Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

fargel wrote: »
    The real Galway market by St Nic's (sorry but I can't post proper links). Support local!

Its mostly local at the "continental market" MADRA (from Camus), Charcoal Grill (not local but far from "new" to Galway for this market) have 2 spots, The Spiddal Seaweed crowd are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fargel

That "Charcoal Grill" are not connected to Galway's one. Just ripping off the name to lure in people. Par for the course for the behaviour from that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

fargel wrote: »
    That "Charcoal Grill" are not connected to Galway's one. Just ripping off the name to lure in people. Par for the course for the behaviour from that market.

There's chips available at the xmas market, although it appears you already have a very large one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There's chips available at the xmas market, although it appears you already have a very large one.

I hear you get bigger chips at St. Nicks Market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Went to a market in Essen, Germany. Preferred Galway's but then I have only been to the Galway market the first 2 years it ran. Not much in it for me but liked the beer tent, bratwurst and some of the sweets and burgers. I think it's a nice addition for the city. Been away from Galway for 6 years so my cynicism about everything is at an all-time low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Id like to challenge you on that:

Claim to be a realist; do you realise that Galway is a small city and as Biko stated does not have an ideal location. Not alone is the population small but we also have the famous traffic issues which results in a lot of the Galway catchment area not even bothering to go near the City. For example you can hardly compare the Galway market to the world famous Vienna market which has a population of 2 million people, fantastic public transport, ideal weather (this is in my opinion a huge addition to a Christmas market and continental europe have this) and an almost perfect location.

On the comparison to other markets, Ive been to the following markets over the last few years:
    Munich / Dusseldorf / Hamburg / Manchester / Dublin / Cork / Brugge / Vienna / Nice and Budapest.

Id summarise that Galway is similar to other Irish & UK markets, no worse. One thing you will note about them all is that they are much larger cities and I remember them all have plenty of space, in fact most have so much space that some even include an ice rink.

Anyways, has the council not acknowledged that things could be better and are taking control of it next year and pumping more money into it (which I assume is to move away from the current goal of the market which is to make as much money as possible for the private firm who are operating it). They mentioned focusing more on things like crafts, which to be honest are far less profitable than food / beer stands.

Also add in the holiday buzz / unfamiliar location / likely Christmas poster card weather that you get from foreign markets and you are already starting with unrealistic expectations.

I just find it boring that every year this thread is constant wingefest based on either posters having massively unrealistic expectations based on fairytails or just want an opportunity to moan. Enjoy it for what it is.

it's $h1t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This is a great little City

Link:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

FitzShane wrote: »
    It's not the same since they change the market from being held in a square to being held on a footpath.

Why not use the big empty space by the docks?

because that's owned by a private developer that's up to his eyes in debt but somehow gets to hold onto prime land such as the big empty space down the docks
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I hear you get bigger chips at St. Nicks Market

Flo's the man

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Almost over...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

It wasn't officially the Christmas season until there were posts bigging up the regular market and attacking the Christmas one.

Although for the life of me I can't see any real difference between one group trying to make a few quid and another doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

I couldn't give a toss about either markets and anyone trying to make a few quid.
    But what I care about is getting a good product for the amount of money that I spend it on.
    Don't take a genius to figure out €5-€6 on a mass produced processed sausage in a bun is ...(fill in the blanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I couldn't give a toss about either markets and anyone trying to make a few quid.
    But what I care about is getting a good product for the amount of money that I spend it on.
    Don't take a genius to figure out €5-€6 on a mass produced processed sausage in a bun is ...(fill in the blanks)

.....lovely with a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

why would a christmas market close on the 22nd?!
    whats the rationale behind that?

A few years ago there was an ice rink and fairground down by the docks.

Is that happening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sounds like every chipper everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fisher8181 wrote: »
    why would a christmas market close on the 22nd?!
    whats the rationale behind that?

A few years ago there was an ice rink and fairground down by the docks.

Is that happening this year?

Market traders from overseas want to go home and be with their families for Christmas.

Ice rink has been beside Leisureland for several years now. Is open thru to early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

Market traders from overseas want to go home and be with their families for Christmas.

maybe guy with chip on his shoulder was right!
    if it was local guys the market would stay open until christmas eve.

cant believe market closes before two of the busiest days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Closing the market early was part of the original negotiations to make sure the st Nicholas market wasn’t impacted too heavily by the “new” Christmas market. If I remember correctly from the first ever Eyre square market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

So they're dismantling the market today and have erected barriers preventing access through the square. Unfortunately, they've neglected to consider disabled folks, who are now forced to access the bus stops on the east side of the square by using the road/bus lane.
    Very inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

in there yesterday it's a bit of a rip off ,well the food is anyway
    8 euro for 2 mince pies and a cup of hot chocolate that was by all accounts not even nice.

dilallio wrote: »
    So they're dismantling the market today and have erected barriers preventing access through the square. Unfortunately, they've neglected to consider disabled folks, who are now forced to access the bus stops on the east side of the square by using the road/bus lane.
    Very inconsiderate.

Agree it's inconsiderate - or worse.

But was temporary, and is now gone.

• Advertisement

fisher8181 wrote: »

cant believe market closes before two of the busiest days!

Town's a lot less busy today than it was last Saturday.

People coming home for Christmas will already have done their shopping where they normally live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

in there yesterday it's a bit of a rip off ,well the food is anyway
    8 euro for 2 mince pies and a cup of hot chocolate that was by all accounts not even nice.

I'll never get this. Why'd you pay for it then? Shouldn't we be mad at you for supporting these extortionists?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

I'll never get this. Why'd you pay for it then? Shouldn't we be mad at you for supporting these extortionists?

i didn't ..

I walked by the market yesterday as they were dismantling it. And it was the first time I noticed the manger( sad boxed-in display in a shed), or really saw the Christmas tree.
    I felt really depressed that what should be the most important features of this time of year, were almost peripheral figures.
    When the corporation take over the running of the market next year I hope they try to build the market around the manger and tree and not banish them to the edge.

I walked by the market yesterday as they were dismantling it. And it was the first time I noticed the manger( sad boxed-in display in a shed), or really saw the Christmas tree.
    I felt really depressed that what should be the most important features of this time of year, were almost peripheral figures.
    When the corporation take over the running of the market next year I hope they try to build the market around the manger and tree and not banish them to the edge.

Ha religion, this should be good.

Te most important features of this time of year, were almost peripheral figures. When the corporation take over the running of the market next year I hope they try to build the market around the manger and tree and not banish them to the edge.

Surely if the council are running it, it will have to be 100% secular? No manger, no stalls with decorations featuring cribs or angels, no religious music being played over the PA, no nuns running stalls. 'Cos .. they're like the council. Tax payer funded etc. Can't be having public religion.

Surely if the council are running it, it will have to be 100% secular? No manger, no stalls with decorations featuring cribs or angels, no religious music being played over the PA, no nuns running stalls. 'Cos .. they're like the council. Tax payer funded etc. Can't be having public religion.

Here's hoping

Happy Christmas to you all too.

Or should we just abandon the whole thing altogether.

Happy Christmas to you all too.

Or should we just abandon the whole thing altogether.

Why go for two fairytales when one is plenty?! Santa gives better gifts than Jebus any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Where’s the bar staff in the beer tent hired from? Do you apply to the market itself or are the staff hired out from certain pubs? Cheers

Advertisement