Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm kinda bored of the beer tent at this stage, its been the same thing for years. The novelty has worn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm kinda bored of the beer tent at this stage, its been the same thing for years. The novelty has worn off.

Bring back the one that was down the Sprach a few years ago, that one was great!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

The wonders of marketing.

A merry and joyous Christmas to you.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Did someone say corndogs were in the market this year?. Any confirmation or directions I'd be grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Did someone say corndogs were in the market this year?. Any confirmation or directions I'd be grateful for.

Opposite the Skeff.

• Advertisement

I love Corndog guy. For a stand that says "cranky" on it, he's such a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

12secs of market.
    its a pale refection of itself and it tired and worn out.
    folks wont spend 5€ on a hot dog and a schhtein anymore.
    even the big wheel is iffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

So myself and my wife are heading down to Galway for a night next week and plan on going to Christmas markets (the last night). Came in here to see if it’s any good, not looking the great! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, ignore the begrudgers and bemoaners.

It's a market in a small city. It won't knock your socks off.

But you'll have a pleasant couple of hours wandering slowly thru examining the tack, eating over priced burgers, taking your picture with Padraic O'C, going up on the ferris wheel if you're feeling brave etc. And another hour or two in the beer tent if you like that ambience or a nice pub in the area if you don't. Then go home with a nice glow on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

want a decent burger for more or less same price - go to chilli shack highly recommend it.

• Advertisement

But you'have a pleasant couple of hours wandering slows thru examining the tack, eating over priced burgers, taking your picture with Padraic O'C, going up on the ferris wheel if you're feeling brave etc. And another hour or two in the beer tent if you like that ambience or a nice pub in the area if you don't. Then go home with a nice glow on you.

couple of hours,LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

seanin4711 wrote: »
    couple of hours,LOL

Presumably that includes getting back down off the big wheel. :rolleyes:

couple of hours,LOL

I've spent a few hours in the beer tent so if you go there yes it will pass a few hours.

Exactly, I think the resident moaners would prefer if we have no market at all. I'm sure they would find something else to moan about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

http://connachttribune.ie/cllr-claims-alcohol-christmas-market-sparking-disorder-300/

Captain buzzkill on his weekly crusade to get the beer tent & Ferris wheel banished for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Acohol or no alcohol...people will laugh at others stuck on a Ferris wheel. :pac:

Travel around Europe this time if year and see what's the norm for a Christmas market.
    Galway ain't it,not even close

Not a begrudger,just a realist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

FitzShane wrote: »
    http://connachttribune.ie/cllr-claims-alcohol-christmas-market-sparking-disorder-300/

Captain buzzkill on his weekly crusade to get the beer tent & Ferris wheel banished for good.
    It'd would be lovely to just once open a local newspaper without having to endure this utter dose calling for something or condemning something.

This is aside from the fact I have seen him on more than one occasion in a highly advanced state of inebriation

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Travel around Europe this time if year and see what's the norm for a Christmas market.

I have been to bigger Xmas markets in major cities around Europe, and although our is smallish it is a good size for this city.
    Had we a bigger square I suppose more vendors would have been able to put up a stall.
    It's the same stuff in all of them regardless of city: mulled wine, buns, knick-knack, hot dogs, sweets,...

Id like to challenge you on that:

Claim to be a realist; do you realise that Galway is a small city and as Biko stated does not have an ideal location. Not alone is the population small but we also have the famous traffic issues which results in a lot of the Galway catchment area not even bothering to go near the City. For example you can hardly compare the Galway market to the world famous Vienna market which has a population of 2 million people, fantastic public transport, ideal weather (this is in my opinion a huge addition to a Christmas market and continental europe have this) and an almost perfect location.

On the comparison to other markets, Ive been to the following markets over the last few years:
    Munich / Dusseldorf / Hamburg / Manchester / Dublin / Cork / Brugge / Vienna / Nice and Budapest.

Id summarise that Galway is similar to other Irish & UK markets, no worse. One thing you will note about them all is that they are much larger cities and I remember them all have plenty of space, in fact most have so much space that some even include an ice rink.

Anyways, has the council not acknowledged that things could be better and are taking control of it next year and pumping more money into it (which I assume is to move away from the current goal of the market which is to make as much money as possible for the private firm who are operating it). They mentioned focusing more on things like crafts, which to be honest are far less profitable than food / beer stands.

Also add in the holiday buzz / unfamiliar location / likely Christmas poster card weather that you get from foreign markets and you are already starting with unrealistic expectations.

I just find it boring that every year this thread is constant wingefest based on either posters having massively unrealistic expectations based on fairytails or just want an opportunity to moan. Enjoy it for what it is.

• Advertisement

Id like to challenge you on that:

Claim to be a realist; do you realise that Galway is a small city and as Biko stated does not have an ideal location. Not alone is the population small but we also have the famous traffic issues which results in a lot of the Galway catchment area not even bothering to go near the City. For example you can hardly compare the Galway market to the world famous Vienna market which has a population of 2 million people, fantastic public transport, ideal weather (this is in my opinion a huge addition to a Christmas market and continental europe have this) and an almost perfect location.

On the comparison to other markets, Ive been to the following markets over the last few years:
    Munich / Dusseldorf / Hamburg / Manchester / Dublin / Cork / Brugge / Vienna / Nice and Budapest.

Id summarise that Galway is similar to other Irish & UK markets, no worse. One thing you will note about them all is that they are much larger cities and I remember them all have plenty of space, in fact most have so much space that some even include an ice rink.

Anyways, has the council not acknowledged that things could be better and are taking control of it next year and pumping more money into it (which I assume is to move away from the current goal of the market which is to make as much money as possible for the private firm who are operating it). They mentioned focusing more on things like crafts, which to be honest are far less profitable than food / beer stands.

Also add in the holiday buzz / unfamiliar location / likely Christmas poster card weather that you get from foreign markets and you are already starting with unrealistic expectations.

I just find it boring that every year this thread is constant wingefest based on either posters having massively unrealistic expectations based on fairytails or just want an opportunity to moan. Enjoy it for what it is.

lover of fairytales and a good aul whinge!
    just my two cents to which i am entitled.
    i don't agree with you,but again i am allowed to.
    thanks for the challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There's always people moaning about the market. It's the perfect size for Galway. If it was bigger people would whinge too, about the grass/traffic/price etc etc.

I hope it's around for years to come. Brings a lot to the city.

Went on the big wheel last night.

It absolutely rained very heavily. There's no protection from this at all and we ended up totally soaked. It's very stupid that it's like that, considering just how much rain this city gets.

Very disappointed by the whole thing and adds to my belief that all it adds to Galway is a bunch of shiny lights. If it weren't there next year, I definitely wouldn't miss it very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I really like the Xmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No Macaroons this year :(

I dont get why some people get so defensive. It was brilliant the first year or two. It pales in comparison now.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

when's it finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's not the same since they change the market from being held in a square to being held on a footpath.

Why not use the big empty space by the docks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fargel

Glad to see this fraud of a market is on the way down.

Reminder that the real market is running right up until Christmas eve. Lots of local vendors, quality stuff but no crocodile arse burgers or whatever it is that they're flogging in Eyre Square :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

fargel wrote: »
    Glad to see this fraud of a market is on the way down.

Reminder that the real market is running right up until Christmas eve. Lots of local vendors, quality stuff but no crocodile arse burgers or whatever it is that they're flogging in Eyre Square :D

What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fargel

The real Galway market by St Nic's (sorry but I can't post proper links). Support local!

Advertisement