Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous spot to park

Options

Comments

this is a double something or other ???? van on the cycle lane and cyclist is in the wrong lane heading the towards the camera? Might need to go to secsavers but really looks like he's coming towards the camera in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

this is a double something or other ???? van on the cycle lane and cyclist is in the wrong lane heading the towards the camera? Might need to go to secsavers but really looks like he's coming towards the camera in the wrong lane.

Van is parked in outbound lane on Cunningham road. Cyclist is also outbound and has to move out into traffic to overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I thought so too but if you zoom in the cyclist is cycling away from the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

A van parked in a legitimate parking space? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Probably stating the obvious here but that's not any van...it's a Garda Traffic Corp van!

What hope have we it law enforcement normalalise parking in Cycle lanes?

Cyclist is going away from the person that took pic, but towards the 'other' camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There are parking spaces marked out so I presume it's not a 24hr cycle track. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

There are parking spaces marked out so I presume it's not a 24hr cycle track. Nothing to see here.

Exactly. Without the context of time that the photo was taken (which incidentally looks to be about 3:30pm yesterday from the EXIF data) people are getting up in arms prematurely here. Streetview is hard to make out, but the clearway is clearer and suggests parking there is fine for the time.

Should these spaces somehow be treated as spaces of last resort because they happen to have a cycle track that likely has limited hours of operation there? If you want to complain about something, do so about the council design, not the Gardai parking in what is almost certainly a legitimate manner based on the evidence above. Would any other motorist be hoisted up for parking in a legitimate space there in the same manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Something something clickbait something something outraged something something offended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

How on earth is that dangerous? What is the matter with the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Id like to know is there a history of accidents here and at this time. What is the speed limit? Always thought the speed limit was too low on the other section of Cunningham road to chapelizod. Dont know what it is here.

Granted there are entrances here. So maybe a lower limit is needed. Otherwise this has to be the widest road in the city. So a speed can isn't that much of an issue. If someone sideswipes a cyclist here even at the speed van it would be incredulously bad driving.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Van parks in parking space shocker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Cop on(a legitimate parking spot) OP!

How so? plenty to see by the lack of parked vehicles. During the permitted parking period there are always vehicles parked here. You could just as easily say no cars = outside the permitted parking period

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from street view. if the photo was taken at 3 as suggested above, looks like parking is allowed, i think that says 18:00.

430556.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

beauf wrote: »
    Id like to know is there a history of accidents here and at this time. What is the speed limit? Always thought the speed limit was too low on the other section of Cunningham road to chapelizod. Dont know what it is here.

Granted there are entrances here. So maybe a lower limit is needed. Otherwise this has to be the widest road in the city. So a speed can isn't that much of an issue. If someone sideswipes a cyclist here even at the speed van it would be incredulously bad driving.

I got done by a speed van on that road, I was sure the limit was 60 but it's only 50 and was caught at 61 kmh.

Annoying because I was limiting my speed, just didnt see that the limit changes from 60 to 50 just after Chapelizod (heading towards town).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

from street view. if the photo was taken at 3 as suggested above, looks like parking is allowed, i think that says 18:00.

430556.jpg

Isn't that the pay times? Parking free outside those hours, not prohibited.

Maybe the lower part is the prohibited hours but it's really unclear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

TheChizler wrote: »
    it's really unclear.
    That's the whole thing about a lot of Irish cycle lanes.
    Its a cycle lane if there is nobody parked in it. But only for cycling in the other direction, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cyclist is also outbound and has to move out into traffic to overtake
    Cyclist is traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, going back to google street view, i think it's 16:00, not 18:00; there's a clearway sign which seems to read 16:00-19:00 which i neglected to include in the screenshot.

Lumen wrote: »
    Cyclist is traffic.

I think you know what the poster meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The cycle lane appears to have specific hours of operation on Conyngham Road Mon-Fri. I'm too lazy to link it but the sign can be seen on the outbound side and is located right outside the Dublin Bus garage.

EDIT: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3482357,-6.297091,3a,30y,189.86h,92.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHREPzZfP1IiH9fgrY8orXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 No point in being lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How is it possibly a dangerous spot to park if they are in a marked parking spot???
    Either a spot is dangerous to park in or it is not, hour of the day affects traffic flow, has nothing to do with 'danger zone'.

So the answer is NO.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

actually, going back to google street view, i think it's 16:00, not 18:00; there's a clearway sign which seems to read 16:00-19:00 which i neglected to include in the screenshot.

I live on Conyngham road and these vans are parked there almost every day. Usually right outside long meadow apartments.
    Cycle lane on this road is open only between 8:00-10:00 and 16:00-19:00. So no problem with the van and any other cars parked there really?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Strange thread is strange.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Garda van is likely parked there within the hours where parking is legal and thus not breaking the law.

But I love how most of you think there’s no increased risk in being out in the flow of (motoristed) traffic.

Driver in France who parked van in cycle lane guilty of cyclist's manslaughter

http://road.cc/content/news/229980-driver-france-who-parked-van-cycle-lane-guilty-cyclists-manslaughter
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    How is it possibly a dangerous spot to park if they are in a marked parking spot???
    Either a spot is dangerous to park in or it is not, hour of the day affects traffic flow, has nothing to do with 'danger zone'.

So the answer is NO.

Going by that logic... How is it possibly dangerous to cycle in a cycle track if it’s marked as a cycle track?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

monument wrote: »
    ....But I love how most of you think there’s no increased risk in being out in the flow of (motoristed) traffic....
    I generally feel safer when out in the flow of other traffic and felt even safer when there were no cycle tracks and a lot more on street/road parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I saw a van parked in the same spot this morning. Judging by this, it's a clearway until 10 am:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3483143,-6.302501,3a,15y,181.26h,91.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfEi3GI7uF8Xeltk8RtlObQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I generally feel safer when out in the flow of other traffic and felt even safer when there were no cycle tracks and a lot more on street/road parking.

Might be ok for you, and some others, but most people cycle like this man or even closer to the cars -- increasing the risk of sideswipes or dooring:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3483143,-6.302501,3a,15y,97.36h,86.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfEi3GI7uF8Xeltk8RtlObQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

monument wrote: »
    But I love how most of you think there’s no increased risk in being out in the flow of (motoristed) traffic.

FFS. Why even bother leaving the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    FFS. Why even bother leaving the house?

Totally agree with your sentiment there. For more years than I care to remember I cycled right across the city 9.5 miles each way to/from work. In all that time I had two frights.
    THe greatest inconvenience I had was the bloody weather. For some reason, the wind always seemed to do a 180 when I was going home. And that would be almost guaranteed if it was raining as well!!

If people cannot negotiate their way around parked cars, or any other obstacle, they should use the bus.

Advertisement