are a reputed ethnographer. Explain to me how six kids could possibly receive the same/adequate care/attention as 2-3? Im all ears..there are good reasons why such large familes are not the norm in Ireland anymore, some of which ive previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

What was the name of the priest again & did he say anything in the communion/confirmation not being practised in school, afaik was it due to the PC Brigade again?

With your anecdotal evidence we have established you are a reputed ethnographer. Explain to me how six kids could be possibly receive the same attention as 2-3? Im all ears..there are good reasons why such large familes are not the norm in Ireland anymore, some of which ive previously mentioned.

That's the very point, they receive less attention and aren't spoilt. Too much attention is far worse than too little in many situations. Can you not follow a simple argument?

There's no logical reason why it is irresponsible to have 6 children. Family situations, finances differ. You make a silly sweeping statement.

Stick your 'reputed ethnographer' bs where the sun doesn't shine! In my career i've come across all types of family, and in my experience the 1 child model where Johnny is told he can do no wrong is one of the worst. These kids are always right, can never be corrected. It's always about them and they are the centre of attention. In larger families kids learn to share, fit in, their behaviour in group situations is enhanced.

De Bild wrote:
    Can you not follow a simple argument?

And on that infantilising note goodbye keyboard 'social worker/teacher/Pippa from 'Home And Away'', hey we can all be whatever we want to be in the online sphere :) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    They should all have to tell a joke at the end.

I hope Ray Darcy is not reading.

And on that infantilising note goodbye keyboard 'social worker/teacher/Pippa from 'Home And Away'', hey we can all be whatever we want to be in the online sphere :) lol

Good luck,

Tyler 'one line sweeping statement' Cheribini:D You actually never gave ONE reason why it's irresponsible to have 6 children if you're someone from a socio economic group like Miriam O'Callaghan. Posts full of verbosity but really lacking in detail. Lol:D

P.s 'Infantilising' makes no sense grammatically in the context of your opening statement.. It broadly means to treat someone as a child or in a way which denies their maturity in age or experience. Perhaps you meant 'infantile'. Your verbosity is even letting you down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes I think you are right, I have a suspicion that the antics of the extreme Pro choice side could lose them the referendum.

fact, i just put a €50 bet on the 8th being kept

the una mullally types will put off the sway voters with their proselytizing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's the very point, they receive less attention and aren't spoilt. Too much attention is far worse than too little in many situations. Can you not follow a simple argument?

There's no logical reason why it is irresponsible to have 6 children. Family situations, finances differ. You make a silly sweeping statement.

Stick your 'reputed ethnographer' bs where the sun doesn't shine! In my career i've come across all types of family, and in my experience the 1 child model where Johnny is told he can do no wrong is one of the worst. These kids are always right, can never be corrected. It's always about them and they are the centre of attention. In larger families kids learn to share, fit in, their behaviour in group situations is enhanced.

The best way to countenance silly sweeping statements is always to make silly sweeping statements of your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fact, i just put a €50 bet on the 8th being kept

the una mullally types will put off the sway voters with their proselytizing

How can someone be a sway voter on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Those posters of late-term miscarriages which are placed on the main shopping street, which are surrounded by older men(usually) have succeeded in changing quite a few youngsters from voting repeal and replace to repeal. Especially after the Tuam Babies find.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

On behalf of only children can I just add that whereas you may get more attention it is not always beneficial. Practically there is only.one child to do all chores, plus now (and I'm well grown up) a daily check in is expected. My parents had quite an up and down relationship so you teetered on who to side with living in a pressurised atmosphere. You are the natural trying to solve a problem person. Now that both are older I'm the only one to accompany to hospital appointments. So far this week I've been at 3, picked up prescriptions, organised an electrician, went to two funerals as my mam didn't want to go her own, did the grocery shopping, missed a night.out with friends as my dad wanted to go for a pint. It is not easy being an only child. As my best friend nicely said to me without thinking...you will one day be an orphan all alone in the world.

Anyway on the Late Late it is desperate. You can't mix light entertainment and serious discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

amtc wrote: »
    On behalf of only children can I just add that whereas you may get more attention it is not always beneficial. Practically there is only.one child to do all chores, plus now (and I'm well grown up) a daily check in is expected. My parents had quite an up and down relationship so you teetered on who to side with living in a pressurised atmosphere. You are the natural trying to solve a problem person. Now that both are older I'm the only one to accompany to hospital appointments. So far this week I've been at 3, picked up prescriptions, organised an electrician, went to two funerals as my mam didn't want to go her own, did the grocery shopping, missed a night.out with friends as my dad wanted to go for a pint. It is not easy being an only child. As my best friend nicely said to me without thinking...you will one day be an orphan all alone in the world.

Anyway on the Late Late it is desperate. You can't mix light entertainment and serious discussion.

My family of origin is slightly bigger than yours, and even with a couple extra bod's, this is how it is with aging/older parents. I sometimes envy ppl who have younger parents or lots of siblings(assuming those siblings will help in such things). Hang in there, because when all this is over, you will have the peace of knowing you did everything you could, believe me, that is worth a lot.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭julyjane

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The Catholic Church will not exist here in 20 years

People were saying that 20 years ago.

Cant stop farting.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Those posters of late-term miscarriages which are placed on the main shopping street, which are surrounded by older men(usually) have succeeded in changing quite a few youngsters from voting repeal and replace to repeal. Especially after the Tuam Babies find.

The battle to repeal the 8th ought not be fought on the grounds of sexism, shouting that men should not be telling women what to do with their bodies. That will win an argument by silencing the opponents until ballot box time. It ignores that many men are pro-abortion, and risks alienating some of them, and it doesn't begin to engage the many women voters who will want to block it. We've seen too often lately how forcing opponents underground is not always healthy.

Lastly, we're not exactly China but I fear that easy abortions will lead to greater chance of an abortion for a female foetus. Hows that for grounds for equality.

There's enough reasons related to health and humanity for the living, and to mature by not secretively passing our issue on to England in the form of a weekend trip, is much more capable of winning support rather than telling men they simply have no stake in the lives of babies beyond being sexist. I am pro-choice, but the nuances of the repeal arguments needs greater attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It has come to my attention that PeterTheNinth has closed his account :(

This is very sad news, Peter is the funniest, most eloquent, wittiest poster I have ever known on this site and I will miss his posts a lot.

Peter (and his previous incarnations) added a huge amount to the Television Forum and frankly, neither me nor any of you of are as good at this Boards thing as he was.

Salute to you Peter, hope you come back soon.

If Peter has already started posting under a new account, please disregard the above. I don't want to give him a big head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Skid X wrote: »

This is very sad news, Peter is the funniest, most eloquent, wittiest poster I have ever known on this site and I will miss his posts a lot.

Peter (and his previous incarnations) added a huge amount to the Television Forum and frankly, neither me nor any of you of are as good at this Boards thing as he was.

If Peter has already started posting under a new account, please disregard the above. I don't want to give him a big head.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooo :(

Why is it always the good ones??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

2017 you bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Skid X wrote: »

He also brought much needed humour to the Liveline thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

amtc wrote: »

Also children nowadays seem to (arguably) get too much supervision, monitoring and control, doing less and less by themselves or on their own initiative; it's not surprising that this leaves them anxious and struggling to deal with adulthood when they haven't been able to learn resilience or independence in childhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Forget the church in 20 years, the question is will the late late still be interviewing pish posh guests and will Ray D'arcy be presenting it

Lottie Ryan. D'Arcy isn't of the right gene pool for the LLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The sad part is, there's probably a dozen great Irish bands out there producing decent credible music, but RTE give all the space to Country music.

I think Ryan thinks it's kitch having country on. He is probably still stuck in 2005 when 'Walk the Line' came out and saw a resurgence in Johnny cash.
    He's a parody of a talk show host. And not a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The sad part is, there's probably a dozen great Irish bands out there producing decent credible music, but RTE give all the space to Country music.

RTE chatshows are an enemy of real music. You can be sure that this drivel promoted on the Late Late Show is not proper country music either. I played Elvis at the weekend doing songs like Reconsider Baby and Starting Today and they are proper country music songs and nothing like that Farmer Wants a Wife drivel Irish singers do. Modern Irish singers haven't a clue how to do proper country songs. Elvis and singers of that era could do country and all styles properly and knew music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I miss the days of inappropriate bands rattling the audiences cage.... Garry Moore blew the heads off the audience once... As did therapy.... And of course the infamous pop will eat itself appearance...

Advertisement