Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with gas with set temperature switches

• 13-10-2017 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey all

So, I've been having some trouble cooking with a gas oven and hobs. The dials for both are numbered, so you don't have full control of the level of heat (if that makes sense!). The options for the hob are low, medium and high, and the options for the oven are 1 - 8, but the heat from the oven comes from the gas flames at the bottom.

Well, everything is burning! Even putting a pot on the low setting on the hob, it will boil over.

I made a disaster of a lasagne which somehow burned at the bottom while I was waiting for it.to cook through. (Didn't help though that the dish was too large...), but, I've made it work before with too-large dishes.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gas Marks in the oven correspond to Celsius temperatures, 1 is 140 and 10 is 260, just Google it for the full range. Obviously they're not digitally accurate and every oven is slightly different, so you need to get to know your own. My (electric) oven is far hotter at the back than the front, for instance, so I need to rotate the trays by 180 degrees halfway through cooking.

Gas hobs generally just go from low to high, so if something is boiling over even on the lowest setting then you probably just need to move it to a smaller ring. Good, heavy-bottomed cookware also disperses the heat more evenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

For the stovetop you can get a heat diffuser that you put over the flame; something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metaltex-only-Diffuser-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003LXFGSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1507980061&sr=1-1&keywords=heat+diffuser

They work pretty well :)

edit: Seems a bit mad that the hob dials only have three settings, I though the whole point of a gas hob was that you have complete control of the heat, but there's no accounting for designers...

Advertisement