Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

84x survey

Options
  • 13-10-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭

Some of you might want to fill this questionnaire in

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BHNF9HZ

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Who is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Eponymous wrote: »
    Who is it for?

Originated from the Facebook group "84x Commuters".

https://m.facebook.com/groups/371219473300096

or

https://facebook.com/groups/371219473300096

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eponymous wrote: »
    Who is it for?

Not really sure.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are way too many stops on it.

There should be a 145x, 46x, 16x and some more at certain times.

Its crazy thinking its OK to sit on a bus for 2 hours to make end to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There are way too many stops on it.

There should be a 145x, 46x, 16x and some more at certain times.

Its crazy thinking its OK to sit on a bus for 2 hours to make end to end.

the "Busconnects" project is likely to result in more express buses and direct routes, the payoff being fewer buses going into housing estates and places off the main roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loyatemu wrote: »
    the "Busconnects" project is likely to result in more express buses and direct routes, the payoff being fewer buses going into housing estates and places off the main roads.
    There's no reason why you can't have both. People need to get away from this idea that everybody can have a direct route from their front door to their final destination.

There should be smaller, feeder buses doing the rounds of the estates dropping people off at termini where they can then catch faster express buses.

Alun wrote: »
    There's no reason why you can't have both. People need to get away from this idea that everybody can have a direct route from their front door to their final destination.

There should be smaller, feeder buses doing the rounds of the estates dropping people off at termini where they can then catch faster express buses.

if you read the Busconnects page, that is exactly what they are proposing. However given Dublin Bus' track record on reliability and punctuality, I can foresee some resistance from passengers to the idea of changing buses.

Look at the situation with the 84 since it was moved from the City Centre to Blackrock - in theory you can change in Bray onto the 145, but it can involve a lot of waiting around, particularly on the return journey and there are a lot of people who would like to see the direct 84 restored (even though it was a nightmarishly slow route and hardly anyone went the full distance).

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Badly need more southbound about 6pm, the bus nearly always goes by UCD full

adam240610 wrote: »
    Badly need more southbound about 6pm, the bus nearly always goes by UCD full

It shouldnt drop passengers off between UCD and Shankill. That would solve that.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It shouldnt drop passengers off between UCD and Shankill. That would solve that.

You can't allow passengers on at stops in that area but not off. Sadly with things like annual tickets there's no way to prevent people getting on the bus even if they don't need to be on it. I'd say the bus that starts at UCD has been put on for that reason.

Don't think there's any way to resolve the commute time issue either. That's just traffic. And with more and more people moving out to Greystones and Newtown in particular there's very little Dublin Bus can do. Reducing the number of stops won't make a huge difference as the real issues are that roundabout at the end of the SCR as well as the traffic getting onto the M11. The number of buses in the bus lanes from Foxrock onwards can also be an issue. It's the same coming home. Merging onto the M11 from the N11 is crazy and the sheer volume of traffic there is unavoidable.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    You can't allow passengers on at stops in that area but not off. Sadly with things like annual tickets there's no way to prevent people getting on the bus even if they don't need to be on it. I'd say the bus that starts at UCD has been put on for that reason.

you can have "boarding only" stops - sure people might try to get off at them, but no-one would get on at (say) UCD if they couldn't be sure the bus would stop at their stop in (say) Cabinteely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Off course you can, lots of bus companies operate limited stop services. Try boarding a 133 in the city and attempt to get off within Dublin, at best you'll get a warning from the driver not to do it again, if there is even a hint that it is being done on purpose be prepared to be carried to the next stop where someone wants to board the bus or the first drop-off stop.
    Don't think there's any way to resolve the commute time issue either. That's just traffic. And with more and more people moving out to Greystones and Newtown in particular there's very little Dublin Bus can do. Reducing the number of stops won't make a huge difference as the real issues are that roundabout at the end of the SCR as well as the traffic getting onto the M11. The number of buses in the bus lanes from Foxrock onwards can also be an issue. It's the same coming home. Merging onto the M11 from the N11 is crazy and the sheer volume of traffic there is unavoidable.

Better bus priority is needed, I'd put a bus gate on the last section of Killarney Rd towards the roundabout and route buses that way in the morning peak. M11 should have peak time bus lanes on the hard shoulders as is done on M1 between Lisburn and Belfast.

Slower stopping buses can be a pain on the N11 corridor in peaks, more stops need to be double width to allow better passing.

Fair enough then. There should be no passengers allowed on or off between ucd and shankill. It is meant to be an express route. People can use other routes like 145, 46a etc

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough then. There should be no passengers allowed on or off between ucd and shankill. It is meant to be an express route. People can use other routes like 145, 46a etc

Might actually be able to get home from college in an hour instead of two if they'd ever do that
    The new 84x from UCD is at such an awful time

Might actually be able to get home from college in an hour instead of two if they'd ever do that
    The new 84x from UCD is at such an awful time

In what way is the time too early or late?

Voice your concerns on twitter or write to them and give input on it.

The set up on some routes where extra buses are fitted in I see are useless at times as nobody gets them as the times they are sent out is when peak is over or too many buses at the one time.

In what way is the time too early or late?

Voice your concerns on twitter or write to them and give input on it.

The set up on some routes where extra buses are fitted in I see are useless at times as nobody gets them as the times they are sent out is when peak is over or too many buses at the one time.
    It leaves at 16:45

Means you have to wait 50 mins if you finish at ten to four which very few people ever do, and leaves just before people who finish at ten to five finish. Vast majority of people I know either finish at ten to six, or stay around until about six or later as is.

I tweet them every time it goes by full and submitted two suggestions on the off chance anyone cares up there

Means you have to wait 50 mins if you finish at ten to four which very few people ever do, and leaves just before people who finish at ten to five finish. Vast majority of people I know either finish at ten to six, or stay around until about six or later as is.

I tweet them every time it goes by full and submitted two suggestions on the off chance anyone cares up there

Keep at them and get others to do same. Contact student union, college itself and start contacting local tds. Get onto db, nta also

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Ive tweeted, emailed, rang, written in, got local TD's to write in and nothing. Dublin Bus definitely don't care about this route. Their response was to proudly add the 4.45pm bus which tackled nor acknowledged any of the issues I, Simon Harris or Andrew Doyle had raised.

For the sake of my sanity I gave up and just get the DART!! :D

Advertisement