Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Nothing happening in Dublin
    .... .... a normal morning........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

drdeadlift wrote: »
    That wont cover them.

Do employees have any comeback though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Before I ring into a work to tell them I won't be in could someone please advise of the best reasoning. I am not the best at arguing and forsee my boss being difficult if I ring him.

Tell them you don't want to be killed

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Strange atmospherics this morning (Dublin). Had to run a quick errand and there's a low haze and the light is yellow. Flocks of birds seeming to ask each other where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

rebel456 wrote: »
    On the bus into work in Dublin just now. The Navan Road is a breeze (pardon the pub) without the extra school traffic and those deciding to stay in the bunker today. I know it will get bad later, but right now there was absolutely no need for Bus Eireann Dublin commuter services not to run until at least 9am. Crazy decision.

Yeeees, but how do people get home again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Things don't seem too bad for now where I am in cork and can hear plenty of traffic outside.
    Was told its business as usual today in work, so don't know what to do. Would hate to be the only one not to show up seeing as I probably have the shortest commute in the office.

Did I read earlier on that there are already people without power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Guys, we have a couple of polytunnels, what should I do to protect them? Any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Power cuts starting to increase now down south , it going to be a long day for those folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

People on here advising people not to go to work should be more careful. If you're based in Dublin there's no reason why you should not be working today.

Except for the red weather alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Anyone have any idea how Kilkenny looks to fare with the shift westwards that has been reported?

• Advertisement

I could see my wife's car bouncing on its suspension!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

tree blocking n71 outside clonakiklty

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

onmebike wrote: »
    Strange atmospherics this morning (Dublin). Had to run a quick errand and there's a low haze and the light is yellow. Flocks of birds seeming to ask each other where to go!

Flocks of birds here in south Dublin all flying in a northeast direction . The look on a mission

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Things don't seem too bad for now where I am in cork and can hear plenty of traffic outside.
    Was told its business as usual today in work, so don't know what to do. Would hate to be the only one not to show up seeing as I probably have the shortest commute in the office.

Have you been outside? I wouldn't drive in that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

WhiteRoses wrote: »

Judging from my workplace, a lot have called in saying they're not coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Guys, we have a couple of polytunnels, what should I do to protect them? Any advice
    Take them down if you can..,if not anchor them down with something and if they have two openings leave both open so wind can blow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What did she say?

Said she was only kidding all along:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

lazeedaisy wrote: »

Open them and let the wind in. Its what we did in Scotland as the air pressure during a gust will rip the plastic to shreds otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Picking up now in the Glen of Aherlow. Few stibg gusts in the last while.

Cars driving past our gate, madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

emeldc wrote: »
    Power gone in parts of Cork already :eek:

No surprised. It is already very windy in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anyone have any idea how Kilkenny looks to fare with the shift westwards that has been reported?

Joanna Donnolly on rte said it's a slight tilt to the west not a shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Samaris wrote: »
    Yeeees, but how do people get home again?

That could be a big issue.

If Irish Rail for example decide to cancel trains for the rest of the day they'll have to give some notice so people can get the "last" train home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Wind picking up here in Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Totally forgot there is s ducting frabricater behind us which is north... till I heard them moving bits of stuff around.. the big yard is basically like a scrapyard.,,thinking of going down there and telling them if one piece of metal is picked up by the wind I will report them for littering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Said she was only kidding all along:D:D

Lol

I could see my wife's car bouncing on its suspension!

Who's she in there with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

Wesser wrote: »
    Nothing happening in Dublin
    .... .... a normal morning........

Possibly because the storm isn't due in Dublin until afternoon? Definitely not normal in south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Before I ring into a work to tell them I won't be in could someone please advise of the best reasoning. I am not the best at arguing and forsee my boss being difficult if I ring him.

Man flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Eerily calm in Wicklow at the moment, some heavy showers that last a minute or so. The charts seem to say it'll pick up in two or three hours here though

Advertisement