Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red warning for Galway Monday 16 October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

charlie14 wrote: »
    So you reckon the government should close down the entire country for every storm that may fell some trees ?
    Had that been the practice 2014 based on Weat of Ireland weather the country would have been shut down for a month.
    I don`t know where they were getting their advice from, but as I`ve said earlier an surfers website has (not for the first time either) got it spot on.

Maybe for Galway but not for the country. This storm was totally different. Yes I know that it's the done thing to say that it was just a wimper & that connemara men have known far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,132 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Discodog wrote: »
    I just checked & they got it wrong. They even use ME data.

I don`t know where you checked for, but for Galway in both wind strength and sea swell they got both spot on.

I don`t know where you checked for, but for Galway in both wind strength and sea swell they got both spot on.

I study the weather pretty closely. I also walk twice a day along the shore. ME were spot on with this days ago & issued the first red on saturday.

Maybe for Galway but not for the country. This storm was totally different. Yes I know that it's the done thing to say that it was just a wimper & that connemara men have known far worse

Not just Connemara,Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal have all known far worse.
    At least now they will have some consolation knowing the next time it happens the rest of the country will close down under a government declared emergency

Not just Connemara,Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal have all known far worse.
    At least now they will have some consolation knowing the next time it happens the rest of the country will close down under a government declared emergency

It's amazing how you know the history, wind speeds, tides etc of all these storms so much better than the experts. You weren't one of the idiots swimming in Salthill ?

• Advertisement

I study the weather pretty closely. I also walk twice a day along the shore. ME were spot on with this days ago & issued the first red on saturday.

From what we know in Galway today is that ME got their red alerts wrong on Saturday.
    I live within 100 meters of the shore and have learned from experience that for wind and swell magicseaweed is much more dependable. And I`m not a surfer.

It's amazing how you know the history, wind speeds, tides etc of all these storms so much better than the experts. You weren't one of the idiots swimming in Salthill ?

No, nor was I one of the windsurfing idiots that Rescue 116 based in Shannon had to be tasked to Louth to rescue.
    Btw, where did I say I was some historian on wind speeds or sea swells ?
    As for tides, you do not need to be an expert. They are pretty much like clockwork.
    What I do know if the forecasters I follow got it spot as opposed to some of these experts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

We dodged a bullet today alright. It wasn't bad in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Erring on the side of caution is all very well and good, but like the little boy that cried wolf it can have the consequence of being ignored when there is a real problem.

This is just nonsense.
    This was a real problem......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So would you suggest alert statuses should start being relating to current situations rather than forecasted conditions?
    "We are in an amber alert situation now, we will advise you if it turns red, keep carrying on"

That'd never work.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    This is just nonsense.
    This was a real problem......

It may have been a problem in certain areas of the country, but from what I can tell you living in a county that was under a severe red alert weather warning since Saturday, it was less a problem than any number of storms we have had here. Even as recent as 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Is it over for Galway?

flazio wrote: »
    So would you suggest alert statuses should start being relating to current situations rather than forecasted conditions?
    "We are in an amber alert situation now, we will advise you if it turns red, keep carrying on"

That'd never work.

What I am suggesting is that if you issue red alert severe weather warnings for areas that never materialise, then there is a real danger that they will eventually be disregarded.

What I am suggesting is that if you issue red alert severe weather warnings for areas that never materialise, then there is a real danger that they will eventually be disregarded.

And if you don't issue them & people get killed it's just bad luck :rolleyes:

You do know that Galway isn't just the city ? My neighbours, including a retired fisherman, farmer etc all think that the warning was justified. It was very different in other parts of County Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

flazio wrote: »
    TbL you seem to expect forecasters to have some method of predicting exactly where the storm is going, how strong it's going to be and how long it will last.
    Forecasting isn't that accurate. Even in places where these happen all the time it's not an exact science. Irma was supposed to track up the west coast of Florida and it ended up going the east coast. Places up that West coast of Florida don't think the warnings were a waste of time.

I'm no weather expert but what I do know is, the area I live in experienced strong winds today (but in my opinion we've had more severe winds over the last couple of years), we'd moderate rain, no flooding, no trees down, and no flying debris, so that suggests to me that the weather forecasters got it wrong for my area.

I stand by my opinion that closing schools for a second day in an area that experienced no damage is overly cautious and for someone to try and use the tragic deaths of 3 people to disparage that opinion is frankly pathetic

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I'm no weather expert but what I do know is, the area I live in experienced strong winds today (but in my opinion we've had more severe winds over the last couple of years), we'd moderate rain, no flooding, no trees down, and no flying debris, so that suggests to me that the weather forecasters got it wrong for my area.

I stand by my opinion that closing schools for a second day in an area that experienced no damage is overly cautious and for someone to try and use the tragic deaths of 3 people to disparage that opinion is frankly pathetic

TbL

Sorry that opinion does not correlate to the groupthink, you will be reprimanded. ;)

Sorry that opinion does not correlate to the groupthink, you will be reprimanded. ;)

I am sure that the 350,000 who lost power & some of which won't get it back for 7 to 10 days agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Despite all the warning given 3 people died as a result of the storm. Just becasue you were ok doesnt mean it wasnt a bad storm

TbL

Are you ignoring the reports ? 35 trees down on roads according to the Tribune & that's just the ones on main roads. Flooding at Salthill.

If you heard the explanation, the decision was made because no one knows if schools have suffered damage until they get in them & look.

It may have been a problem in certain areas of the country, but from what I can tell you living in a county that was under a severe red alert weather warning since Saturday, it was less a problem than any number of storms we have had here. Even as recent as 2014.

Do you know what that is called?
    Hindsight.
    All of the best minds in their country and indeed the US when it comes to this type of weather predicted the that the actual impact of the weather was difficult to call but that life threatening events would hit various parts of the country at various times throughout the day. This was a problem. A big problem.
    How do you suggest they should have dealt with the information they had yesterday bearing in mind some of the behaviour and events we have seen occur today and of course with the benefit of hindsight.

I have seen worse weather myself in the past 20 years with less warning but that isn't the point at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Are you ignoring the reports ? 35 trees down on roads according to the Tribune & that's just the ones on main roads. Flooding at Salthill.

If you heard the explanation, the decision was made because no one knows if schools have suffered damage until they get in them & look.

Go and read my post again, good man

TbL

Despite all the warning given 3 people died as a result of the storm. Just becasue you were ok doesnt mean it wasnt a bad storm

Nobody is saying it wasn`t a bad storm, but did it justify closing down the whole country and now keeping schools closed tomorrow in areas that in the recent past have experienced worse without such measures being implemented ?

The three deaths are tragic and regrettable but they were all in relation to trees and similar have been due in the past to winds of force eight or even less.
    Are people now calling for the country to be shut down the next time force eight winds are predicted for part of the country?

So you reckon the government should close down the entire country for every storm that may fell some trees ?
    Had that been the practice 2014 based on Weat of Ireland weather the country would have been shut down for a month.
    I don`t know where they were getting their advice from, but as I`ve said earlier an surfers website has (not for the first time either) got it spot on.

TbL

The mid boggles at some of the thoughts on here.

People absolutely love complaining - they'll pick anything to complain about. I love complaining about people who complain about the most silly of notions.

Do you know what that is called?
    Hindsight.
    All of the best minds in their country and indeed the US when it comes to this type of weather predicted the that the actual impact of the weather was difficult to call but that life threatening events would hit various parts of the country at various times throughout the day. This was a problem. A big problem.
    How do you suggest they should have dealt with the information they had yesterday bearing in mind some of the behaviour and events we have seen occur today and of course with the benefit of hindsight.

I have seen worse weather myself in the past 20 years with less warning but that isn't the point at all.

What you seem to wish to ignore is that the information they had as far as my area goes was incorrect.
    Far as I can see they issued incorrect area alerts Saturday, then panicked and shut the whole country down.
    That is dangerous imo in that keep doing that and people will ignore a genuine alert.
    I don`t know if you are familiar with anyone in the fishing industry but that is something that has been happening for years and has cost lives.

The mid boggles at some of the thoughts on here.

People absolutely love complaining - they'll pick anything to complain about. I love complaining about people who complain about the most silly of notions.

Good job then I am not somebody that pays much heed to people who regard others opinions as silly notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jesus this thread is the pits.
    Are people actually complaining that Met Eireann got it wrong?!
    Better overshoot it than undershoot it, always. How many people stayed indoors today that could have potentially put themselves at risk?
    The mind boggles sometimes.
    Just be thankful you and the people you love are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Galway got lucky, but the storm did severe damage elsewhere and it was better to be prepared for that possibility. How is that so difficult for some people to understand?

What you seem to wish to ignore is that the information they had as far as my area goes was incorrect.
    Far as I can see they issued incorrect area alerts Saturday, then panicked and shut the whole country down.
    That is dangerous imo in that keep doing that and people will ignore a genuine alert.
    I don`t know if you are familiar with anyone in the fishing industry but that is something that has been happening for years and has cost lives.
    Predicting the weather is an exact science as you well know.

Good job then I am not somebody that pays much heed to people who regard others opinions as silly notions.

Good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everyone chill the jets a bit, thx

Advertisement