Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red warning for Galway Monday 16 October

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,132 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

anna080 wrote: »
    Jesus this thread is the pits.
    Are people actually complaining that Met Eireann got it wrong?!
    Better overshoot it than undershoot it, always. How many people stayed indoors today that could have potentially put themselves at risk?
    The mind boggles sometimes.
    Just be thankful you and the people you love are okay.

Small problem with that overshot by Met Eireann.
    Fine with it if they do not do it too often, but in the case of the fishing industry they have been doing it for years.
    I just wouldn`t like to see it becoming the norm for them to overshoot and close the rest of the country down when not called for.

kippy wrote: »
    Predicting the weather is an exact science as you well know.

Never said it was, but neither should it operate on the scale of guesstimate and panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

charlie14 wrote: »
    Small problem with that overshot by Met Eireann.
    Fine with it if they do not do it too often, but in the case of the fishing industry they have been doing it for years.
    I just wouldn`t like to see it becoming the norm for them to overshoot and close the rest of the country down when not called for.

I'm nearly 30 years old and can count on one hand the times schools & work have been closed for weather.
    Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Never said it was, but neither should it operate on the scale of guesstimate and panic.

You think weather prediction is about guesstimating and panicking?
    Time to burn the books then.

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm nearly 30 years old and can count on one hand the times schools & work have been closed for weather.
    Calm down.

Nothing to calm down about.

I`m double your age and can recall any number of times schools & work were not closed for weather much much worse than we have experience here today.
    Even many times during your 30 years.

Just think if it is going to become the norm in future it is a bit silly really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

charlie14 wrote:
    What you seem to wish to ignore is that the information they had as far as my area goes was incorrect. Far as I can see they issued incorrect area alerts Saturday, then panicked and shut the whole country down. That is dangerous imo in that keep doing that and people will ignore a genuine alert. I don`t know if you are familiar with anyone in the fishing industry but that is something that has been happening for years and has cost lives.

People died, buildings destroyed, flooding, power outages, difficult driving conditions and debris scattered across the country. I'm not sure what you expected but I think you may of watched one too many films. It justified a status red warning. It's notoriously difficult to assess what a storm will do when it makes landfall and it begins to lose power. I believe the safest option was taken. If what hit the south of the country continued unabated to Galway it would of been a serious storm to withstand. And trying to get everyone from children to college kids to workers off the streets with a couple hours notice would of been irresponsible.

kippy wrote: »
    You think weather prediction is about guesstimating and panicking?
    Time to burn the books then.

I wouldn`t be someone who favours book burning.
    Then again I am not someone who would regard others opinions as silly notions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Nothing to calm down about.

I`m double your age and can recall any number of times schools & work were not closed for weather much much worse than we have experience here today.
    Even many times during your 30 years.

Just think if it is going to become the norm in future it is a bit silly really.

So what you're saying is Met Eireann needs to adapt a more blasé attitude to serious hurricane threats?

Gotya.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

charlie14 banned from thread until tomorrow dinner-time.
    Everyone else, keep it local. General discussion can happen in Weather or AH.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks like another tropical storm heading our way for Saturday, discussion opened already on the weather forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Looks like another tropical storm heading our way for Saturday, discussion opened already on the weather forum

Ah now, in fairness......it's not as clear cut as that tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

:D

Did he say "wolf"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

New normal for us now

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

pjohnson wrote: »
    New normal for us now

"Tropical storms" are the new "heatwaves". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

If you looked out your back garden and saw the wheelie bins were still upright it doesn’t mean that a red alert weather warning should not have been issued.
    Basing things on your “area” means nothing.

I am aware the troll was banned, nevertheless its worth highlighting the extent of the damage just from fallen trees alone far exceeds any past events as far as I can tell

Given that all 3 deaths are related to fallen trees, things could have been much, much worse if this event was not taken seriously

Update from Galway County Council: These incidents will be prioritised and will be dealt with when it is safe to do so. It is probable that most of these will not be dealt with until tomorrow, so all road users should exercise extreme caution.

Galway County Council advises that people should avoid any unnecessary travel, due to the high winds, stormy conditions and flying debris.

Please note the status of the following roads in the County:

Roads blocked and closed due to fallen trees:

Athenry to Esker Road, trees down in both directions

N84 – Clonboo, trees down near the river

L3105 – Coolarne, Turloughmore

L2119 – Corrandulla village near Garda station

L4101 – Sawleen Road, Renville West

MoyvillaOranmore, near Mother Hubbards

Tiernascragh Road, Ballycrissane, Portumna

Lough Cutra Estate, Gort

L6182 – between Corrandrum School and Peggys Bar

L1613 – Ballinrobe Road out of Clonbur

Rathglass, New Inn

L3105 – Canteeney, Turloughmore

L6182 – Cartron to Kilgill Road

R348 – Derrydonnell to Athenry Road, between Liam Mellows campus and Railway Bridge

R347 – near Ballyglunin Train Station

R348 – Old Aughrim to Kilconnell Road at Garrymore

R350 – Grange to Kilnadeema Road

R351 – Grange, Kilnadeema on Woodford Road

L4520 – Tullira on Labane to Craughwell Road

L41952 – St Clerans Crossroads

R339 – Menlough to Castleblakeney Road at Vermount

Shannon Road, Portumna

Station Road, Loughrea

R332 Tuam to Ballinrobe Road at Castlegrove

Kilcooney, Ballinasloe- near Deerpark

Dunmore to Glenamaddy Road, on the Glenamaddy side of Boyounagh Bridge

Monivea to Athenry Road, a mile outside Monivea

Athenry to Tuam Road, below Castleellen House

Kilconnell to Ballinasloe Road, near Garbally Demesne]

Ruane, Ballygar

Bullaun to Ballyba Road, near Bullaun

Derrydonnell to Athenry Road

Kilreekil to Kiltormer Road, near Spinning Wheel Pub

Ranamackan Road, Duniry, Loughrea

Herons Brook, Killimer, Ballinasloe

Other Incidents:

Large branch on:

Newline Road, on the Ballinasloe to Portumna Road

L8108 – Slievaun, Gortard, Clarinbridge opposite Water Tower

Tree fallen on electricity wires at Clontuskert near Aughrim Crossroads

All these locations should be avoided. Fallen trees will be prioritised and dealt with when it is safe to do so. Please note that this is the most up to date information available and may not include all roads, any further reports of fallen trees and other incidents should be reported to Galway County Council at 091 509000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

And that's just trees on roads,I'd a 30footer fall in back garden,landed bout 20ft from house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Looking at the Met Eireann tweets it really shows that Munster took the hit (as expected) but that it eased off as it travelled north across country.

https://www.joe.ie/news/weather-ophelia-worst-areas-603943

Roches Point got 156km but I believe Galway struggled to get 100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm glad things didn't get worse. Yes. it did sound like the world was going to end but I'd rather take a bit extra precaution than not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My weather station web page got 206 visits yesterday, hardly gets 20 a week other than myself!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

My weather station web page got 206 visits yesterday, hardly gets 20 a week other than myself!

link it up. Id like to check it out myself

Advertisement