Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red warning for Galway Monday 16 October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I got the automated phone call from medtronic last night at 11.10pm. Said the plant was open but if you feel it's not safe enough to travel do not do so.....wish they would have made a clear decision 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Forth Fisher on route to Galway, hopefully they take shelter before the main storm hits.

Ship Galway Fisher is anchored off Ballyvaughan for the last 24 hrs, while its sheltered from southerly winds, I don't understand why it didn't come into the docks, anyone know what it would do this?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:185886/zoom:10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Breezy but still calm enough along the prom.

Cocos cafe in Salthill appear to be opening so they must be fairly optimistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Unfortunate day for my girlfriend to have to start a new job out in aviva in knocknacarra. She is stressing out here big time. Seems like the storm has tracked a bit more Westerly over night. We in for a battering in the city today?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

testtech05 wrote: »
    Unfortunate day for my girlfriend to have to start a new job out in aviva in knocknacarra. She is stressing out here big time. Seems like the storm has tracked a bit more Westerly over night. We in for a battering in the city today?

yeah supposedly we are back in the firing line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Boston Scientific let staff come in only to send them home again. Some of those lads will be making a 80-100 mile round trip and more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Wonder what pubs will open today? Most buisness, schools, outpatients, shops, factories n only essential services opened. Won't stop publicans trying to make a quick buck though

Pubs in Galway open. Hardy feckers down here I tells ya

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

buzz11 wrote: »
    Ship Galway Fisher is anchored off Ballyvaughan for the last 24 hrs, while its sheltered from southerly winds, I don't understand why it didn't come into the docks, anyone know what it would do this?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:185886/zoom:10

Looking at its last track it left Galway docks around high tide yesterday afternoon, they probably wanted to get out while the option was there with the tide, will be well sheltered where they are anchored and then they can get moving fast when it dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Any idea what time this is expected to pass at? Bus Eireann and Irish Ferries suggesting a service resumption at 2PM, is that optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any idea what time this is expected to pass at? Bus Eireann and Irish Ferries suggesting a service resumption at 2PM, is that optimistic?

It's 2pm tomorrow which I think will be all clear by then for Irish Ferries, however there may be roads closed by fallen trees that will cause problems for Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Medtronic shutting at 10 am as the update is now worse for galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

UsBus wrote: »
    Medtronic shutting at 10 am as the update is now worse for galway...

delayed start for evening shift. might have to go in after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Boston Scientific let staff come in only to send them home again. Some of those lads will be making a 80-100 mile round trip and more.

Because they came in, they'll likely be paid for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Anybody wondering CEO of SAP closes our doors today, If possible work from home

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

UsBus wrote: »
    I got the automated phone call from medtronic last night at 11.10pm. Said the plant was open but if you feel it's not safe enough to travel do not do so.....wish they would have made a clear decision ��

I heard they sent everyone home by 10am. Considering one building is under construction, the portacabins, the marquees, and the exposed spot itself, it’s going to be seriously dangerous up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Avaya says Galway offices are only open for employees to collect their laptops so they can work from home. :pac:

They should've been told last night, to stay home, with full pay.
    There was no need to risk the journey, when we all know what's coming.
    Same goes for all businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DuhJerk

Mistake at national coordination level not to make announcement last night imo, the line of the storm was set since then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Teresa Mannion live from Salthill on RTE1 at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I heard that the Prom is closed now from the Golf Club to Grattan Rd. and the council are towing cars from the carparks in Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

They won't. They'll get paid for 4 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Any one have an idea when the worst of it will hit Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

3-6 by the looks of projections. Go to the weather forum, the lads there are excellent.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057797471&page=279

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Unlikely we will get hit as hard as Cork/Waterford/Wexford.
    The worst should pass betweem 2pm and 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most garages closed but if you must get that pint of milk then Topaz next to Supermacs on Tuam road is open, or was 30 mins ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

An pucan had a status up earlier detailing 12 pubs of Ophelia. Got a string of abuse and took it down. Very bad taste out of the management

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hmm I thought it would be here by now. It's fairly blustery alright where I am but nothing out of the ordinary really. Like a normal bad day so far

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They should've been told last night, to stay home, with full pay.

Regardless of what you or I think, during the storms at Christmas 2010, it was clarified that employers aren't required to pay people if they cannot get there due to weather conditions, or if the workplace is closed due to weather conditions. Some will allow annual leave to be used to cover the day, some won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Regardless of what you or I think, during the storms at Christmas 2010, it was clarified that employers aren't required to pay people if they cannot get there due to weather conditions, or if the workplace is closed due to weather conditions. Some will allow annual leave to be used to cover the day, some won't.

I don't recall any storms in Xmas 2010. I do recall a serious cold spell.

Advertisement