Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the Port Road Student Village?

Options
  • 14-10-2017 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

It's located down past Irwin Electric & on the RHS of the Good As New Charity shop, as i was leaving in stuff there, as someone told me about it & was shocked in the state of the place, when i last saw it years ago,

Although it can be seen from coming from Currys to the County Council Offices on the Neil T Blaney Road, but i barely noticed it as it's got a lot of trees around it, but when you're up close with it, what a state it is left in :eek:

Also just seen it on <MOD SNIP>

Mod/ Please read the forum charter. We dont allow any mention of "that" in this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jesus its in rough shape. I remember going to a party there in 08/09 when my cousin lived there, there was mould everywhere. Probably didnt help that the residents treated it like a sh1tbox.

Isnt there 3-4 blocks there? Is it just one for sale? Are the rest in such bad shape?

The fact its on a flood plain as well doesnt bode well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

It's located down past Irwin Electric & on the RHS of the Good As New Charity shop, as i was leaving in stuff there, as someone told me about it & was shocked in the state of the place, when i last saw it years ago,

Although it can be seen from coming from Currys to the County Council Offices on the Neil T Blaney Road, but i barely noticed it as it's got a lot of trees around it, but when you're up close with it, what a state it is left in :eek:

Also just seen it on <MOD SNIP>

Mod/ Please read the forum charter. We dont allow any mention of "that" in this forum.

I wasn't aware of "that" site, it's been a while since i was on here, dare i ask what happened :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

retalivity wrote: »
    Jesus its in rough shape. I remember going to a party there in 08/09 when my cousin lived there, there was mould everywhere. Probably didnt help that the residents treated it like a sh1tbox.

I remember the place afaik in 2005, there were tons of people from LYIT going to check it out, it was the thing that was badly needed & ideal walking distance from college & amenities nearby too.

I was told it was around 9yrs ago, that it got run down & no doubt since it's in a secluded place that it's being vandalised.

The fact its on a flood plain as well doesnt bode well.
    Heh! When did that ever stop the council from building ;)

Isnt there 3-4 blocks there? Is it just one for sale?
    Are the rest in such bad shape?

But jees, i was speechless when i saw it, but i took a few photos, as the saying goes "a picture tells a thousand words"

As it'll go some of way of describing in what it looks like Escape From LA :o

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wasn't aware of "that" site, it's been a while since i was on here, dare i ask what happened :confused:
    No harm done. I sent you a PM about this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Letterkenny Post must be lurking. It's front page news this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

muffler wrote: »
    No harm done. I sent you a PM about this :)

Bloody curiosity is killing me now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭donegal_man

As far as I can remember from talking to students we would have had working Summer jobs there were serious problems with damp and mould. One young fella told me he'd sooner pay twice as much somewhere else than go back a second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I think they where closed because they didn't meet some fire safety regulations etc..probably couldn't insure it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I was at college when they were in use about 10 years ago and knew a couple of people who used to stay there, apparently facilities and build quality were awful from day one and fire alarms used to constantly go off at random in the middle of the night. Word quickly got around and the students union started a campaign advising people not to stay there.

Presumably they were built on the cheap by totally ignoring building regulations as seemed to be common place at the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement