Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick?

Options
  • 13-10-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I found this outside my front door s few days ago, so I took a picture as I thought it was unusual.
    I was watching a program on the TV when they were talking about the different ticks and some can carry Lyme disease.
    Could anyone enlighten me here on what kind of tick it seems to be.
    I would really appreciate any info/opinion on this.
    Regards
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

jopax wrote: »
    I found this outside my front door s few days ago, so I took a picture as I thought it was unusual.
    I was watching a program on the TV when they were talking about the different ticks and some can carry Lyme disease.
    Could anyone enlighten me here on what kind of tick it seems to be.
    I would really appreciate any info/opinion on this.
    Regards
    Thanks

That ain't no tick. It's a Shield bug. Lovely little creatures they are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Palomena prasina (Green shield bug)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Mods please feel free to move me if I'm in the wrong forum
    Thanks

Thanks for that vowel, I don't remember seeing them before. At least I know now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Ticks are way smaller. Think grain of sugar for reference.
    Had Lyme disease twice. Not pleasant.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    Ticks are way smaller. Think grain of sugar for reference.
    Had Lyme disease twice. Not pleasant.

Oh no thats awful, hope you weren't left with any ongoing issues.

Oh no thats awful, hope you weren't left with any ongoing issues.

It's kind of hard to tell with the litany of illnesses and accidents I've gone through. The list of symptoms that can go with Lyme are as long as a wet week.
    In terms of what I experienced it was like a flu that kept me in bed for two weeks. Fever, aches, knackered.
    The second time we caught it early and got on the doxycycline straight away so it wasn't as bad.

The characteristic rash was not present in either case but I was bitten alright multiple times.
    I used to spend a fair deal of spare time in the mountains here and that's where I got it both times.

I'm luckier than a lot that got it though.

The awareness is still growing in this country and people may not equate an illness some time after a bite that they barely noticed. Education and vigilance is key.
    Any time I'm in the hills these days outside of winter I'm constantly swatting at my legs and checking every last dark speck on my clothes.

Anyway. Shield bugs are cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

This sounds weird... but did anyone ever smell a shield bug?
    A friend got me to do it before. He picked it up and gently rubbed it's belly and it emitted a scent... can't remember what it was like as it was about 15 years ago. But It was kinda like vanilla!

Anyhow tics... found one the other day when I was ironing the kids clothes.. gripping on to the fibres until I pulled it off with a pointy steak knife. I usually just put the clothes on the radiator when they're as good as dry from the washing line... now I'm checking as much as I can and ironing as much as I can.
    They're dropping down from the trees above the washing line...

Ohhh just remembered I took a video of it under the kids microscope! I'll try and upload it later. Was difficult to get an image.

Edit:well that's as good as an image I could get.
    Screenshot_20171014-203018.png
    Screenshot_20171014-202837.png

It's kind of hard to tell with the litany of illnesses and accidents I've gone through. The list of symptoms that can go with Lyme are as long as a wet week.
    In terms of what I experienced it was like a flu that kept me in bed for two weeks. Fever, aches, knackered.
    The second time we caught it early and got on the doxycycline straight away so it wasn't as bad.
    The characteristic rash was not present in either case but I was bitten alright multiple times.
    I used to spend a fair deal of spare time in the mountains here and that's where I got it both times.

I'm luckier than a lot that got it though.

The awareness is still growing in this country and people may not equate an illness some time after a bite that they barely noticed. Education and vigilance is key.
    Any time I'm in the hills these days outside of winter I'm constantly swatting at my legs and checking every last dark speck on my clothes.

Anyway. Shield bugs are cool!

Wow , to catch it twice is very unlucky. I think what would concern me most is doctors not taking it seriously, if they did like your 2nd time and get antibiotics, at least it can be treated.
    Definitely education is needed here eg. My daughter had a school trip last year and they were going into the woods. She wanted to wear shorts & I said to wear tracksuit instead in case she got a tick bite. She mentioned this to the teacher in school & she said there was no such thing in this country.

A friend got me to do it before. He picked it up and gently rubbed it's belly and it emitted a scent... can't remember what it was like as it was about 15 years ago. But It was kinda like vanilla!

Anyhow tics... found one the other day when I was ironing the kids clothes.. gripping on to the fibres until I pulled it off with a pointy steak knife. I usually just put the clothes on the radiator when they're as good as dry from the washing line... now I'm checking as much as I can and ironing as much as I can.
    They're dropping down from the trees above the washing line...

Ohhh just remembered I took a video of it under the kids microscope! I'll try and upload it later. Was difficult to get an image.

Edit:well that's as good as an image I could get.
    Screenshot_20171014-203018.png
    Screenshot_20171014-202837.png

I never thought of them dropping from tress onto the washing line. Thanks for the picture, looks like a horrible little thing.

• Advertisement

Wow , to catch it twice is very unlucky. I think what would concern me most is doctors not taking it seriously, if they did like your 2nd time and get antibiotics, at least it can be treated.
    Definitely education is needed here eg. My daughter had a school trip last year and they were going into the woods. She wanted to wear shorts & I said to wear tracksuit instead in case she got a tick bite. She mentioned this to the teacher in school & she said there was no such thing in this country.

For the record I was up the Comeragh mountains both times I caught it. So for that teacher to suggest there's no such thing is surprising to say the least. Just goes to show that more education is needed.

For the record I was up the Comeragh mountains both times I caught it. So for that teacher to suggest there's no such thing is surprising to say the least. Just goes to show that more education is needed.

Thanks for that, I thought the same when the teacher said it. She was very young in her early 20's so maybe that is why she was so dismissive.
    I told my daughter not to mind what she said & sent her off with a tracksuit & long sleeved t shirt any way.
    I don't know why there isn't more education out there to the general public.
    I have watched a lot about it in the states before it was accepted that it was actually happening
    The people that had it weren't believed & were told it was all in there head.
    Obviously now it is recognised there but very scary stuff to be suffering & to be told it's psychological.
    Thanks again for sharing that, I think it's needed for the public to have some awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The smell is a self defence mechanism. I ate one by accident once. It was on a raspberry I picked. Awful. Took a good while to rinse the taste away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The smell is a self defence mechanism. I ate one by accident once. It was on a raspberry I picked. Awful. Took a good while to rinse the taste away.

The shield bug also goes under the name of 'Stink Bug' in many countries. The odour is certainly a defence mechanism and years ago the offending substance was dried and used to add a warning odour to strong acids - artificial ingredients are used today.

Hello all,

Just saw it advertised on tv3 on Wednesday at 10.40, they are doing a program on ticks & people that have been affected by Lyme disease if anyone is interested.

Advertisement