Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn posseting

Options
  • 14-10-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm breastfeeding my 1 month old. She feeds v well . There's prob nothing I can do but this gets frustrating. Little one feeds, invariably falls asleep at some stage during feed. I do the whole strip down/ change nappy etc to keep her alert on boob. Could take an age to get wind up or may not get any as she's in deep sleep when burping her. I've been giving more and more time to burping in the hope that she will burp before I put her back down but 4/5 times she will spew on herself shortly after I lie her back in crib, she's back awake and unsettled and/ or has spewed enough to need clothes stripped and then definitely awake and it can be hard to get her back to sleep. I find it so frustrating, especially during the graveyard shift.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Burping is the bane of my existence with newborns.I'm sorry, I can't offer much advice since I had similar problems with my pair,all I could do was keep telling myself it would improve with time (and curse the rubbish interior design that results in wind being such a huge thing for them!!!).
    You could try infacol or something before each feed, it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

One of mine did this incessantly: there didn't seem to be anything wrong except spitting up such a constant mess. He brought up so much and so often that I'm amazed he swallowed enough to grow on, but he somehow did.
    Everything in the house was spattered as if by seagulls. The child thrived. He was fully breastfed and had no feeding difficulty of any kind, just the "glooping"
    Someone told me that kids who do this have a very happy disposition: an old wives tale I'm sure, but he IS the cheeriest and charmingest of the whole bunch!
    Anyway, it was a small consolation.
    Grew out of it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

shesty wrote: »
    Burping is the bane of my existence with newborns.I'm sorry, I can't offer much advice since I had similar problems with my pair,all I could do was keep telling myself it would improve with time (and curse the rubbish interior design that results in wind being such a huge thing for them!!!).
    You could try infacol or something before each feed, it might help.

Will consider infacol thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I won't pretend it's a magic solution but it might bring the wind up easier!Only other suggestion might be to wind her between switching sides.Little and often so to speak.

My second was particularly like this....never a thing wrong with her (and at 18 months now, LOVES her food).My first had silent reflux and never spat like this and my mum (who had four kids) couldn't believe she never puked!So it's normal anyway, but it's not much consolation when you're changing them and you for the fourth time in a day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I tilted the cot up very slightly to help with this. Try a book under the legs on the head end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

shesty wrote: »
    I won't pretend it's a magic solution but it might bring the wind up easier!Only other suggestion might be to wind her between switching sides.Little and often so to speak.

My second was particularly like this....never a thing wrong with her (and at 18 months now, LOVES her food).My first had silent reflux and never spat like this and my mum (who had four kids) couldn't believe she never puked!So it's normal anyway, but it's not much consolation when you're changing them and you for the fourth time in a day!!!

I wind her frequently during feeds and sometimes can't get any wind up. I bought infacol today. Will see how it goes. I did learn since that little ones occasional fussiness st boob is also wind related so there's s lot of energy going into burping !!

Advertisement