Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status Red weather warning!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Not news any of us wants to read I'm afraid. I've been watching the comments on the main thread in the weather forum and hoped the storm would weaken. :(
    Memories of storm Darwin are still very fresh around here and while it might be a curiosity and academic interest for some, for those living directly in the path it's far too real and too dangerous.

We have a stock of candles, a little camping stove and extra canisters of gas, plenty of food etc and will have all phones etc charged, so as long as the roof stays on the house all will be fine.
    We'll be keeping an eye on a few elderly neighbours and making sure they're ok too. Travel will be risky at times -- last time a few lorries were blown over in Ventry and near Camp - so take care folks! Have to go to Cork early on Tuesday for a hospital appointment so will be hoping the County Council guys on both sides of the county bounds will keep things open and the traffic flowing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

lottpaul wrote: »
    Not news any of us wants to read I'm afraid. I've been watching the comments on the main thread in the weather forum and hoped the storm would weaken. :(
    Memories of storm Darwin are still very fresh around here and while it might be a curiosity and academic interest for some, for those living directly in the path it's far too real and too dangerous.

We have a stock of candles, a little camping stove and extra canisters of gas, plenty of food etc and will have all phones etc charged, so as long as the roof stays on the house all will be fine.
    We'll be keeping an eye on a few elderly neighbours and making sure they're ok too. Travel will be risky at times -- last time a few lorries were blown over in Ventry and near Camp - so take care folks! Have to go to Cork early on Tuesday for a hospital appointment so will be hoping the County Council guys on both sides of the county bounds will keep things open and the traffic flowing.

I hope it's downgraded! I remember the Darwin storm and it was awful. Thankfully our home wasn't damaged, but the amount of fallen trees after it was shocking. I am off Monday and will be home with the baby, so I really hope everything will be ok.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There wil most likely be school closures on Monday so keep an eye out for any that will affect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭ruffmut

Duagh National School will be closed. It will be reviewed if the alert is downgraded.

Apparently bus eireann school buses have said they won’t be running Monday!
    https://www.facebook.com/radiokerry/posts/10155391971750379

• Advertisement

Many schools have announced closures for Monday. The iTT are closing as well as the ETB training college.

Hopefully everyone got through the storm ok today. It seeemd to be ok in Tralee. We really escaped th worst of it. The eye of the storm was over us at one stage and it got really bright & sunny! It was quite surreal.
    Sad to hear of three deaths in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just looking at the ESB faults map,really shows how lucky the Tralee and North Kerry area was yesterday compared to the rest of the country

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Things were very windy and wild back here for a while but then I'm comparing it to Storm Darwin which was like an atomic bomb landing on the place. It did get so calm and sunny as the eye moved over but normal service resumed soon after. Good call on the red status though - the roads were almost deserted and I'm sure many accidents and perhaps worse were avoided.

Advertisement