Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

"Magic wrote:
    =);104972297"]Here's something to help understand what's coming. Presentation from The Weather Channel about 1-5 hurricane strengths.

That's reassuring and scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I'm actually getting worried.

I don't think I'll get everything I need to get done tomorrow.

I thought it was Monday 2pm, before it would hit, and that I would have Monday morn to get my last few jobs done.

Tomorrow is going to be busy.

Any last min advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Wow lads I thought it was just gonna be a bit of wind! I've an hour plus each way commute on a train for work on Monday.... I think I'll take a half day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When you hear of storms and hurricanes of this magnitude hitting countries you nearly always hear about loss of life. I truly hope our little island survives unscathed and someone won't be waking up Monday morning facing their last day..

Im very worried about Monday.Im just praying and hoping that by the time this storm passes on Monday night, that everything will be okay and there won't be too much havoc caused.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When you hear of storms and hurricanes of this magnitude hitting countries you nearly always hear about loss of life. I truly hope our little island survives unscathed and someone won't be waking up Monday morning facing their last day..

Unfortunately, looking at the attitude on some Facebook pages, it's along the lines of

"There'll be more wind in a fart"

Major weather events are so rare to us, we as a whole don't know what to do or expect.

I've people calling over tomorrow... I know for a fact they will be looking at me funny when they see an emergency kit in the kitchen with gas, lighters, hi viz equipment, lights, candles, wind up radios, and 50L of water.

When they go to the bathroom, the tub will be full of water.

.... and I'll be the crazy one.

But hey... you can't be wrong all if the time :)

Full Marx wrote: »
    Wow lads I thought it was just gonna be a bit of wind! I've an hour plus each way commute on a train for work on Monday.... I think I'll take a half day

Well... you can either spend the whole day at home, or spend the whole day trying to get home.

No point going to work if you're in an affected area, if you go to work, you'll end up being sent home when the lights go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mikeecho wrote: »
    Unfortunately, looking at the attitude on some Facebook pages, it's along the lines of

"There'll be more wind in a fart"

People (mostly men I'd suspect) will display that sort of braggadocio on websites all the time, but I guarantee they'll all be thinking about getting some batteries and candles themselves. Some people just love to seem contrarian!

MJohnston wrote: »
    People (mostly men I'd suspect) will display that sort of braggadocio on websites all the time, but I guarantee they'll all be thinking about getting some batteries and candles themselves. Some people just love to seem contrarian!

That may well account for some, but isn't the whole irish attitude of "erra, shur it'll be grand" still alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I've been talking to a relative who's a fisherman of the west coast, he's getting his info of various weather websites he uses and he reckons it won't be near as bad as what's predicted online. Might be wrong, he reckons at best a two hour rough period, it will pass quickly , hopefully he's right!

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    That may well account for some, but isn't the whole irish attitude of "erra, shur it'll be grand" still alive and well.

To be honest, I hear about that attitude far more than I actually ever encounter it (which is barely ever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm also taking this very seriously. If it turns out to be a false alarm, so be it. But I plan on being as ready as possible. Some of the social media complacency is funny. They may have the last laugh, but personally, it's not taking me much effort to put some basic plans in place. If this event comes to pass, social media will be full of the same complacent eejits doing a drama queen job come Tuesday. Tomorrow should tell us the biggest tale of what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm also taking this very seriously. If it turns out to be a false alarm, so be it.

This is it really - there's nothing at all to lose by seriously preparing for a false alarm, and everything to lose by ignoring a real alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Hi long time reader 1st time poster, how ye all?! Great to see a thread like this and seeing peoples preparedness for the storm and hopfully it encourages others not to panic and get to organised. Heard the word hurricane afew days ago and I admit I dismissed it as online clickbait guff but actualy saw the thread on here and saw what we are in for.
    Just to add my 2cents on it, Iv 2 torches and batteries under the sink. Bought a new torch in a discount store for a 5r and a set of batteries for 1.99. Id be reluctant to use candles as theyr a fire hazard and may affect your insurance if anything bad happend but needs must. Doubt this will be the only winter storm we'll get so a torch would be a good investment.
    Yesterday I put bins, flowerpots +patio stuff in the garage. Whats with all the tramapolines?? Anything loose or that can move is a hazard so best secure it or store indoors Tomorrow Im goin food shopping for the week, bagging turf+firewood and then charging my gadgets, from what I gather the ETA is 10 or 11am(?) so there will be time mon morn for a final charge. I f&%$@# hate powercuts!!!

I'm filling every sauce pan and bottle with some boards.ie , can't be running out of that :D now can we :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Make sure to park your car away from any trees / falling slate risks!

I'd avoid parking it right up close to the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I think I'll see how things look tomorrow at lunch time. If it's still looking bad I'm going to email the boss man to see of I can do Tuesday/Wednesday instead of Monday/Tuesday.

Would personally feel a bit better if I didn't have to go out Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

if electricity is gone the next day or two afterwards, don't forget you can charge your phone etc in your car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think park your car in an underground car park n ur fine

BTW bye bye Irish Trees

Nice knowing ye

I rem 1997 a sheeps head in Mulranny co Mayo got blown right around from a 70 knot plus gust n of course window smashed in pub.

In 1800km we will find out Munsters Fate

Oh yes

Kerry ye may hv the most All Irelands but on Tuesday ye may not even hv goalposts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I'm a bit worried as I am totally surrounded by large deciduous trees.
    Kinda thinking I might actually just lock up and go somewhere else for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Will there be a wheelie bin collection in the red warming zones on Monday or will they cancel it, do reckon?

If you leave a wheelie bin out in red warning zones on Monday, it probably won't be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Check batteries for you alarm encase a powercut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Carry a whistle if you need to out and about anywhere rural, shouting in 130kph winds will only reach 5meters, unless it's in a NE direction.

If the phone-lines go down, cheap PMR walkie-talkies will work <5km as they don't need any supporting communication infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Afew more that might be of some benefit to someone
    Go to a fone shop + see if they sell battries for your fon, a spare is handy to have in situations like this. Or consider buying an extra powerbank, some computor repair shops might stock them too.

If you are in a group water scheme , the pump might go if theres a powercut. Fill up saucepans +clean empty plastic milk cartons for cooking/ drinking. Im going to get sum buckets +fill them with rainwater for the bathrooms. If you have kids or pets in the house maybe use 1 of them plastic storage containers with the lids for safety. Or even a indoor dustbin with a lid

I assume most houses have a backdoor/ laundry room/ back kitchen situation so Im using mine to store the water, some bags of turf+ firewood, also got a spare bucket for the ashes to avoid going outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dunno whats going to happen

In 1997 there was a whistle.

The wall blew down

It missed my dogs head by inches

Lots of trees fell

Power went for 2 days

Monday will be that.

No internet in many places n no esb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Don't bother sending the kids to school and tell your workplaces you won't be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Will there be a wheelie bin collection in the red warming zones on Monday or will they cancel it, do reckon?

This question is amazing. Best of the thread so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I lived in Ireland, I had a "shake torch" (LED Faraday flashlight) in the house. Handy for when you don't have batteries for the torch, you find you have to change the batteries, or heck, when you find out that you need batteries :pac: A quick 5 second shake, and you had some light.

If using candles, use holders with wide bases for better stability, and also have ones with a glass candle holder in areas that may be windy (eg; near the front door).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see two possible outcomes;
    Bin gets emptied, and the bin goes flying.
    Bin doesn't get emptied, rubbish goes everywhere.

Advertisement