Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting teenagers.

• 13-10-2017 8:38pm

So I taught English in Vietnam for around 6-7 years and then a few months ago, I basically quit that to start a career in web-development. Before I did that, I did something weird.. I let all my old students, around 600+ of them, add me on Facebook.

Why? I wanted to share interactive study materials that I had made and spread my site. It's probably illegal in Ireland, but in Vietnam, who cares.

Because of that, around 10 students keep in contact with me with questions about English, about life, about bullying, about parents, about problems etc. And as usual, I have messages to send this weekend.

My girlfriend helps me out a bit but mostly it's just me sending back some replies. It's heartbreaking how much it means to some of them and it reminds be of the hell I went through as a teenager.. Too old to cry.. Too old to be a baby in front of your uncle.. But too young to handle it yourself etc. Trapped.

It's frustrating that we leave teenagers to whatever circumstances they fall into.. I'd have given anything for someone like myself to talk to me when I was 15, when I was getting bullied by students and teachers. Literally no one helped me through those years. And I guess that's why I feel obliged to help these students, even though I'll never even see them again.

The "stranger danger" thing really kills support for teenagers through their formative years unfortunately.

Edit: This screenshot from a chan reminded me of this and inspired this post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Maybe your true calling isn't web development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

No one helped me either, ended up a junkie at 18, but managed somehow to get myself out of that cycle after 30 years, and im now a functioning member of society, an old fart once told me, there isn't a problem that can't be solved, stuck with me for years, then I realised what he meant, and cured myself

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So I taught English in Vietnam for around 6-7 years and then a few months ago, I basically quit that to start a career in web-development. Before I did that, I did something weird.. I let all my old students, around 600+ of them, add me on Facebook.

Why? I wanted to share interactive study materials that I had made and spread my site. It's probably illegal in Ireland, but in Vietnam, who cares.

Because of that, around 10 students keep in contact with me with questions about English, about life, about bullying, about parents, about problems etc. And as usual, I have messages to send this weekend.

My girlfriend helps me out a bit but mostly it's just me sending back some replies. It's heartbreaking how much it means to some of them and it reminds be of the hell I went through as a teenager.. Too old to cry.. Too old to be a baby in front of your uncle.. But too young to handle it yourself etc. Trapped.

It's frustrating that we leave teenagers to whatever circumstances they fall into.. I'd have given anything for someone like myself to talk to me when I was 15, when I was getting bullied by students and teachers. Literally no one helped me through those years. And I guess that's why I feel obliged to help these students, even though I'll never even see them again.

The "stranger danger" thing really kills support for teenagers through their formative years unfortunately.

The stuff you're talking about are perfect examples of why Youth Work and good youth workers can be massively important in the development of young peoples social and emotional skills. Jigsaw (national centre for youth mental health) talk about how "one good adult" can be an extremely important part of a young person's development for a whole host of reasons.

I was lucky when I was a kid that I have supportive people around me who I could talk to about stuff openly and who encouraged me to do so, but lots of people aren't so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Maybe they're just lying and trying to scam whitey out of some dollars with their sob stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Maybe they're just lying and trying to scam whitey out of some dollars with their sob stories?

I was wondering when an AH slant would be put on this. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

That's not very PC mate.

Because of that, around 10 students keep in contact with me with questions about English, about life, about bullying, about parents, about problems etc. And as usual, I have messages to send this weekend...

Hmmmmmmm.

I don't think I'd have the qualifications or expertise needed to talk to a vulnerable teenager about something as complex as relationships with their parents. Know of people - teachers too - who've waded into this stuff simply on the basis that they thought they intuitively knew and ended up aggravating situations they really knew nothing about as they were only hearing one side of the story. One resulted in a teacher getting into a lot of trouble with a student who was highly manipulative with very complex psychological issues, eating disorders and self harming that was not disclosed. Really messed up, teacher thought she was a Counsellor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cai2p_UNUs_AADw3_F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP,
    Me love you long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Hammer89 wrote: »
    That's not very PC mate.
    fcuk sake. here we go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

fcuk sake. here we go

Whooooosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I just want to say that I think you are doing something fantastic, and have massive respect for you for that :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

OP - I commend you for what you are doing.

I was badly bullied in school for a couple of years in my teens which which was topped off by the sudden and tragic death of my mum. Which I've never really gotten over. It is hard enough being a teenager with a normal life let alone have to deal with other bad sh*t.

I wish you well.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Your heart is "too booku, too booku".

I'm bumping this thread so more people can see why I posted it initially.

There have been five of us Rocket League players in Asia trying desperately to help a seriously skilled, but incredibly depressed young Malaysian player. For months, he has been battling everything, and getting no help from anyone "real" and it is so frustrating. He is at breaking point and I feel useless now trying to help over Discord.

Teenagers are fat more susceptible to depression and anxiety that a grown adult, so please try and help when you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Teenagers need to develop an important life skill: coping.

Teenagers need to develop an important life skill: coping.

Some need help in that regard.

Some need help in that regard.
    Everyone does.
    We are our brothers keeper.

Everyone does.
    We are our brothers keeper.

I don't really know how to read your posts.. We're not a warrior race where survival of the fittest is what's important. Survival of loved ones is important.

Are you saying I shouldn't want to help teenagers? I don't want to put words in your mouth but it might force you to clarify your stance.

I won't be forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If they stopped being arseholes they might get more support

I won't be forced.

Then do it freely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Teenagers are fat more susceptible to depression and anxiety that a grown adult, so please try and help when you can.

Says who? Dr. Ads by Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If they stopped being arseholes they might get more support

You can’t really blame them, they didn’t ask to be born.

Says who? Dr. Ads by Google?

If that's what makes you happy.

Advertisement