Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red warning for Galway Monday 16 October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Forth Fisher on route to Galway, hopefully they take shelter before the main storm hits.

She appears to have made it around Black Head and is sheltering from the southerlies...hope they can hold fast for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Regardless of what you or I think, during the storms at Christmas 2010, it was clarified that employers aren't required to pay people if they cannot get there due to weather conditions, or if the workplace is closed due to weather conditions. Some will allow annual leave to be used to cover the day, some won't.

I wish you'd stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't recall any storms in Xmas 2010. I do recall a serious cold spell.

Any excuse -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Flooding in Salthill, sea has reached back of seapoint and Toft park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

DP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

There is a website called Ventusky . it has live feed of the storm. currently it is down at the Kerry Coast

This is not a live feed. It is model based on data gathered from various weather instrumentation.

https://www.windy.com/
    https://www.ventusky.com/
    https://earth.nullschool.net/

All show the storm in different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Brightening up now in the north west.
    We didn't get anything bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

biko wrote: »
    Most garages closed but if you must get that pint of milk then Topaz next to Supermacs on Tuam road is open, or was 30 mins ago.

Every news outlet is advising people not to go outside unless it is an absolute emergency. Not sure that milk or fags or whatever constitutes an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's well clear of Galway. There will still be gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Discodog wrote: »
    It's well clear of Galway. There will still be gusts

The "eye" is clear of Galway - still plenty gusts/wind to the south of the eye.

• Advertisement

cL0h wrote: »
    Every news outlet is advising people not to go outside unless it is an absolute emergency. Not sure that milk or fags or whatever constitutes an emergency.

But, the milk...for the tea...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

In Carraroe and it's died down to a strong breeze.

Not sure what all the fuss was about as it didn't seem that severe at all

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,132 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

In Carraroe and it's died down to a strong breeze.

Not sure what all the fuss was about as it didn't seem that severe at all

TbL

What was all the fuss about red alerts for Galway ?
    They either got the track completely wrong, or they over-hyped it with all that talk of Debbie in 1961.
    I remember Debbie, and that was no comparison.
    In fact in recent years (2014 alone) we have had much worse that this in the west.

charlie14 wrote: »
    What was all the fuss about red alerts for Galway ?
    They either got the track completely wrong, or they over-hyped it with all that talk of Debbie in 1961.
    I remember Debbie, and that was no comparison.
    In fact in recent years (2014 alone) we have had much worse that this in the west.

Completely agree.

We were just saying that we've definitely had stronger winds a couple of times over the last few years.

No much flooding either.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The fuss was that a major storm was coming into Ireland, it's impossible to predict its exact strength or path. It has claimed 3 lives so far. Around the county there are trees down and blocking roads. Power is out in various parts of the county so it's right to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yea I'd agree we have definitely had worse average days than that, and they go largely unreported and unrecognised.

flazio wrote: »
    The fuss was that a major storm was coming into Ireland, it's impossible to predict its exact strength or path. It has claimed 3 lives so far. Around the county there are trees down and blocking roads. Power is out in various parts of the county so it's right to err on the side of caution.

Maybe, but the problem might be the next time there is a red warning people may not pay it sufficient heed.

If that was a hurricane, we have hurricanes in Connemara every year.

Apparently all schools shut again tomorrow, seems excessively cautious to me.

TbL

Maybe, but the problem might be the next time there is a red warning people may not pay it sufficient heed.

If that was a hurricane, we have hurricanes in Connemara every year.

TbL

I have lived here for 16 years & we have never had a hurricane. There is a lot of damage & three people dead. This may be a Galway thread but the government sensibly thought about the country.

This is a historic event. It has never happened before & it had to be treated with caution. What if some scaffolding fell in Galway & killed people ? You would be saying that they should of issied a red warning.

I work outdoors & I am often critical of ME but this time they got it absolutely right

I have lived here for 16 years & we have never had a hurricane. There is a lot of damage & three people dead. This may be a Galway thread but the government sensibly thought about the country

Yes you're right we've never had a hurricane

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

big big tree down in garden,car damaged by flying debris,fence gate blown over and warped,lots of garden stuff damaged, not in the city, kilkerrin, some got no wind,others like myself got battered and had worst winds they can recall,power gone nearly everywhere out here too.

its a major event for me for sure

• Advertisement

Yes you're right we've never had a hurricane

TbL

There has never been a proper hurricane this far west or north. It's why it made headline news in the USA & why they did much of the tracking.

Take a look in the weather forum here

I have lived here for 16 years & we have never had a hurricane. There is a lot of damage & three people dead. This may be a Galway thread but the government sensibly thought about the country.

This is a historic event. It has never happened before & it had to be treated with caution. What if some scaffolding fell in Galway & killed people ? You would be saying that they should of issied a red warning.

I work outdoors & I am often critical of ME but this time they got it absolutely right

Erring on the side of caution is all very well and good, but like the little boy that cried wolf it can have the consequence of being ignored when there is a real problem.

Erring on the side of caution is all very well and good, but like the little boy that cried wolf it can have the consequence of being ignored when there is a real problem.

How many more dead & wrecked trees, buildings etc do you want before it's a real problem ?

Galway got off lightly because of the unusual SE wind direction.

Arah here, they didn't know how strong or weak it could be. There was no chances to be taken. We got off lightly here, but lots of other parts of the country weren't so lucky. Using the analogy of the little boy who cried wolf is clutching at straws, badly looking for something to whine about.

There has never been a proper hurricane this far west or north. It's why it made headline news in the USA & why they did much of the tracking.

Take a look in the weather forum here

There still hasn`t been, and as for the tracking Met Eireann would have been better off following Magicseaweed.
    They got it spot on with both wind and sea swell.

There still hasn`t been, and as for the tracking Met Eireann would have been better off following Magicseaweed.

ME got it perfectly right & had constant accurate updates. Yes the hurricane reverted as they all do. But 24 hours ago we had a genuine Cat 3 heading towards us. They would of been mad not to issue a countrywide red.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TbL you seem to expect forecasters to have some method of predicting exactly where the storm is going, how strong it's going to be and how long it will last.
    Forecasting isn't that accurate. Even in places where these happen all the time it's not an exact science. Irma was supposed to track up the west coast of Florida and it ended up going the east coast. Places up that West coast of Florida don't think the warnings were a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

TbL

3 people died today ffs

I just checked & they got it wrong. They even use ME data.

• Advertisement

How many more dead & wrecked trees, buildings etc do you want before it's a real problem ?

So you reckon the government should close down the entire country for every storm that may fell some trees ?
    Had that been the practice 2014 based on Weat of Ireland weather the country would have been shut down for a month.
    I don`t know where they were getting their advice from, but as I`ve said earlier an surfers website has (not for the first time either) got it spot on.

Advertisement