Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So this Hurricane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

185kph going by that TV3 weather fella. This has gone from scary to very ****ing scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not really. Most of the news yesterday was talking about the school buses being cancelled. Apparently the emergency group are meeting today. Seems like a "ah shur it'll be grand" approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

Who are the emergency group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is it hitting the whole country, or just the South?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A red warning means not going out unless absolutely necessary (ie something urgent, not work or school).
    We get red warnings here in the south of France occasionally for flooding, schools are closed, you don't go to work unless you are in the emergency services etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Never mind AA batteries and flashlights it's paper towels and moisturizer the shops will be running out of if the lads from the weather forum keep this up.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Is it hitting the whole country, or just the South?

The whole country but coastal areas in the south and west worst affected. The storm itself is bigger than the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is a status red into 'stock up on tinned soup and don't leave the house' territory, or does it mean just don't go climbing trees or taking a dinghy out?

It's a 'don't fill up the fridge freezer in case there are power cuts'

A red warning means not going out unless absolutely necessary (ie something urgent, not work or school).
    We get red warnings here in the south of France occasionally for flooding, schools are closed, you don't go to work unless you are in the emergency services etc.

So, no one is going to work tomorrow?

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Never mind AA batteries and flashlights it's paper towels and moisturizer the shops will be running out of if the lads from the weather forum keep this up.

They are absolutely beside themselves with excitement over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Karangue wrote: »
    The windmills that have destroyed the countryside will get to produce some power for a few hours so that’s good.

Go away you old fossil. They're majestic, we need more of them

tigger123 wrote: »
    So, no one is going to work tomorrow?

Red warning is for Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Everyone I know is still very reluctant to miss work just in case it turns out to be nothing. I think we're all in denial and just can't believe it could be so strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'm supposed to be up a ladder cutting Hedges all day tomorrow. I think that's going to be exciting.

Most people I've spoken to think this is going to be nothing. Bit of wind and rain. The fact it's still a cat 3 hurricane and only 24 hours away doesn't seem to be getting through to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Everyone I know is still very reluctant to miss work just in case it turns out to be nothing. I think we're all in denial and just can't believe it could be so strong.
    I just remember back in 2014, one of the first times there was a red warning issued here for flooding, no school or workplace had any real plan in place. The emergency services were run off their feet because instead of keeping kids at school or in creches (which is policy now when a red warning is issued in the middle of the day), schools and creches called parents to collect their kids - and so loads of people came out in cars to collect their children: more cars on the road = more accidents = more work for emergency services, and on top of that cars were abandoned in the middle of roads so harder for people to get through.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be up a ladder cutting Hedges all day tomorrow. I think that's going to be exciting.

God speed, good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

A drop of rain and a few gusts of wind. Calm down.

185kph going by that TV3 weather fella. This has gone from scary to very ****ing scary

The TV3 weather guy must be an idiot. Be lucky to see gusts of 110kph

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They are absolutely beside themselves with excitement over there.

Bless em. Getting all wound up and excited over possible widespread destruction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

over a thousand active users on the weather forum at this hour of the day > incredible!

No 185kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

From the NHC in Miami
    WIND: Gale-force winds are expected to begin across southern
    Ireland by early Monday morning and gradually spread northward
    across the country during the day. Hurricane-force winds are
    expected to reach the southern portions of Ireland by Monday
    afternoon and spread inland across the country into Monday night.
    Preparations to protect lives and property should be rushed to
    completion by this afternoon.

Wind speeds atop and on the windward sides of hills and mountains
    are often up to 30 percent stronger than the near-surface winds
    indicated in this advisory, and in some elevated locations could be
    even greater.

RAINFALL: Ophelia is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 2 to
    3 inches (50 mm to 75 mm) with isolated totals near 4 inches (100
    mm) through Tuesday across western Ireland and Scotland. Across
    eastern Ireland, rainfall amounts will average around 1 inch (25 mm)
    or less.

STORM SURGE: A dangerous storm surge is expected to produce
    significant coastal flooding near and to the east of where the
    center makes landfall. Near the coast, the surge will be
    accompanied by large and destructive waves.

ME have not updated there RED/ORANGE warnings since yesterday lunchtime which feels lazy. I'd regard the entire
    country from Arklow along the south and west coasts to Malin Head as being in the RED firing line and then inland for about 80 Km at least.

From the NHC in Miami

A bit of wind and rain obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Fcuk met eireann. All week they were saying 'it'll be lovely at the weekend; 20 degrees'. They only seem to be accurate when they predict bad weather. I'd sooner listen to a horoscope.

Am I the only one who feels like he’s on the Mole looking up at the sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

backspin. wrote: »
    A drop of rain and a few gusts of wind. Calm down.

Your expertise on this is welcome. That’s for the detailed analysis and charts.

From the NHC in Miami

ME have not updated there RED/ORANGE warnings since yesterday lunchtime which feels lazy. I'd regard the entire
    country from Arklow along the south and west coasts to Malin Head as being in the RED firing line and then inland for about 80 Km at least.

