Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So this Hurricane

• 14-10-2017 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Seems we a hurricane bearing down on us for Monday. Over in the weather forum they are talking flashlights, taping up windows and AA batteries.

Should i be digging a bunker in my back garden or just taking in my patio furniture and more importantly my wife is getting her hair cut today shall i tell her it's a waste of time as her hair do will be ruined come Monday.

God speed Ireland.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Bottle of whiskey a torch and a shotgun and il ride it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Seems we a hurricane bearing down on us for Monday. Over in the weather forum they are talking flashlights, taping up windows and AA batteries.

Should i be digging a bunker in my back garden or just taking in my patio furniture and more importantly my wife is getting her hair cut today shall i tell her it's a waste of time as her hair do will be ruined come Monday.

God speed Ireland.:(

I'm getting two hatches installed in my house as I type this.

Just so I can batten them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Distant thunder rumble,
    Rumble hungry like the Beast,
    The Beast it cometh, cometh down,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There may be flight cancellations and diversions. Ferries could also be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I've been playing gazebo roulette for a while now. I think it's time to call it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

A storm in a teacup. The media hype these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm buying a kite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's hyped up. It's a hurricane now but by Monday it'll be calmed down to.typical Autumn storm level.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

T'was 30 years ago this weekend that this occurred:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Overblown story if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    more importantly my wife is getting her hair cut today shall i tell her it's a waste of time as her hair do will be ruined come Monday.

Don't make any uneccesary hair appointments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I miss Bill Paxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It will be a post tropical cyclone by the time it reaches us on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

The expertise on this thread is useful. Thanks. The meteorologists had me slightly worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Don't make any uneccesary hair appointments

Is that you Theresa Mannion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The expertise on this thread is useful. Thanks. The meteorologists had me slightly worried.

:pac:

I think we just need that mash up of the Galway Girl and the big blow from a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

apparently she's heading out to the hurricane on a rib as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

A bit of wind and lots of rain that's all we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

AllForIt wrote: »
    Overblown story if you ask me.

Overblown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

billyhead wrote: »
    A storm in a teacup. The media hype these things

Instead its gonna be

• Advertisement

jonon9 wrote: »
    A bit of wind and lots of rain that's all we get.

Thanks for the expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It looks like it’s fizzling out and becoming a bit of a autumn Atlantic storm and not much more than that.
    It still has potential to be nasty enough and I would suggest removing loose stuff around your house, but it's no longer looking likely to be a hurricane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

1db17f3e4abfcb3c09fd6e9d96e6e6ed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

There'll be a lot of disappointed people on the Weather forum if it turns out to be a damp squid. They're always putting these weather 'events' on a great big pedal stool. I expect some of them are trying to persuade their parents to panic-buy essential items and board the windows up, in anticipation of what will doubtless be remembered for many years as "The Great Blustery Day of 2017".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

flaneur wrote:
    I would suggest removing loose stuff around your house,.

Ach, we've been together too long now for that.

Thanks for the expertise.

More again at 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Ach, we've been together too long now for that.

You potentially might not be after Monday though. It could have left you and shacked up in a neighbour's

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

RayM wrote: »
    There'll be a lot of disappointed people on the Weather forum if it turns out to be a damp squid. They're always putting these weather 'events' on a great big pedal stool. I expect some of them are trying to persuade their parents to panic-buy essential items and board the windows up, in anticipation of what will doubtless be remembered for many years as "The Great Blustery Day of 2017".

Everyone has their blind spots. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Will it be as bad as storm Darwin on 12 Feb 2014?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's hyped up. It's a hurricane now but by Monday it'll be calmed down to.typical Autumn storm level.

Check out the damage Hurricane Debbie did to Ireland in the ‘60s despite being more of a tropical storm at that point. Depending on if it makes landfall in Ireland, it can still do a lot of damage. There are a lot of variables really. Just because it might peter out doesn’t mean that the media was wrong to warn prople.

Red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Red warning.

BlandDopeyDrake-max-1mb.gif

Will it be as bad as storm Darwin on 12 Feb 2014?

Current indications are that it could be worse.

And, as always with these events, some parts of the country will be hit harder than others.

Best advice:

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Red warning.

First thing that came to mind...

jprboy wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a tough decision...

I may do the shopping today so while it's dry and sunny!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Bloomin' communists on the way again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

15%increase in strength reported on the weather forum.

Glad people in AH know better than the experts.

• Advertisement

:confused:

P
    E
    D
    E
    S
    T
    A
    L

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Maybe it will be a damp squib, but given where I live, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I'll be grand looking a bit foolish if it's a not-much, but all the indications suggest it will be major enough. At least, a hefty windstorm will be here on Monday. We're not looking at Carribbean-style destruction, but structural damage is possible, as are major power cuts and damage to water supplies, depending where you live.

Samaris wrote: »
    Maybe it will be a damp squid, but given where I live, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I'll be grand looking a bit foolish if it's a not-much, but all the indications suggest it will be major enough. At least, a hefty windstorm will be here on Monday. We're not looking at Carribbean-style destruction, but structural damage is possible, as are major power cuts and damage to water supplies, depending where you live.

Squib.

Since ME have in fact issued a strong warning, particularly the west coast, nobody is going to look foolish.

P
    E
    D
    E
    S
    T
    A
    L

;)

Actually, I think you'll find it's pedal stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Samaris wrote: »
    Maybe it will be a damp squib, but given where I live, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Squib.

I didn't edit my post, so I don't know how that happened!

Mind you, I don't want a damp squid landing on the house either, it would be very difficult to get it out of the guttering :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Actually, I think you'll find it's pedal stool.

Actually, I think you'll find it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I want organisational looting on Monday afternoon folks, only take what you can carry or fit in the boot of your car. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement