Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesmen rate

Options
  • 14-10-2017 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Anybody know how much carpenters are charging per hour/day rate at the moment

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where?

Seeing min 25€ per hr
    ~40€ company hr rate

In cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

130-150 minium plus vat and milage etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€150 to hang a door, frame and architrave into an existing opening.
    Dublin location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

€40 /hr would be the typical tendered rate I'm seeing in the North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

What would you expect a carpenter to do in an hour...or a day...
    - Hang # of doors - frames, hinges, locks, architraves
    - lay a floor
    - skirting on # rooms
    - # window boards
    Just curious...€40/hr is €320/day is €1600/wk...not unsubstantial.
    I know a couple of carpenters and to pay an hourly rate wouldnt be wise...so if paying an houly rate i think it'd be important to set some expectations that are realistic and agreeable to both

When you break it down its not unreasonable you have to look at the overall picture not just the man doing the work. (unless he is a one man band of course)
    Tendered rate €40.00
    Exclude holiday pay 11.54% €4.62
    Exclude time lost travelling, etc ( unbillable hrs) 10% €4.00
    Company overheads 10% €4.00
    Company PROFIT 20% €8.00

Gross Wage To Tradesman (Employee) €19.38
    Annual Gross €37,800.00

Sorry, I didn't intend to question it
    I was more curious as to what a carpenter could realistically achieve in the day/week
    the going rate is the going rate...

Sorry, I didn't intend to question it
    I was more curious as to what a carpenter could realistically achieve in the day/week
    the going rate is the going rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Your much better off to bundle a package together and agree a price for the whole lot.

I charge staff out at day rates and its like printing money. Staff drag the boll*cks out of it too because theres no incentive to complete it very quickly, whereas if you agree a fixed price, its in his best interest to do the job as quick as he can and get out on to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Quoting a few jobs at the moment,€20 per hour seems to be the rate,not many builders paying anymore than that

Where?
    Paye or contractor rate?

BryanF wrote: »
    Where?
    Paye or contractor rate?

Cork.contractor rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Cork.contractor rate

For a qualified tradesman? Not a hope. Something wrong there. unless its blackmarket rates.

Tefral wrote: »
    For a qualified tradesman? Not a hope. Something wrong there. unless its blackmarket rates.

Lads in Waterford city working €150a day before tax as sub-contractors,maybe dublin is the only place charging the big bucks

I find 20 euro an hour or 150 a day very hard to believe if it is through a contractor. they have to charge guys out higher than they are paying them.

at those rates you wouldn't even be on minimum wage

At €150 a day im guessing they are subbing to a subcontractor who is subbing off the main contractor.
    Rates
    Subbie (Man actually doing the work) - €150 per day
    Main Carpentry Sub Contractor - €250 per day
    Main Contractor to client employer €350 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

Cork €150 - €200

Was talking to one of my carpenter friends working on site doing roofing.buiider paying him 22 ph and he has a gang working with him doing roofs for 12 ph.you get more for staking shelves in lidl.no wonder so many tradesmen went into factory work where your in out of weather have holiday pay and pension.no dropping your price to bare minimum to get the job or constantly chase builders for money.the construction industry in this country is still a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Was talking to one of my carpenter friends working on site doing roofing.buiider paying him 22 ph and he has a gang working with him doing roofs for 12 ph.you get more for staking shelves in lidl.no wonder so many tradesmen went into factory work where your in out of weather have holiday pay and pension.no dropping your price to bare minimum to get the job or constantly chase builders for money.the construction industry in this country is still a shambles

I suppose what you have to determine there is
    Are the 12e/h lads employed so all their contributions are taken care of or are they sub contracting off the 22e/h lads
    If they are sub contractors and that's their gross amount before tax they should have a chat with Mr Lidl.

Then again it's a lot to do with exactly the type of work you do and the type of person you are if your happy enough to be paid from the neck down and bang out the work on a big site with just the foreman pushing you to get on with it. The lower end of the pay scale is prob justified by the lack of stress involved. On the other hand if your a working director of a one man band up to 3 or 4 employees working in the private domestic market dealing with all sorts then the 350e a day would just about make it worth
    at the end if the day it's horses for courses.

• Advertisement

trevdahead wrote: »

that's great.
    I wish you could get that rate in reality.
    it just wont happen.
    that link says that carpenters by law have to be on 18.93€ /hour
    that's as an employee.

I have a little excel workbook done that works out my day rate. it works it out so I'm getting a few days off , few sick days, bank holidays, days doing admin and training etc
    using that value I would out that I need to charge myself out at 253€ a day and that's before tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 trevdahead

that's great.
    I wish you could get that rate in reality.
    it just wont happen.
    that link says that carpenters by law have to be on 18.93€ /hour
    that's as an employee.

I have a little excel workbook done that works out my day rate. it works it out so I'm getting a few days off , few sick days, bank holidays, days doing admin and training etc
    using that value I would out that I need to charge myself out at 253€ a day and that's before tax.

Its a crazy rate but if this isnt payed to any of your employees or you get a visit from the WRC it will just be a savings scheme for your employees as the difference will have to be back payed.
    Its a nightmare for any small business

and that's not including the cost of having that employee. it probably costs about the same again in prsi , exra insurance etc

no wonder everything is so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Any updates on what sub contractors getting in todays climate?i know a few lads starting to charge between €25-€27 an hour for their carpentry services around the south east here

Advertisement