Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red warning for Galway Monday 16 October

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Storm 10 wrote: »
    City Council need to update they don't see any threat from this storm
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/772/59/Storm-Ophelia/d,News%20Detail
    They have people working weekends? :eek:

Going by this Dept. of Education guidance, I reckon all schools in the red status counties will be closed tomorrow

The main points are
    Status Red Weather Warning

All weather warnings of Status Red will require some action on behalf of schools. Schools need to assess the potential impact of such weather events taking account of past experiences and in light of advice on the current event from the principal response agencies in their area.

A Status Red weather warning for heavy rain may be particularly relevant if the local area is prone to flooding. A Status Red warning related to ice or snow which may compact may cause local issues due to the location of the school and/or the routes taken to reach the school.

Status Red Weather Warning for Wind

Schools should note in particular Status Red weather warnings where strong winds or storm conditions are forecasted. Due to the high degree of unpredictability as to the impact of the weather associated with such a Status Red warning on local conditions schools should use the following guidance to assist them in making their assessment.

Status Red weather warning for wind related conditions may be given in advance of a school opening or it may arise during the day while a school is underway.

Advance Warning of Status Red

Following consultation at a national level with the Office of Emergency Planning and the management bodies for schools, the Department of Education and Skills’ advice to schools is that they should consider not opening where a Status Red weather warning related to wind is forecast to coincide with the period/s during which students and staff would be expected to be travelling to and from school.

Whether the school should open later in the day where an improvement to the weather is forecast is a decision which should be taken in consultation with An Garda Síochána, the local authorities, school transport services and other appropriate agencies based in the school’s area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Storm continues to track east which means Cork/Waterford/Wexford will take the brunt of the winds. Galway will get a lot of rain though.

MT's post here is good:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104976106&postcount=860

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Storm continues to track east which means Cork/Waterford/Wexford will take the brunt of the winds. Galway will get a lot of rain though.

MT's post here is good:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104976106&postcount=860

so will the red alert be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

From what I heard schools in Red alert areas went from "suggested" to mandated closures.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1015/912467-ophelia/

Morecast app forecasts 14mm of rain and gusts up to 58mph. Not that different from last Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Schools, NUIG and GMIT closed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I wonder will the crane and extensive scaffolding on the Garda HQ survive the storm, some scaffolding looks precarious to me, no activity on site today or yesterday to secure it, yet this storm was flagged since Friday evening.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

kabakuyu wrote: »
    I wonder will the crane and extensive scaffolding on the Garda HQ survive the storm, some scaffolding looks precarious to me, no activity on site today or yesterday to secure it, yet this storm was flagged since Friday evening.:mad:

I thought the same as I drove past this evening, there is also another scaffold along merchants road which could become unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Schools, NUIG and GMIT closed tomorrow.
    Conferrings in NUIG scheduled for tomorrow rescheduled to Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

Red alert for entire country now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ratracer wrote: »
    I thought the same as I drove past this evening, there is also another scaffold along merchants road which could become unstable.

Ditto on Shop / Abbeygate st Three shop too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Hopefully city hall opened some extra emergency accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Hopefully city hall opened some extra emergency accommodation

I saw a message from Cope earlier on FB saying extra accommodation will be organised for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Are there any of the factories closing tomorrow?
    Lot of people from rural areas and even other counties will be driving in tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So far looks like a lot of the major multinationals are cancelling the morning shifts and meeting late afternoon to discuss night shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are there any of the factories closing tomorrow?
    Lot of people from rural areas and even other counties will be driving in tomorrow.

I've heard Medtronic are closed

That's just what I heard, not verified info

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So far looks like a lot of the major multinationals are cancelling the morning shifts and meeting late afternoon to discuss night shifts

Where did you hear this?

It makes sense that it would happen, but I haven't heard a peep yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've heard Medtronic are closed

That's just what I heard, not verified info

There's a special text that Medtronic people get in emergency situations if they are not to come in. The text has yet to be sent from what I hear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

It makes sense that it would happen, but I haven't heard a peep yet.

Working in them over weekend. Been in touch with facilities from a few buildings and most are not starting the morning shifts.. Feck knows how long i'll be working yet.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There's a special text that Medtronic people get in emergency situations if they are not to come in. The text has yet to be sent from what I hear.

As I said, it's just what a friend told me a while ago. It could be that his specific department were told not to come into work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Bus eireann have announced ALL services suspended from tomorrow am till 14:00 at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Barna waste will not be collecting tomorrow. Do not put your bin out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Where is Teresa Mannion? We need her now more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Word on the street says Corbett Court shopping centre is closed tomorrow. If you work there, check with your manager before heading to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Fúck forgot to get pasta sauce yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 82,610 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Forth Fisher on route to Galway, hopefully they take shelter before the main storm hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What time is the worst to hit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

BE cancelled services most of the day. Couldn't find any info on gobus site while Citylink site says services as usual but subject to delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Bullocks wrote: »
    What time is the worst to hit ?

Lunchtime / early afternoon for Galway

Advertisement