Probably before midday today.

• Advertisement

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Bless em. Getting all wound up and excited over possible widespread destruction :D

By and large it is a knowledgeable thread for those who want to avoid personal destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

"Met Éireann has confirmed that Ophelia is the most powerful hurricane to have ever been this far east in the Atlantic on record."

Surely that means we are in uncharted territory :eek:

Personally I'll be parking the cars away from houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted. I would be wary though after the last time they called a red warning on us and cancelled all the schools there was barely a puff of a breeze here .

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted. I would be wary though after the last time they called a red warning on us and cancelled all there schools there was barely a puff of a breeze here .

If that was Darwin - it was very destructive.

If that was Darwin - it was very destructive.

Indeed Darwin was very destructive. The red warning I'm referring to was a year later if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Most people I've spoken to think this is going to be nothing. Bit of wind and rain. The fact it's still a cat 3 hurricane and only 24 hours away doesn't seem to be getting through to people.

It is concerning. I've been following MT's thread since the beginning, keeping a mindful eye on it. With thanks to him and the other knowledgeable posters posting charts and forecasts I've been able to warn people that Monday isn't exactly going to be just a day for great drying. Most took the advice with a thanks for the heads up attitude, others I got the 'sure it'll be grand' one, what else can you say.

It's currently a Cat 3 hurricane which is expected to turn ex-tropical storm. Make no mistake about it, hurricane force winds are on the way.

It's worth keeping an eye on the weather forum for those interested in protecting their property and themselves, and preparing for power outages. For those too cool for skool and busy playing the whole thing down, turn your damn trampolines upside down and put your bins and other loose shít in the garden away.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted. I would be wary though after the last time they called a red warning on us and cancelled all the schools there was barely a puff of a breeze here .

Wouldn't you agree that it's better to be safe than sorry? Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Estrellita wrote: »
    Wouldn't you agree that it's better to be safe than sorry? Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Certainly to a degree . But closing schools and shutting down public transport for no reason should not be tolerated either. Like I said , hope it's not as bad as predicted .

I aint no freaking weather expert and im totally at other end

I also hate doom and gloom merchants in general

I have been in Hurricane once in Florida and it aint pretty.

I hope I am wrong tomorrow but people thinking this will be Grand might be in for one hell of a shock

Surely Shops and Business and Work places must be close tomorrow to be safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I'd say the insurance companies are all presently sh!tting collective bricks right now.

well this is the dilemma ME face, if they cry wolf too often no one will take them seriously...they really have to be bang on with this one esp considering all the fore-warnings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

trixiebust wrote: »
    I'd say the insurance companies are all presently sh!tting collective bricks right now.

Not really. Just another reason to jack up the prices on you.

The mud hadn't stopped flowing in Donegal and Derry last month and they were straight outta the traps justifying their impending increases.

Certainly to a degree . But closing schools and shutting down public transport for no reason should not be tolerated either. Like I said , hope it's not as bad as predicted .

It should be tolerated. Precisely because it could save lives. Your attitude may endanger people.

Yes met eireann will get some red warnings wrong but the precautionary principle applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Divelment.com

Watch the roofs come off all the shoddy Celtic Tiger builds!

It should be tolerated. Precisely because it could save lives. Your attitude may endanger people.

Yes met eireann will get some red warnings wrong but the precautionary principle applies.

For me if they get big calls wrong a couple of times. It should call for heads to roll. It would in any other job. I am also counting under playing storms as much as over blowing them BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Watch the roofs come off all the shoddy Celtic Tiger builds!

That's what I'm in. The thing is timber framed too. I've been saying for years now poorly this house was built. Maybe I'm about to find out?!!

But closing schools and shutting down public transport for no reason should not be tolerated either. .

I wouldn't call this no reason. The alternative is not warning people and the country is badly hit. The whole point of warning people is to allow them to prepare and keep themselves safe. People that refuse to take precautions or heed the possibility of a bad weather event inevitably end up putting themselves at risk or being a burden to emergency services.

If schools etc weren't closed down and this caused chaos you'd be the very one wondering why you weren't warned before you sent your children off to school.

I wouldn't treat this as 'the boy cried wolf' scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

All this storm is going to do is Guarantee Theresa Mansion another few years in the limelight!

Surely theres at least 3/4 more Late Late Show appearances out of this if they play it right!

more to the point ;)

For me if they get big calls wrong a couple of times. It should call for heads to roll. It would in any other job. I am also counting under playing storms as much as over blowing them BTW.

No. They are giving the scientific consensus. The job wouldn’t be attractive if everybody is guaranteed to get fired. Since this is a non exact science based on your criteria, they will get fired.

You are part of the problem. Met.ie once got a red warning wrong in your parish and you want them fired. It’s attitudes mike that that makes them timid enough in releasing warnings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement