Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red warning for Galway Monday 16 October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Have been following the thread in the Weather forum and got in plenty of water, candles, batteries and gas cartridges for the camping cooker, just in case :o

My husband and sons think it's hilarious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Looking out my window and seeing several large trampolines dotting the landscape of neighbours gardens.
    I hope those are easy to disassemble and we won't be relying on the heavy winds to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Looking out my window and seeing several large trampolines dotting the landscape of neighbours gardens.
    I hope those are easy to disassemble and we won't be relying on the heavy winds to do it.

There was a winter recently (2014/2015?) where we got 12 storms back-to-back. I remember trampolines flying all over the place that winter but I think people learned valuable lessons. They seem to be a lot more secure lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was a winter recently (2014/2015?) where we got 12 storms back-to-back. I remember trampolines flying all over the place that winter but I think people learned valuable lessons. They seem to be a lot more secure lately.

Yeah I remember that too. :D It didn't seem to occur to anyone to take them down for some reason. Hopefully this year will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

All school buses operated by Bus Eireann cancelled on Monday in Red warning areas due to storm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Storm 10 wrote: »
    All school buses operated by Bus Eireann cancelled on Monday in Red warning areas due to storm
    Hundreds more cars on the road then

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Hundreds more cars on the road then

Most schools will be closed

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Most schools will be closed
    Source?

News - "Schools will make their own decisions on whether to open or remain closed, but School Transport Scheme services will not operate in – or into – areas affected by Status Red."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thankfully there aren't especially high tides but flooding could still happen with a storm of this intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Source?

News - "Schools will make their own decisions on whether to open or remain closed, but School Transport Scheme services will not operate in – or into – areas affected by Status Red."

Any school that remains open are v irresponsible . Alot of schools here in Cork are rightly shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is it really worse than that year of constant storms.

Source?

Any school would be taking a big risk if anything happened & they ignored a red warning

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is it really worse than that year of constant storms.

This has the potential to be unlike anything we have seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Discodog wrote: »

Well Shag. I'm right beside the bloody Atlantic.

So is this actually something to be proper worried about then?

Bigger than the Night of the Big Wind, bigger than Hurricane Charley?

So am I. The problem is that everything depends on the track. At the moment the models predict that the eye will be very close to Galway. That could be not too bad. But if it is offshore then we could get very high winds.

It's not panic stations. We are used to high winds. But this could be the strongest so far. The damage will be caused by falling trees - don't park near trees. Also debris like wheelie bins, loose scaffolding etc

Bigger than the Night of the Big Wind, bigger than Hurricane Charley?

We don't know. At the moment there is a Category 3 Hurricane where we haven't seen one before. It should get weaker. It will hopefully be just a nasty storm. But there is the potential for serious damage especially to power lines etc

I believe nothing till Teresa blazons us.

Worry achieves nothing.

Just be prepared with ample candles, food, fuel etc...

Tuesday will come.

Oh and don't take unnecessary journeys! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Please be very careful using candles all over the house, no one wants any accidents!!
    Use torches as much as possible, and keep your phone fully charged as much as possible on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People panicking over very little.
    It will be just a bit of wind and rain.
    We're used to that now surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It'll be a load of hot air

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I remember a big 'un that fairly thrashed the place back in around '94 '95 - around the time Cotton Eye Joe was riding high in the charts. I remember this because the power went out and so we had to listen to Galway Bay FM - for "updates" - on a battery powered radio as the wind raged outside. And GBFM was as lame back then as it is now and they seemed to play Cotton Eye Joe about fifty times throughout the evening and night. Maybe they felt that in the face of natures awesome raw power the only thing to calm the huddled masses was country influenced schlock.

Between that, the dark, and the screeching wind it was hard to tell what was actually worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Your commute might get a bit cramped on Monday morning because if Bus Eireann are too nervous to run school buses, then double decks are probably also out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Arghus wrote: »
    I remember a big 'un that fairly thrashed the place back in around '94 '95 - around the time Cotton Eye Joe was riding high in the charts. I remember this because the power went out and so we had to listen to Galway Bay FM - for "updates" - on a battery powered radio as the wind raged outside. And GBFM was as lame back then as it is now and they seemed to play Cotton Eye Joe about fifty times throughout the evening and night. Maybe they felt that in the face of natures awesome raw power the only thing to calm the huddled masses was country influenced schlock.

Between that, the dark, and the screeching wind it was hard to tell what was actually worse.

Rednex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

flazio wrote: »
    Your commute might get a bit cramped on Monday morning because if Bus Eireann are too nervous to run school buses, then double decks are probably also out.
    The reason the school buses are cancelled because they don't want kids standing on the sides of rural roads where they can get blown in front of a car or hit by debris. In theory that should apply to anybody in any location. E.g. Child getting a bus on city route. Even dropping a child to school in the car would be dangerous. You know how the wind can catch the door of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The worst of it now looks likely to miss us somewhat and be stronger in Munster, East Connacht and Leinster, as per this mornings updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Still an emerging situation, that last hurricane to hit Florida was predicted to roll up the east coast the day before it hit and it ended up going up the west coast.
    Be ready to go about your day as normal by all means but keep an eye on the forecasts. Things can still change between now and tomorrow.

The worst of it now looks likely to miss us somewhat and be stronger in Munster, East Connacht and Leinster, as per this mornings updates.

Yes it looks like the south coast will take the brunt of this storm. Wexford to Cork.

Galway/Mayo could be downgraded from Red to Orange later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

City Council need to update they don't see any threat from this storm

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/772/59/Storm-Ophelia/d,News%20Detail

Advertisement