Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So this Hurricane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

_Dara_ wrote: »
    No, the categories of hurricane relate to wind speed. If there are sustained category 2 wind speeds, it’s a category 2 hurricane. The state of the eye is probably linked to the speed of the wind.

Have aread of this, it will explain the differences between a tropical storm/hurricane and a extratropical storm: https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/blast-from-the-past-hurricane-debbie-1961/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did anyone just see the weather forecast on RTÉ 1?

I know the storm is coming, just talk about amateur hour!!!

She was all over the place

I thought just the opposite. It was the clearest and most succinct detail to date. She was factual and precise. I don't like her style of delivery usually but today was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

so do I actually need to care about this if I'm living in central Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

511 wrote: »
    Have aread of this, it will explain the differences between a tropical storm/hurricane and a extratropical storm: https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/blast-from-the-past-hurricane-debbie-1961/

Oh, I've read all about Debbie. The sustained wind speeds for that storm fell a good bit below those for even the lowest category hurricane. Still caused a lot of damage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

MrMorooka wrote: »
    so do I actually need to care about this if I'm living in central Dublin?

In comparison to air pollution, crime and the probability that your children will need to move out of the area they were born in to buy a house... then no. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

M50 should be fun tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Ophelia. Such a ponsy Celtic tiger name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Limerick has been added to the Red warning region.

Edit: Well, it's the Americans that named it, so I don't think they were overly-influenced by the Celtic Tiger! (Because of where she formed, we keep the American names for this sort of storm)

Edit to previous edit: Limerick unclear at the moment. Information really isn't getting out very clearly. It likely will end up red, but it's taking a while for all sources to agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Wesser wrote: »

The ignorance. It's Shakespearean.

It long predates the Celtic tiger era. Shakespeare has a character in Hamlet who refers to Ophelia as "howling in hell". So, possibly an apt name for a hurricane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Will it affect the East coast?

MET.IE UPDATE:

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

LordSutch wrote: »

Most reports suggest the North East (Louth) getting a hammering and it's included in the Orange warning zone the BBC are showing for Northern Ireland. Someone on the Weather Forum here posted a link to a projection showing Wicklow and Dublin being hit hard but I haven't seen anything about that from the Met offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I know who Ophelia is!!!

I know who Ophelia is!!!

Hooray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I know who Ophelia is!!!

Genius of the week here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

LordSutch wrote: »

Yes, Waterford in particular, but the europeans (meteoalarm.eu) have status RED on ALL coasts including the entire Irish Sea (East Coast).

The UK have upgraded NI to Amber this morning as was only yellow Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Samaris wrote: »
    MET.IE UPDATE:

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

F*cking Klingons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Most reports suggest the North East (Louth) getting a hammering and it's included in the Orange warning zone the BBC are showing for Northern Ireland. Someone on the Weather Forum here posted a link to a projection showing Wicklow and Dublin being hit hard but I haven't seen anything about that from the Met offices.

That's only a rough outline, and they can't really include ROI in any of their warnings, meteoalarm.eu have all Irish Sea coasts as RED.

I'd expect to see multiple overturned trucks along the M1 1400-1800hrs Mon, many locations are very very exposed along the 100km stretch between the Airport and Newry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

MET.IE UPDATE: STATUS RED

Wrong. That should read

STATUS RED
    (we're all going to die)

maxresdefault.jpg

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Wrong. That should read

STATUS RED
    (we're all going to die)

lol! I'll be sure to remember next time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Wrong. That should read

STATUS RED
    (we're all going to die)

A hurricane AND Russians?

We do have exciting times ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Is there a chance the track could bend?

It's not set in stone so to speak. It could shift slightly west or (seemingly more likely at the moment) east, with consequent harder impacts east of the eye.

Models are getting pretty close to aligning with each other, but there's not a great deal of past data to rely on for something like this on this side of the Atlantic, so while Ireland is pretty sure in some capacity, it could still sweep a fair brunt of it against the western coast of the UK, up the Irish sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Not a chance my Hindu friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Is there a time scale on when it should hit and when it should disapate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I heard those things are awfully loud

Crea wrote: »
    Is there a time scale on when it should hit and when it should disapate?

Varying depending on where you are, but roughly 8AM to 8PMish seems to be the current info. Err earlier for south and later for northeast. Peaking generally over the late afternoon/early evening, but dangerous conditions all day (again, depending where you are).

You know what you get for being a hero? Nothin'. You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah, blah, blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Your kids don't want to talk to you. You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me, kid, nobody wants to be that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Karangue wrote: »
    It’s some weather for riding.

Riders on the Storm,... dum de dum dum dum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Into the house we're blown ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

branie2 wrote: »
    I heard those things are awfully loud

It glides as softly as a cloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oh feel ya.

Can you feel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

It's not set in stone so to speak. It could shift slightly west or (seemingly more likely at the moment) east, with consequent harder impacts east of the eye.

Models are getting pretty close to aligning with each other, but there's not a great deal of past data to rely on for something like this on this side of the Atlantic, so while Ireland is pretty sure in some capacity, it could still sweep a fair brunt of it against the western coast of the UK, up the Irish sea.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response, Samaris, but I'm afraid my comment was a lame 'Simpsons' reference :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Who'll lose the electricity?

So I went door to door selling hurricane insurance for the last few hours do I have to honour such policies or can I spend the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

A red warning means not going out unless absolutely necessary (ie something urgent, not work or school).
    We get red warnings here in the south of France occasionally for flooding, schools are closed, you don't go to work unless you are in the emergency services etc.
    so are employers going to let most of the south of Ireland not come to work tmw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Any ideas whether 5.30am train from galway to Dublin will run in the morning ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Blanco100 wrote: »

Nope She will fly

Keep an eye on irish rail site for service updates I think their twitter account is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

In cork myself.

My office is closed tommarow.

Just on bus to go get my laptop. I live on the other side of the city away from it. The joys of buying a house on the north side ha.

Could have worked from a v desk on my mac but my lu k won t work ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In Cork too and our office is open tomorrow and people are expected in work.

Blanco100 wrote: »

I wouldn't pay for a return ticket.

death.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In Cork too and our office is open tomorrow and people are expected in work.

Ha bet I know the losers you work for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is anyone going down to the Cork/Kerry coast at about 2am when the eye of the storm is expected to hit landfall to shoot at it?

And if guns aren’t your thing, I think another group could be formed to go and meet it head on and masturbate furiously towards it.

Either way, that mutha-fluckin storm will be shot at! One way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Id rather take my chances with the strom, than live in the north side of cork ��

The undersea southside shopping centre... I like it!

You can't take a day off school into the grave with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

RayM wrote: »
    There'll be a lot of disappointed people on the Weather forum if it turns out to be a damp squid. They're always putting these weather 'events' on a great big pedal stool. I expect some of them are trying to persuade their parents to panic-buy essential items and board the windows up, in anticipation of what will doubtless be remembered for many years as "The Great Blustery Day of 2017".

Pedestal

Advertisement