Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New indoor race initiatve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

https://www.nationalsportscampus.ie/nialive

Might be of some interest though those who aren't a fan of the much over the winter. Looks to have some of the Nitro Athletics elements in it.

This is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

https://www.nationalsportscampus.ie/nialive

Might be of some interest though those who aren't a fan of the muck over the winter. Looks to have some of the Nitro Athletics elements in it.

So what you're saying is....indoor is the new XC? Excellent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Thursday nights, wonderful:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

raiders11 wrote: »

It's a no from me so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Why wouldn't they do midweek nights?

How man sprinters/middle distance have well lit tracks in the dark at the time?

Coupled with the fact that I reckon you be hard pressed come Jan/Feb to get abbottstown booked with juvenile and senior race calendar as is.

They are adding to the calendar, might not suit everyone but it's an addition not an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Why wouldn't they do midweek nights?

How man sprinters/middle distance have well lit tracks in the dark at the time?

Coupled with the fact that I reckon you be hard pressed come Jan/Feb to get abbottstown booked with juvenile and senior race calendar as is.

They are adding to the calendar, might not suit everyone but it's an addition not an alternative.

No doubt about it, it's a positive move but if your from remote areas, its of no benefit... Yes, come Jan/Feb, the place will be busy at weekends but Nov/Dec??

No doubt about it, it's a positive move but if your from remote areas, its of no benefit... Yes, come Jan/Feb, the place will be busy at weekends but Nov/Dec??

There has actually been a few weekends booked up with activities such as the Family Sportsfest and a few other activities over the last while.

If its good enough for Ronnie, it's good enough for us. ;)

https://twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/918908944982118401

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This does look great, I wonder if 'all standards' means all standards.... wouldn't mind trying something like this and might encourage a few from our FFL crew too but not if it includes speedies...!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

It doesn't look like the details of these meets have been fully thought out yet. These meets have the potential to be very popular, so it's hard to see how they'll manage to stage more than two track events in the 90 minutes time slot (8pm to 9.30pm). Perhaps three events at a push? Yet four or more track events seem to be scheduled for each night.

They promise 'No waiting around' (which implies an accurate timetable) but plan to take entries on the night (meaning it will be difficult to draw up an accurate timetable in advance).

The poster for the series lists events such as 60m Hurdles, Long Jump, High Jump and Team 5k that I don't see on the detailed programme for the various nights. Yet events such as 200m, 400m, 1500m and Shot Putt seem to be included in the detailed programme but are not mentioned on the poster!

• Advertisement

This does look great, I wonder if 'all standards' means all standards.... wouldn't mind trying something like this and might encourage a few from our FFL crew too but not if it includes speedies...!

Races would be graded so you wouldn't have to worry about the speedies.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    It doesn't look like the details of these meets have been fully thought out yet. These meets have the potential to be very popular, so it's hard to see how they'll manage to stage more than two track events in the 90 minutes time slot (8pm to 9.30pm). Perhaps three events at a push? Yet four or more track events seem to be scheduled for each night.

They promise 'No waiting around' (which implies an accurate timetable) but plan to take entries on the night (meaning it will be difficult to draw up an accurate timetable in advance).

The poster for the series lists events such as 60m Hurdles, Long Jump, High Jump and Team 5k that I don't see on the detailed programme for the various nights. Yet events such as 200m, 400m, 1500m and Shot Putt seem to be included in the detailed programme but are not mentioned on the poster!

Yeh have to say I thought the same about the 90 minutes slot. No way will they fit in all these races into that time realistically, if the meets are popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

there might not be many races until it catches on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Events for the first 4 dates confirmed
    9th Nov- 1st Night
    8pm -600mtrs
    300mtrs
    Mile
    2 x 200mtrs relay

23rd Nov- 2nd Night
    8pm -800mtrs -Shot Putt
    150mtrs
    3000mtrs

7th Dec – 3rd Night
    8pm- 600mts/ Long Jump
    300mts
    1000mtrs
    2 x200mtr relay

14th Dec- 4th Night
    RELAY/MILE NIGHT Shot Putt
    Elimination Miles – 12 pax per Race(further Details 2 weeks out)
    2 x200mtrs
    2 x400mtrs
    Long Distance Medley Relay 200,400,800,1600
    Short Distance Medley Relay 400,200,200,400

Giving this a bump with 1st night on Thursday

http://futureticketing.ie/client/aquazone/nialivenovember9th.html

Looks to be a good bit of interest in the 400 judging by ticket sales so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Giving this a bump with 1st night on Thursday

http://futureticketing.ie/client/aquazone/nialivenovember9th.html

Looks to be a good bit of interest in the 400 judging by ticket sales so far.

Thanks for posting. I didn’t realize there was online entry and limited spots. I won’t be running this week - can’t persuade anyone to join me for the relay but I am planning to do the 150m in a fortnight so I’ll be interested to see how it goes tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Does it cost anything to watch if you're not competing?

ooter wrote: »
    Does it cost anything to watch if you're not competing?

I sincerely hope not :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Free entry for spectators according to the website. Hope to participate at some point too. Mile, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Does anyone know where you can find the results from these events? 2nd one was last night.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen the results officially posted but from what I know mile yesterday was won in 4.44 and 4 under 4.55

Only result I have though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Haven't seen the results officially posted but from what I know mile yesterday was won in 4.44 and 4 under 4.55

Yeah can't find anything anywhere either. I heard that Emma Mitchell and Fionnuala ran the 3k with Emma winning but the Fionnuala went on to run another 1k at the end of the race? Sounds strange

It was extremely impressive to watch, the Donore guy who was 3rd in the end (I think) just pipped someone on the line. The winner was a good bit ahead from about 800m. Stellar running.

Well done too to Mulberry who won her 200m race and career_move in her (first?) 200 race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It was extremely impressive to watch, the Donore guy who was 3rd in the end (I think) just pipped someone on the line. The winner was a good bit ahead from about 800m. Stellar running.

Brothers Pearse, obviously :D

actually, he posts on here sometimes, gosh123 I think?

RayCun wrote: »

Yes I saw a BP singlet! and I've met gosh at the Clonee 10k (I think), didn't realise it was him. I hope I'm remembering that correctly but the Donore guy was very tall, long legs and he seemed to come of nowhere in the last 100m.

There was also a false start in one of the races, the first mens 200, the lead guy shot off and had run 100m before he heard the calls to come back.

What were numbers like yesterday and how did it compare to the first meet?

Would be nice if they posted results online! Seems a bit bizarre that they don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What were numbers like yesterday and how did it compare to the first meet?

Would be nice if they posted results online! Seems a bit bizarre that they don’t.

Ask them! They 'posted' them on the wall straight away so they have them recorded.

Not sure how many people. Just one mile race rather than two, with about 10 or so in it I think. We had four 200M races, so another 18-20 people altogether, and then the shot. 800M - not sure how many people in this and the 3K. At a guess I'd say 50 ish. There should be more - this is a great event! Very nice atmosphere, the guys know what they're doing, a great opportunity to practice-race at this time of year. Loved it.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Ask them! They 'posted' them on the wall straight away so they have them recorded.

Not sure how many people. Just one mile race rather than two, with about 10 or so in it I think. We had four 200M races, so another 18-20 people altogether, and then the shot. 800M - not sure how many people in this and the 3K. At a guess I'd say 50 ish. There should be more - this is a great event! Very nice atmosphere, the guys know what they're doing, a great opportunity to practice-race at this time of year. Loved it.

November is extremely early. For example, I’ve done just 2 sessions in spikes so far since starting back 1st October. I’m sure numbers will pick up in December and more so after Christmas when people are in shape and looking for races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

RayCun wrote: »

That's him, think he's given up on the log though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Results from NIA Live on 23rd Dec are on this page: [url][/url]https://www.nationalsportscampus.ie/nialive

On the page scroll down to this bit and there's a link to a pdf file:

What are dates and events each night?
    The races will follow the order listed as per web page each night.

23rd Nov- 2nd Night
    8pm -Mile- Shot Putt
    200mtrs
    800mtrs
    3000mtrs

Check out results from NIA Live 23rd November
    HERE

Advertisement