Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hunting / selling price v asking price

Options
  • 13-10-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi

Any advice on searching for a house to buy? Obviously checking daft.ie and myhome.ie but are there other sources/websites worth looking up?

Also wondering if anyone knows how much above asking price houses are selling in Dublin 24 at the moment? Our mortgage would just about cover the asking price of the houses we are interested in, but is it realistic to be looking at these, or should we be looking at houses well under budget?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Ninja_Go wrote: »
    Hi

Any advice on searching for a house to buy? Obviously checking daft.ie and myhome.ie but are there other sources/websites worth looking up?

Also wondering if anyone knows how much above asking price houses are selling in Dublin 24 at the moment? Our mortgage would just about cover the asking price of the houses we are interested in, but is it realistic to be looking at these, or should we be looking at houses well under budget?
    Thanks in advance

Well under budget.

Rarely do houses sell in Dublin sell at the asking price, supply is lower than demand so it's likely there will be other bidders, particularly if it is in the starter home sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi

Thanks in advance

move your budget. what your budget is now sounds like its not enought. in 12 months time after not finding anything you will move up in budget and would be more likely to buy now for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ninja_Go

move your budget. what your budget is now sounds like its not enought. in 12 months time after not finding anything you will move up in budget and would be more likely to buy now for that.

What do you mean by 'move your budget' ?
    Conjure up more money out of thin air?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What do you mean by 'move your budget' ?
    Conjure up more money out of thin air?

come back in 12 months. let us know where you are

come back in 12 months. let us know where you are

I've only come here looking for advice, and I'm just asking you to clarify what you mean by 'move your budget' - are you suggesting to somehow increase my budget?I'd love to know how to do this?!
    If you actually meant to say 'move your location to better suit your budget' well at least that is possible. There's no need to get snotty with me is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I've only come here looking for advice, and I'm just asking you to clarify what you mean by 'move your budget' - are you suggesting to somehow increase my budget?I'd love to know how to do this?!
    If you actually meant to say 'move your location to better suit your budget' well at least that is possible. There's no need to get snotty with me is there?

Is your current budget pushing you to the max?
    If it is, you have a huge problem. If you are buying a house you need good fundamentals behind you, don't ever let your budget be 'whatever the bank will give me'.

It's not unreasonable for this chap to have assumed a difference between (1) your budget and (2) you at your max. Hence the suggestion to move the budget.

In terms of the prices you see on daft, budget a minimum of 5% more than asking, but realistically 10%, and ideally 15%. Asking prices generate interest, they are not selling prices. Look at the property price register, the houses selling at asking in Dublin and the commuter belt are like hens teeth, though you might get something 5 or 10k above asking in the wider commuter belt like Bettystown, Drogheda, or Navan.

Dublin 24 of them all is pretty competitive given how accessible the prices are. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

We only looked at one house in tallaght when we bought. Old, cold & would need a lot of work & when we viewed it it was 5k over the asking. Not sure what its like now, we bought a year ago.
    Go to a few viewings in area's your interested in & see how they go would give you an idea. You didn't mention what your budget was but you might get better value in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

No he's saying you need to save for 12 months more in order to purchase. Problem with that though is an extra 12 months renting assuming you are and also more price increases.

myshirt wrote: »
    Is your current budget pushing you to the max?
    If it is, you have a huge problem. If you are buying a house you need good fundamentals behind you, don't ever let your budget be 'whatever the bank will give me'.

It's not unreasonable for this chap to have assumed a difference between (1) your budget and (2) you at your max. Hence the suggestion to move the budget.

In terms of the prices you see on daft, budget a minimum of 5% more than asking, but realistically 10%, and ideally 15%. Asking prices generate interest, they are not selling prices. Look at the property price register, the houses selling at asking in Dublin and the commuter belt are like hens teeth, though you might get something 5 or 10k above asking in the wider commuter belt like Bettystown, Drogheda, or Navan.

Dublin 24 of them all is pretty competitive given how accessible the prices are. Best of luck.

Thanks for all of the above. PPR selling prices aren't far off the current asking for the areas we're interested in, but its hard to know what the asking prices were on those properties, prices have gone up a lot in the past few months. We are very close to our max with deposit+mortgage with only a few grand to spare which we'll need for stamp duty/solicitors fees etc.

cronos wrote: »
    No he's saying you need to save for 12 months more in order to purchase. Problem with that though is an extra 12 months renting assuming you are and also more price increases.

I think it's safe to say he wasn't saying save for 12 months more, but was saying I'll get nowhere in 12 months without increasing the budget.. which is pretty impossible unless I'm somehow gifted a substantial chunk of cash.

• Advertisement

raxy wrote: »
    We only looked at one house in tallaght when we bought. Old, cold & would need a lot of work & when we viewed it it was 5k over the asking. Not sure what its like now, we bought a year ago.
    Go to a few viewings in area's your interested in & see how they go would give you an idea. You didn't mention what your budget was but you might get better value in Clondalkin.

Yes definitely better value in Clondalkin and resigning ourselves to that idea but being from Tallaght and living back here for 6 years I'd prefer to buy in Tallaght, even if it's old and cold or whatever. I don't know clondalkin well and the more affordable houses there seem to be further and further from Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You need to invest your money so that your money does some leg work for you. Speak to a financial advisor. Look for something in the 3-5% return range, mix of etf's, low yield bonds, or property if you want to hedge somewhat. You don't want to risk that deposit but you do need your money to work for you because the prices will grow faster than you can save and faster than your wage growth, you will never catch up just leaving that money going stale.

You need to invest your money so that your money does some leg work for you. Speak to a financial advisor. Look for something in the 3-5% return range, mix of etf's, low yield bonds, or property if you want to hedge somewhat. You don't want to risk that deposit but you do need your money to work for you because the prices will grow faster than you can save and faster than your wage growth, you will never catch up just leaving that money going stale.

Thanks for your reply but we don't want to grow our money we want to buy a house as quickly as possible, judging by the responses to this thread we just need to be more realistic about the asking prices and location. We have rented for 14 years and finally have a deposit and mortgage approval after saving for 6 years, most definitely do not want to wait any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭kaymin

There's too many contradictions in this advice - you have to take risks to get higher returns. Encouraging novices to invest their hard earned deposits in etfs when markets and company valuations are at all time highs is crazy. Also their time horizon is not at all suitable. If you are investing short-term (<5years) you should only invest in equities money you are prepared to lose.

In short, don't follow this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ninja_Go wrote:

I'm not sure if all houses get listed on daft but you could check out the local ea in the area that you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Are you a CFA or are you unqualified and giving out nonsense advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Go to as many viewings as possible so you can get a better idea of the demand / competition. If possible don't put yourself under pressure to buy right now.
    EA's can smell desperation.
    If your budget is €300k then I would be looking in the €230-€280k bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I bought last year for 2% under asking. It does happen. .

Below asking doesn't mean good value. In our case the asking was too high, and we probably overpaid. The house had been on market for ages.

Make lots of offers, don't get fixated on one house.

If you want value find somewhere with something that would put off other people but not you. E.g. buy an ugly house if you're blind.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 minimumprice

If you are the first time buyer, worth a read:
    thejournal.ie/9-things-every-first-time-buyer-should-do-according-to-an-estate-agent-3611301-Oct2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CorkonianBoy

Can someone explain the strategy in offering prices that are 10-15% BELOW expected sales prices?  To generate a bidding war?  Why not list property at 10-15% ABOVE expected pricing and then sell at a price that makes buyer think they are getting a discount?  I do not know of any statistics on this issue but I wonder which strategy generally results in the higher sales price.  This would be an interesting study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can someone explain the strategy in offering prices that are 10-15% BELOW expected sales prices?  To generate a bidding war?  Why not list property at 10-15% ABOVE expected pricing and then sell at a price that makes buyer think they are getting a discount?  I do not know of any statistics on this issue but I wonder which strategy generally results in the higher sales price.  This would be an interesting study.

You mean like every single Auction in the world? Because that's what a house sale is.

The psychology behind it is simple, once people "bid" they are invested. Once a person is invested in something, they are will to put more into it.

You mean like every single Auction in the world? Because that's what a house sale is.

The psychology behind it is simple, once people "bid" they are invested. Once a person is invested in something, they are will to put more into it.
    Yes, Cuddlesworth, I understand the psychology, however, every house sale is not an "auction" in the traditional sense.  In a real auction, there are truly motivated participants, a specific time limit, vendors are required to accept the highest bid and bidders are required to close.  For property sales, participants may or may not be motivated, listing prices can change, offers/acceptances can be withdrawn, and there is no set time limit.

I truly wonder if this process has been designed mostly to benefit auctioneers who wish to shorten the marketing period and do not care whether vendor receives the highest possible price?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: off-topic posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can use daft or my home ie and the price register to see what a house is worth in any area.
    Say you have permission to borrow 200k from your bank
    look at houses going for 140-200 k.
    Prices are going up in dublin ,
    it depends what area you go for, you may have 1 or more bidders .
    People want to live in citys, urban area,s ,
    theres plenty of cheap houses in rural area,s .
    Theres very few houses being built at the moment,
    and loads of potential buyers.
    I see articles about finglas, or dublin 15 , in regard to
    new places to buy
    the prices are low compared with santry or dublin 2.
    Blnchardstown has good transport links and a large shopping centre .
    Agents may price 10 per cent below what they think a house is worth
    to get in more prospective buyers.
    In area,s of high demand the asking price may be a starting point,
    eg i might take 200, but if someone offers 250k,
    I wont refuse the offer.
    in dublin its a sellers market.20 0r 40k off a price is not enough to start a bidding war.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Yes, Cuddlesworth, I understand the psychology, however, every house sale is not an "auction" in the traditional sense.  In a real auction, there are truly motivated participants, a specific time limit, vendors are required to accept the highest bid and bidders are required to close.  For property sales, participants may or may not be motivated, listing prices can change, offers/acceptances can be withdrawn, and there is no set time limit.

I truly wonder if this process has been designed mostly to benefit auctioneers who wish to shorten the marketing period and do not care whether vendor receives the highest possible price?

Agents sometimes price at a lower asking as it attracts people to the poperty. The more people he or she gets to see it then the more likely bidders.

Agents sometimes price at a lower asking as it attracts people to the poperty. The more people he or she gets to see it then the more likely bidders.
    Yes, fox, that strategy should result in more bids.  But will it result in achieving the highest price?  I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Yes, fox, that strategy should result in more bids.  But will it result in achieving the highest price?  I am not sure.

I agree it can be a bit odd. The risk is people see the asking price as its value and so anything bid over it they then feel they are overpaying. But I think agents are happy enough that does not happen and by and large people will bid it up. Plus once agent gets you in door he can then start usual dross about sellers expect it to go well over asking.

In my experience really nice houses are priced lower so you get people in and they fall in love with it and get in a bidding frenzy. With properties that are being sold on their potential then asking is often pushed higher as agent wants to tell the buyers this is what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

My colleague went sale agreed on a house two weeks ago. No contacts so was getting a bit tense. Under pressure the EA told him they were planning to have one last open viewing. 

Badly needs regulation, the fact there is no process leave the whole lot open to mass abuse.

I find it extremely interesting that there appears to be two almost completely opposite strategies for listing property and soliciting bids - 1) list below expected sales price and encourage a bidding war and 2) list above expected sales price and negotiate down from there.  Surely, only one strategy can be right - the one that results in the highest sales price.  Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The overpricing has often to do with vendors overestimating the value of their houses. Happens a lot in rural areas with lower demand. People have nice houses, they spent years in it and put a lot of pride into them. They of course don't want to hear that their house most likely won't get them as much as they thought but they want it listed for a certain price anyway. My former neighbors were like that. They usually aren't in a rush to sell.
    If a house have to be sold quickly, it's a good way to list it lower to draw interest.

In the end the vendor has the call because they hired the EA.

Advertisement