Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2017

Options
  • 14-10-2017 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Well if Padraig Conneeley has his way then no beer tent or ferris wheel will be be part of the market this year. What do you all think?
    A city councillor has demanded that the Council exclude the ‘bier keller’ and giant Ferris wheel from this year’s Galway Continental Christmas Market.

In his submission on an application from Milestone Inventive for an event licence, Cllr Padraig Conneely said he strongly objected to the inclusion of a beer tent on a public space as it was at odds with the city’s participation in the World Health Organisation’s European Healthy Cities Network of which Galway had been a member since 2006.

Of the Ferris Wheel, he said there is no need for a ‘Blackpool effect’ for Galway’s Christmas market.

http://connachttribune.ie/calls-ban-beer-tent-ferris-wheel-christmas-market-200/

I'm not a huge fan of the market but don't have much against the beer tent. Just because there's other pubs around that doesn't mean you shouldn't have one more temporary one... The WHO stuff sounds like bull and I imagine it's more about benefitting local vinters...

As for the ferris wheel, I thought it looked ridiculous last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The beer tent is the only reason I visited the market last year.

biko wrote: »
    The beer tent is the only reason I visited the market last year.

It's the only reason most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

c_man wrote: »
    Well if Padraig Conneeley has his way then no beer tent or ferris wheel will be be part of the market this year. What do you all think?

http://connachttribune.ie/calls-ban-beer-tent-ferris-wheel-christmas-market-200/

I'm not a huge fan of the market but don't have much against the beer tent. Just because there's other pubs around that doesn't mean you shouldn't have one more temporary one... The WHO stuff sounds like bull and I imagine it's more about benefitting local vinters...

As for the ferris wheel, I thought it looked ridiculous last year.

I didn't think it looked that bad ....
    galway-christmas-market-2016.jpg?w=920&h=474&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I could just about understand his objection re the beer tent. But why has he taken against the big wheel? I thought it looked lovely and definitely attracted people to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He didn't mention the grass at all did he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Arghus wrote: »
    He didn't mention the grass at all did he?

I'm sure one of our resident boards connellys will be on shortly to say something and point a finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

D Trent wrote: »
    I didn't think it looked that bad ....

It's more that it was across the square imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

c_man wrote: »
    It's more that it was across the square imo.

Are you the disgruntled customer who last year said having the big wheel across the square from the rest of the market was akin to playing one half of a hurling game at Pearse Stadium and the other half in Tuam? :D

Can't say I've ever heard that comparison!

Edi: and hurling in Tuam stadium?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

just another of the self serving gob****es who somehow 'represent us'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

just another of the self serving gob****es who somehow 'represent us'

We keep electing him.

Personally I always rank all candidates, just so I can put him at the very bottom of the list. But clearly other citizens disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Patrick C.....??? The Grinch that stolen Christmas..... ha ha ... Ignore that taepot.

The worst thing about this nonsense suggestion is that he is some man for the beer himself.

You know what, I sort of agree with him. The ferris wheel can look like a bit of an eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

The worst thing about this nonsense suggestion is that he is some man for the beer himself.

True that met him at a 21st a few years ago out in the Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Galway Continental Christmas Market is expected to make a return to the City Of The Tribes from 6pm on Friday 17th November until Friday 22nd December 2017.

Market Opening Hours
    Monday - Wednesday: 12 noon - 8pm
    Thursday - Sunday: 10am - 10pm
    SRC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Great, that link seems to confirm the beer tent will return. However, no mention of corn dogs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Great, that link seems to confirm the beer tent will return. However, no mention of corn dogs. :(

corn dags will be back according to the man himself on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Why does it end 3 days before Christmas?
    I don't understand... Is it something to do with trading laws or what, just seems odd not to have it open on the Saturday at the very least?
    I'm actually flying home on the 23rd and would have liked to have a ramble around it over the festive period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

so they can go home and spend christmas with their families and not us degenerates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The big wheel looks great. I was on it twice with my kids last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

empacher wrote: »
    so they can go home and spend christmas with their families and not us degenerates.

That's just plain (s)elfish :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I’ve seen this reply before and it’s a baloney one. Do you not think that being involved in the Christmas trade is going to mean sacrifices around Christmas? Surely this is obvious and an expectation of being in this trade. I’m sure the trade stand owners would prefer an extra day as they are missing out on all the people who come home for Christmas / meet up in the city. Plenty of normal people work right up to the afternoon of Christmas Eve so surely it’s hardly too much to ask for a CHRISTMAS MARKET to go at least until the 23rd..

I’ve family from abroad who come home every year but have never been to the Christmas market because of the stupid early close date.

It’s like a priest closing up on easter Sunday so he can spend time with relatives / a pub closing early for a match so a barman can go home and watch the match with their family / a farmer working late in the summer. It comes with the profession, if you don’t like it change profession!

It's not the case with other Christmas markets I've been to, always assumed it was some local law which specified it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

endabob1 wrote: »
    Why does it end 3 days before Christmas?
    I don't understand... Is it something to do with trading laws or what, just seems odd not to have it open on the Saturday at the very least?
    I'm actually flying home on the 23rd and would have liked to have a ramble around it over the festive period

I think it is something to do with an agreement a few years ago with the St Nicholas market traders. They were worried the Xmas market would take all their customers when it was first proposed. As a compromise, the Xmas market finishes early to allow st Nicholas to have the last minute Christmas shopping trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I’ve seen this reply before and it’s a baloney one. Do you not think that being involved in the Christmas trade is going to mean sacrifices around Christmas? Surely this is obvious and an expectation of being in this trade. I’m sure the trade stand owners would prefer an extra day as they are missing out on all the people who come home for Christmas / meet up in the city. Plenty of normal people work right up to the afternoon of Christmas Eve so surely it’s hardly too much to ask for a CHRISTMAS MARKET to go at least until the 23rd..

I’ve family from abroad who come home every year but have never been to the Christmas market because of the stupid early close date.

It’s like a priest closing up on easter Sunday so he can spend time with relatives / a pub closing early for a match so a barman can go home and watch the match with their family / a farmer working late in the summer. It comes with the profession, if you don’t like it change profession!

Rather than demanding traders adjust to your schedule how about your relatives come home earlier?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

pjohnson wrote: »
    Rather than demanding traders adjust to your schedule how about your relatives come home earlier?

Who is demanding anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Every time I got into a taxi in Galway last Christmas, the taxi drivers gave out stink about the wheel blocking up the rank there! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. The taxi drivers met about this last night, according to the sign I just saw.

431026.PNG

I'd guess that Cllr Conneelly knows that the only way to keep the market off the grass and the taxi rank open is to lose either the beer tent or the ferris wheel, so has launched an attack on both knowing he'll be 50% right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I noticed that the corn dog stand is gone as well

Advertisement