Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

branie2 wrote: »
    I noticed that the corn dog stand is gone as well

See post #19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's coming back, great! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Butterface wrote: »
    Every time I got into a taxi in Galway last Christmas, the taxi drivers gave out stink about the wheel blocking up the rank there! :rolleyes:

And taxi's are clogging the streets! Too many of them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Taxis have reached a compromise with the council. Forster Street is going to be an official rank for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What?? Where are goiong to fit a taxi rank on forster street? The bus lane?

• Advertisement

Must be. Shur it's an unofficial rank anyway unless things have changed recently.

Beer tent is useless anyway. Overpriced white beer in a cold, bright shed. Lovely.

The one that was down the Arch was much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Many huts now in place. Looks like layout will be the same as last year.

But how will it affect the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

But how will it affect the grass?

Your dealer should still have his regular supply, but you still won't be able to smoke it in the tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

I agree completely. On the continent, not only do many Christmas Markets
    run "up to" Christmas, they run well past 25th. December, on to "little
    Christmas" in January. IMHO, our market does not need to start in
    November - start it in early December, and run until early January!
    I’ve seen this reply before and it’s a baloney one. Do you not think that being involved in the Christmas trade is going to mean sacrifices around Christmas? Surely this is obvious and an expectation of being in this trade. I’m sure the trade stand owners would prefer an extra day as they are missing out on all the people who come home for Christmas / meet up in the city. Plenty of normal people work right up to the afternoon of Christmas Eve so surely it’s hardly too much to ask for a CHRISTMAS MARKET to go at least until the 23rd..

I’ve family from abroad who come home every year but have never been to the Christmas market because of the stupid early close date.

It’s like a priest closing up on easter Sunday so he can spend time with relatives / a pub closing early for a match so a barman can go home and watch the match with their family / a farmer working late in the summer. It comes with the profession, if you don’t like it change profession!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

Does anyone know who is running the beer tent (in years gone by it was I think Hotel Meyrick - but I heard that the Roisin Dubh was in charge of it now - anyone know if that is right)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I agree completely. On the continent, not only do many Christmas Markets
    run "up to" Christmas, they run well past 25th. December, on to "little
    Christmas" in January. IMHO, our market does not need to start in
    November - start it in early December, and run until early January!

Whilst it would be nice to have the market run until Christmas eve, of the 10 major christmas markets in germany more than half close before christmas and maybe one runs into the new year. Its therefore not outside the norm for the Galway market to close before christmas

Does anyone know who is running the beer tent (in years gone by it was I think Hotel Meyrick - but I heard that the Roisin Dubh was in charge of it now - anyone know if that is right)?

Massimos were running it last year, or at least the same owner is involved in running it.
    It's the same group who runs the Clan Bar in the Sportsground at Connacht matches. Any pop up bar that exists within Galway seems to be run by this group

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is a group of guys who own The Blue Note, Massimos and The Roisin Dubh along with a bunch of other pubs around the country. Maybe it's them who've been running it most years?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Meyrick had it when it was on the grass beside them. Not last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I think I saw the Róisín advertising for bar staff for the beer tent a few weeks ago.

All change next year. The City Council are taking over the running of it themselves. Source: City Tribune.

*gets popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

All change next year. The City Council are taking over the running of it themselves. Source: City Tribune.

*gets popcorn*

Ah well, twas good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

xtradel wrote: »
    Ah well, twas good while it lasted.

Twas good till the grass got priority and less stall owners came.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

*gets popcorn*

The market will operate between 9 and 5 on weekdays only, close for lunch from 1-2. Stall-holders may avail of flexi-time, so individual stalls may not be open for the full hours - this will be advised by paper notes affixed to the front of the stalls.

Only food items which are low in fat, sugar, salt will be allowed, and food-stalls may make up only 2% or less of the total.

The market will be located in The Plots, because it won't get in anyone's way there.

How's that for version one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its the end of the Market you are going to lose the brilliant Christmas feeling that you get in Eyre Square, plus the loss of all the lights. If anyone thinks the Council are capable of running it just look at what they do to our City.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

*gets popcorn*

I'm sure under the dead hand of the council next years market is gonna be the bestest thing ever!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Fair play to the council. The fact that they are allocating more money to it shows they are looking at the bigger picture and it’s not just about how much they can save, more about making it better and attracting more people.

As the article states, councils directly run the markets in other cities including cork and Belfast so if anything they are aligning with standard practice.

I also heard the company currently running it are not the most professional crowd to interact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

belfast market is what they need to replicate, the quality of the stalls and choice - not just food and alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

Not a great selection of Xmas market stalls. What do tat like crystals have to do with anything anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not a great selection of Xmas market stalls. What do tat like crystals have to do with anything anyway

The crystals let you see into the future so you can see how the 2018 Christmas market will be when the City Council are running it ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

The crystals let you see into the future so you can see how the 2018 Christmas market will be when the City Council are running it ;)

I reckon looking into the past, would be just as useful, the distant past.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The wonders of marketing.

Advertisement